Notices

Introducing Myself

Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing Myself

Hello

I have been lurking for a few weeks while tapering down to a level of alcohol that I think will allow me to go abstinent without a lot of withdrawl symptoms...still not expecting it to be easy, but I think my chance of success will be higher this way.

I have been drinking liquor and beer nightly for the past 4 years. Over the past 6 months it has progressed from nightly to starting in the afternoon, then at lunch, then finally to, I couldn't get going on anything until I pounded a 16 oz beer and maintain that "buzz" all day long with more beer and liquor until evening. What happened in the evening, I would just get totally trashed so I could hopefully sleep for at least 5 to 6 hours. Get up, do it again.

This is not the life I was born to live. I am working on reclaiming the life I had before I started drinking. Today is the first day of that life. Glad to have found this group of people.

B
Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi ImDoneWithIt

glad youre here

Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! You sound about where I was when I was drinking heavily, well, others would call it heavy drinking. I just thought it was 'normal'. Who was I trying to fool except myself? Lots of good people/advice here!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ImDoneWithIt; so glad you found us.

I hope that the support, understanding, and encouragement you find here will help you achieve lasting sobriety and recovery.

Here's to reclaiming your life!!!!!

We are here for you; lean on us.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome...I'm just coming back again....you'll find a ton of support here. I mentioned on another post, I was ashamed to even try to post here again because of my failed attempts....but I got over it and realized this is EXACTLY where I need to be. I understand the weening off.....in fact, I think I've been every kind of alcoholic ever described lol At one point, I was the daily drinker.....where it was rare if I wasn't drinking or incredibly hungover waiting to drink and feel better.....I haven't been that way in a long time....I made progress......then I was just a binge drinker....lol no big deal, right? I only drink a few times a month (IF that), but when I do WOE .....
recently it had been "controlled" but then snuck back up to more often, then blackouts/passouts every weekend.....and I'm wasting every freaking sunday!! Anyways, I digress....sorry to ramble....but that's where I'm coming from...I recently noticed I was weening myself off alcohol every weekend....drinks at sunday breakfast just to feel normal, then laying in bed all day, being sober all week, then the cycle begins.....just not cool....not what I once was....but not okay....so the weening I understand and I encourage you to REALLY nourish your body, plenty of B vitamins and healthy food....start drinking to your health. You got this.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard to SR Imdonewithit! Join the Newcomers to recovery jan 2017 thread. People you have a lot in common with are in there. How long did you spend tapering off? Just curious here. Well, good luck!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome to SR ImDoneWithIt. It's great to have you with us
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! You will find lots of support here.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Welcome aboard to SR Imdonewithit! Join the Newcomers to recovery jan 2017 thread. People you have a lot in common with are in there. How long did you spend tapering off? Just curious here. Well, good luck!
I started 2 weeks ago, I was able to go 24 hours twice and today was pretty easy. Tomorrow starts the full blown experience. Got stocked up on vitamins (which I have been taking the past week), good food (that I have been trying to eat when I was hungry), Power Aid drinks with sugar and electrolytes, and M&M's. I have a good partner who is not an alcoholic here to help me as well as support from some other friends. I think I have planned this as well as I can.

B
Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Your drinking sounds like mine, near the end of my drinking days. It was awful. Don't hesitate to get medical assistance if the withdrawal symptoms get bad.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great decision IDWI! Much support & encouragement here!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome I'm DoneWithIt

Detox can sometimes be tricky - I know seeing a Dr probably wasn't on your agenda but if you've been a regular, heavy drinker for a while, I think it's best to be safe.

D
Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"This is not the life I was born to live. "

Simple sentence, all-powerful and liberating thought.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ImDoneWithIt!!
Old 01-17-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is a great, supportive place. You'll love it here, and more importantly, it'll work if you earnestly engage in sobriety.