Notices

Traveling Professional who also works at home.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Traveling Professional who also works at home.

Hi Everyone,

I work from home and I also travel nationwide 25% of the time. I'm married with 3 lovely kids and a beautiful wife who supports me like no other. However; ever since I started working from home with no type of accountability I go out and drink for lunch and sometimes I bring a some beers home. I'm so tired of being a drunk. I never really had this problem until I started working from home.

The final straw was I just found myself drinking a six pack and then taking my kids to go out to eat after school. Then I had 3 beers with my kids while eating.

I live for my babies... I've built a successful career and live a pretty prosperous life but it is all going down the tubes. I can see my future and it is very gloomy. My wife won't stick around and watch me put her kids lives in danger.

I honestly don't know why I drink. I've had times in my life where i stopped drinking for over 4 years with no problem. It seems the more successful and happy I get the more I want to drink. I'm not sure what the hell I am looking for in life that causes me to drink....Hell the other day i started smoking for the first time in 36 years.

I'm thinking this working from home thing just isn't for me, just too much free time on my hands.

When I travel I get even more drunk because the company pays for it.

Do any of you work from home or travel for work? What do you do to not drink? How do you handle the alone time?

I plan on sticking around this forum. Thanks for listening.

My name is Jimmy and I'm definitely an alcoholic.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Jtdaddy View Post

Do any of you work from home or travel for work? What do you do to not drink? How do you handle the alone time?
welcome jt

i like business trips because i have the opportunity to get to some AA meetings in different cities, meet new people and hear new experiences

oh and it helps me stay sober too

Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to SR, glad you are joining us!!

Is it possible for you to work somewhere other than your home? Is there an office you are able to go to? If not, is the library or Starbucks an option as you think about whether or not this is the best job for you?

Whether or not working from home is contributing to you drinking too much, you are going to need a plan to help you stop drinking. I was able to use SR as my primary support, although it took me more Day Ones than I would have liked. I checked in and read and posted here daily. I joined a monthly class, and also started checking in on the 24 hour thread.

Spend some time reading around on here, think about getting a journal to start jotting down ideas that will work for you.

You can do this!

❤️Delilah
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I work from home/self employed. I have places i've built/own that I was going to daily for work related stuff but, like you, it was a bar at lunch with my partners, grab a few beers from the corner store after and then grab some booze on the way home,ect.. I think accountability can keep you sober but,sobriety has to come from you.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello

I just stepped down from a job that allowed me to work from home and travel 40% of the time. I stepped down from that job for a couple of reasons, stress of managing people and UNFORTUNATELY, the uncontrolled spending I had access to thru the companies expense system. As a manager, I could travel almost anywhere I wanted and entertain clients or sales people. I also got entertained by our vendors. Mind you this is in the food and beverage industry...so alcohol and lots of it were always involved.

In my new role, I get to work from home and my travel dropped to 1% and no expense account. I have an office, but I have found the freedom of being at home is to conducive for day drinking, so I go to a coffee shop or small restaurant that isn't too busy and I setup shop.

I wish you luck.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! I'm really enjoying my road to recovery and this forum. Your responses helped me out a lot.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I work from home...have doe so for about 12 years...it can definitely lead to drinking.
I am in sales so there is so much to do during the day and I always have to be sharp...but it was real easy to grab a beer at 530 or 6 EVERY NIGHT and drink til 8 or 830 and then go to bed...did it for years and much more on weekends...but I do like working from home...good luck to you!
Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I travel for work and present at conferences. I'd always get a bucket of ice and a big bottle of wine and sit in my hotel room and drink. I'd go down to the bar and have one or two there with dinner, back up to drink till I passed out. Feel like crud in the morning but get up and present again. My next presentation will be first time away sober, thought I'd finally get to the gym in the hotel, swim?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I travel a lot for work. I'm actually in a hotel right now finishing up my room service dinner. I'll be honest though. I didn't really travel that much my first year of sobriety. I had to learn how to live a sober life before I faced old foes like airports, hotels and client dinners.

But now it's no big deal. I travel to work, not to party, and drinking would not be beneficial to me or my clients. No one cares if I order iced tea at dinner instead of beer. And as someone else mentioned, traveling is a great way to try out new AA meetings. I've been to meetings all over the country and met some awesome, sober people.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Jimmy,

Your situation is SO familiar to me, bud. I too am a traveling professional. I travel for work approximately 80% of the time, sometimes nationally, mostly the western third of the country. I fly out on Mondays and fly home Fridays, at home on the weekends. The remaining 20% of the time, I work from home, documenting what I did on the road. Like you, I have a great deal of autonomy while doing so, so sometimes it feels like there isn't much accountability, as long as my work is done. I could get away with A LOT, if I were both careful and less scrupulous, and for awhile, unfortunately, I was. That life just about did me in. Once early last year, while working from home, I was also pounding vodka, to the point that I passed out around 11:00am or so. I was ahead of my deadlines, but by chance my boss repeatedly attempted to contact me about a routine but important question that required an answer that only I was in a position to provide. I was unresponsive all day...you can imagine why. He became worried and contacted my next of kin (my brother) to ensure I was OK. At that point, I probably could have weaseled my way out of hot water with some BS excuse, but I chose to stop fighting, the jig was up. That was on a Thursday. I called my boss, then HR on Friday, and checked myself into rehab the following Monday. Was in for a month, and went to 6 weeks of IOP after that. My employer was very supportive. It worked very well for me, but how to stay sober with that work environment?

This probably isn't very helpful, but to be honest it hasn't been as horrible or as difficult as I thought *once I got the drinking under control (i.e. eliminated)* and learned to tap my support system. Sitting in hotel rooms with an expense account can be a recipe for disaster.

I learned that the constant negotiating with myself about "just one" is a non-starter. There is no "just one" with me. When I got my head wrapped around that idea, and made it an article of faith, it has gone pretty smoothly, as random "urges" have never been a big thing with me. I also have a handful of very close friends at a different geographical division of my employer (where I previously lived), who I told about my problem, and that I got treatment. I am able to contact them via phone, instant message or email any time, and they all check on me from time to time. Feel free to PM me if you want to compare notes further about our non-traditional work situations.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jimmy!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy. You and I are kindred spirits in that we are both alcoholics and work from home. I also travel a fair percentage of the time which doesn't help the drinking situation at all. In fact, if anything, I drink more when I am traveling than I do when I stay at home. I do believe the connection and exacerbation of your drinking tendencies are enhanced by the freedom you enjoy when it comes to dividing your time between working and drinking. Honestly, I frequently do both and have done so without any serious business backlash (so far!). I've been a "functioning alcoholic" like this for years but things have gone into a different level in the last year or two, hence one of my key motivators to want to quit (I'm also addicted to opioids as a result of some spinal issues I have but that's another story).

The reality of it all for me is that, despite the fact that I realize it is slowly killing me and that there are a million reasons that I should stop drinking, the bottom line is that I drink because I like the way it makes me feel. I play all sorts of mind-game justifications to rationalize my behavior. The fact that, like you, I can get away with drinking virtually at will without it affecting my job to any noticeable degree is a big motivator for me to want to push the limits of my drinking habits. Not good.

My plan is to confess my addiction to my doctor and ask for his help and guidance. I've been lying to him for years about my substance-abuse issues and it's time to come clean. A scary step to take for sure but a necessary one if I am to remain among the living to a reasonable age. In order to quit, I'm convinced (thanks to some sage advice from others on this forum) that I will need to go into a detox facility. I cannot do this on my own. I have confessed my problem to my wife (she knew anyway but the confession act itself is very beneficial from my viewpoint) and she is all-in regarding me reaching out to a recovery facility to get myself clean and sober. For me, that initial step is the hardest one to accept. I (and you!) can do this but, if you are a compulsive drinker like I am, you'll realize the futility of your will is very evident and that help is what you need. That's the route I intend to take and will confess my lying and discuss treatment options during my next appointment with my doctor. That's the only hope for me.

You know the inevitability of what of what the future holds unless you can find the courage and resolve to switch gears and go in a clean and sober direction. PM me if you like....I live in Houston so maybe a couple of Texans can help each other out in this struggle against the sneaky and cunning demon that plagues us both.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This sounds so familiar, and on day 7 now and struggling a bit, happy to see this post! I work both home and office as needed, again a lot of autonomy. Also care for my son a significant part of time and that stress has also justified drinking wine for stress relief. I can tell you this, you may not realize how much addicting it becomes until you try to quit. I'm on try 3...

PS. I'm also in TX
Old 01-17-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jt, that was my exact situation. No adult supervision and I worked from home. I don't know how I did it, but I came to SR have been sober for almost a year. So, it can be done by sticking around SR, with this caveat: I approach sobriety like a mission, I take my sobriety very seriously. You can't play around with booze.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

AA

There are meetings in every city you go to. When you attend a meeting, let them know you are from out of town, there on business. They will treat you like family.