Notices

I'm too young to be this angry.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm too young to be this angry.

Posted here this past summer and tried sobering up. Made it ten days and it was over.I'm 24 years old. Mother and Father are both alcoholics. They are good people but miserable all the same. I love them but I loathe the thought of becoming them. I need to sober up. I'm moving in February for a solid job opportunity and will be surrounded with very solid friends that are great influences.

I don't think I'm an alcoholic. Just might be in a funk? Hell I don't know. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcoem back CJ

I dunno if you're an alcoholic either but the fact you're here means drinking's causing you problems or concern, and the fact you went back to drinking after posting here a bit indicates some kind of problem letting it go.

I think alcohol or not not drinking at all ever might solve a few of those things?

D
Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sober style

If you're posting here, I bet alcohol is bad for you and you'd be best off quitting it. You're right that you're still young. You're too young to waste your life drinking; do something different.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It doesn't matter what you call it, what matters is what you do about it. If drinking is causing problems, quit drinking. It's not easy, but it is simple - just stop drinking.

I got sober seven years ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cj,

Alcoholic is a medical term to me.

I prefer addict. My doc is booze.

When i couldn't go a a week w out drinking it was physical....a month w out drinking i knew i had a mental addiction.

Each time i quit and started again it was harder to quit again.

Now clean 21 months, i still crave daily around 2 to 6 pm, holidays, event days etc.

I went from a party animal to a gym rat.

I don't miss being a drunk, but i still crave. Not sure why.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CJ - When I was around your age I got a DUI. I wasn't a daily drinker at the time but I started seeing a therapist and convinced myself I was going through a rough time and would grow out of it. I remember I had a big birthday party when I turned 24 to prove that I could drink and handle it. The party went well and I didn't get too drunk, so to me that was proof that I wasn't an alcoholic. I remember thinking back then that I didn't want to be an alcoholic because it meant I could never drink again. My drinking got progressively worse and by the time I hit 28, I was hiding bottles in my closet drinking in secret and taking shots some mornings to start my day. If you're feeling like you might have a problem, it's best to try and stop sooner rather than later. It will only get worse. I wish I could go back to my 24 year old self and quit drinking back then, so much time was wasted after that, and some things I can't even remember. Good luck to you!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi CJ if you are struggling you are struggling yo be sober for more than 10 days you probably do have an issue with alcohol and these problems only get worse if you don't address them. If you are still young I would try and get this monkey off your back as early as possible, I wish I had.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you ever heard of ACA?

It might be worth investigating. I know some people who are very dear to me who have found it very helpful in breaking negative cycles, in particular anger issues.

Adult Children of Alcoholics
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back CJ!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi CJ.. hug you so much.. you want to be different then Mom and Dad.. I know that path.. you can do this... time to look at the Man in the Mirror and follow the path that will be the light to a better future.. promise.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi CJ,

Welcome to SR! I wish I had been smart enough to stop drinking at 24.

Like others have said most of us found this site because we had concerns about our drinking, I promise you life is much better sober!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I knew something wasn't "right" with my drinking at 25, and kept on wasting years and years away on the booze. It's best to get this thing tackled before it becomes a massive problem (if it hasn't already)