Notices

Difficult being around/talking to people

Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficult being around/talking to people

2 weeks sober

Have a plan in place, keeping it simple and tackling one day at a time with my tools.

My question is, was it difficult to talk to people/have a conversation when you first got sober? This is with people you know.

Some days it's easy, and I listen, ask questions, etc. and I feel like I'm making some progress.

Other days, I feel anxious/awkward talking to people and not at all comfortable.

I appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Susie, Yes, I agree that in general talking to people is just plain old different. Sometimes I hear myself talking now and it seems awkward, I have to remember to smile, finish sentences etc. I was never drunk at work but I was hung over, maybe just looking at everything through new lens. I've never been sober before.....
Old 01-15-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 2 weeks

its always been difficult for me to talk to people

hasnt gotten easier
Old 01-15-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually find talking to people easier now because 1) I don't have to try to hide alcohol or hangover breath, 2) my brain functions normally, so I am able to articulate what I am thinking without rambling or trailing off mid-sentence, and 3) I'm not in a foul mood, so I greet people warmly, and they respond in kind.

I mean...I'm still pretty awkward sometimes, but I've been that way with and without alcohol.

ABW1
Old 01-15-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Totally normal in my opinion. And for me it took awhile to be able to be myself again around people.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Suzieq - I have pretty strong social anxiety, so this affects me all the time, whether in a period of sobriety or not. Mostly I just try to have patience and compassion for myself, and try to draw boundaries when needed (eg in AA I dont push myself to do more of the group-speaking than I can handle, and if I'm feeling a lot of anxiety I'll let people know - speaking about it can often make it easier).
Old 01-15-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It comes with time. Don't get discouraged.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes..I have social anxiety...I am withdrawn alot..and when I was drinking I would reach out through txt or fb more liquid courage..but being sober I've keep the to myself..increased my antidepressants...and have had time to reflect and accept I think more responsibility...and voice less..and that's ok ..just how I am. AA meeting was hard not big on speaking in groups..but amazing thing was it felt good..I'm on day 15 ..no expert but this is my story.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always been difficult for me too Suzieq. It's better now but it took a little longer than 2 weeks for me to get to where I m now

It took me 30 days just to stop thinking about drinking every waking moment.

Don't push yourself too hard just yet

D