Notices

Like a ton of bricks..but!

Old 01-15-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like a ton of bricks..but!

It is a miserable damp day here in the north of England on day four. Got soaked walking my dogs (who also got very wet and muddy) and suddenly the last four days caught up with me. I have had a pretty easy ride up until today but I felt pretty awful as I struggled through the rain.

Got home and I realised I needed sustenance but rather than run for some chocolate, which I have done (and consumed in very large quantities) when I have quit before, I made a proper meal of oily fish, potatoes and sweet potatoes and carrots.

Half an hour later and feeling about 200% better!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

That sounds exactly what I am having for dinner! Yummo and very healthy, too! Good on ya!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Food is so important Men. Well done.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As I've posted elsewhere here I have discovered a great deal about sugar from my partner. Refined sugar seems to me to be a barrier to sobriety - potentially anyway.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Equally dismal here I the misty little Isle of the Eels. I didn't do so well as you. I had chocolate topped off with bubblegum flavour Millions, which look just like bright blue cat litter and are probably just as nutritionally sound as it as well.

Will cook some proper food now.

BB
Old 01-15-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
As I've posted elsewhere here I have discovered a great deal about sugar from my partner. Refined sugar seems to me to be a barrier to sobriety - potentially anyway.
I hear a lot of people post about how recovering alcoholics eat sugar to replace the sugar in alcohol. But if they are like me, they drink vodka straight, which has no sugar. I think I eat sugar because it acts on the dopamine receptors in a similar way to alcohol. Sugar high, sugar rush, sugar crash. There's a reason its referred to that way.....its another substance, not a food. So yeah, I think in the long term, for me, its just switching to another addiction. I'm trying to quit it (again) completely. It aint easy.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree that the rush crash cycle isn't good for me when I'm trying to keep a level head and some sense of serenity. I try not to do what I've done this morning generally, and usually try to save sweet treats for the end of the day and after a proper meal to minimise the effects of the sugar. Complex cards tend to be better for start of and mid-day for me personally .
Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. I've thought this about sugar before, that it acts as a substance. Have you ever seen a child have sugar for the first time? It's pretty creepy imho. You watch what's going on in their head, and then the crash. When you consider their brains are getting hard wired for life at that age, it's horrifying to consider that we give children refined sugar at all.

Glad you are taking care of yourself.

B