Notices

Drinking is good

Old 01-15-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lnx View Post
Comments here
our lives start without alcohol and they start to end with it .

Your words, not mine.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Sober is better x
Old 01-15-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Drinking is good, in much the same way that a high interest credit card is good. You can use both to feel good fast, but eventually, the bill comes due, with interest. Sometimes it's compound interest.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you lnx?

D
Old 01-15-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You're exchanging your hard earned cash for the privilege of poisoning yourself. Not good!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Seriously!

I keep battling this crap (pun intended) for years and I never knew about the loose bowels and bladder. That's not pleasant. Found this out in the last week. I keep dwelling on the 1 or so hours of euphoria.

Does anyone talk about this part?!

My goodness. This blows.

SS
Old 01-15-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm surprised by two things, 1) people having actual thoughtful replies to this, 2) it still being open
Old 01-15-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
Sober is better x
Yes, life is pretty great in sobriety.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I'm surprised by two things, 1) people having actual thoughtful replies to this, 2) it still being open
Sounded like a cry for help to me Brenda, but I'm open to PMs if people feel triggered.

Dee
SR
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

As much as I thought that drinking was good, in no way did it enhance the life that I was living. I thought that I needed it to open up to people and be "fun." Quite the opposite actually, it caused me to open up...way too much; and the following day(s) were usually quite miserable. Between the throwing up, headaches, tremors, and anxiety there was no amount of "fun" that could overcome the guilt and depression that came along with my alcoholism.

I drank HEAVY for 15+ years, it took a toll on my finances, my relationships, my family, my health, and my immediate future. 99.9999999% of the poor decisions that I have made in my life were while I was under the influence of alcohol (in conjunction with other drugs in my younger years), there is nothing that I have done in those years that I can look back on fondly.

If I could go back in time and change that part of my life, would I? Hell no I wouldn't, it made me the man I am today. Without those experiences I would not be who I am today. Today, I am PROUD of who I am, I am experienced, knowledgeable, and intelligent. Would I be the same if I had always been sober, nope...somebody once said that great wisdom comes from poor decisions, by that equation, I am one heck of a wise guy!

Is it good for some? Sure, but I am MUCH happier, healthier, and clear headed now than I was before.

Good for you if you can handle it. However, if you are here to troll a recovery website, I hope that you are able to take some of the wisdom imparted in this thread to heart.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

"Sounded like a cry for help to me Brenda"

I agree, and hope Lnx is reading the thoughtful responses.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

And so is the hangman's rope. The knife which sinks into your heart, That takes away everything you have, all you have loved. That grinds your face into the dust. Drink is even 'better" than all these things at doing what it does "best' and doing it with a finality all its own. When howling in pain, feeling the cold hand of death upon your shoulder you will cry for just one last drink. Because it is so "good."

W.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

This thread is helpful in so many ways... it has United people in answering truthfully a bizzare statement intruded into here.... and it's what the AV will be telling people, it's what the golden memory haze will be chipping in to try and get u to drink again, so this is perfect to drop the shades from our/my eyes... it's real.... they statement is dissected and analysed in a detailed, thoughtful, truthful way by a wealth of people. ... and I think the evidence point to one conclusion! !!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Drinking was never good for me...one was never enough and alcohol nearly killed me
Old 01-16-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Just a nerd

If it seems good, it's probably bad for you. Kind of like potato chips (and you can never have just one, amirite? ).

Meanwhile, spinach and water aren't real exciting. Go figure.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeathBox View Post
If it seems good, it's probably bad for you. Kind of like potato chips (and you can never have just one, amirite? ).

Meanwhile, spinach and water aren't real exciting. Go figure.
But I eat potato chips! Should I join a 12 Step Chip Avoidance Group? (Make amends to those whom I have hurt, chip by chip?) Sorry! Just posting this may indicate that I "have a chip on my shoulder". But then again I may be "a chip off the old block."

W.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
When I first read this thread I was like "oh snap, don't feed this troll", but when I read some of the OP's other threads and posts, it really does appear that he/she has been struggling and is not a troll. Even if that weren't the case and the OP never revisits, there are still so many good responses and nuggets of wisdom here (love reply #43 so much!) that benefit the untold number of lurkers out there.

I do hope you revisit, Lnx.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

thank you all...so much

I am still battling alcoholism and now cancer for the second time but my goodness your comments are amazing.

Sending huge hugs and love to all of you.

I will never understand why I cannot sleep though.

SS
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Lnx,
When you first posted "drinking is good" My first response and only comment was "Good for nothing more like it". I am now thinking that response was pointless and not constructive at all. I think we're all here because we have a deep down belief that alcohol is not making our life any better.
I'm not sure what state you were in when you wrote that, and in hindsight, I wish I had thought of that before commenting. If I was to guess, maybe you had a few? – but that's only speculation. I haven't seen you post since then and I just wanted to make sure you haven't abandoned this site because you're embarrassed or feel uncomfortable at all now. Maybe I'm indeed overthinking this....I just know from personal experience how many times I've commented on fb after having a few wobbly pops and then hid under a rock for days!!!! Believe me, it happened A LOT!! . But the thing is....this place is different – we've all been there....there's no judgement! I just hope you know that we’re all thinking of you and hope to hear from you soon!!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

If alcoholic drinking is good.
If I've given up on life.
MM