Notices

Got an interesting phone call last night.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got an interesting phone call last night.

I friend of mine who I've known since high school called me last night. He's a pilot, married with 3 young kids, great guy. He's one of a few guys I actually stay in touch with on a fairly regular basis. So he calls me last night and he found out his liver enzymes are elevated. It apparently gave him a pretty good scare and he quit having his nightly cocktails immediately. I guess he was drinking a little bit more whiskey at night than he let on to. So we had "the talk" about booze and how we have had great times in the past, but at some point putting it down is probably the wise decision. I think like most he just wanted some reassurance and support, which I was more than happy to provide. Anyway, it was interesting.

ps. I guess more than anything, it felt good to help someone out and provide support to.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jeff, how awesome that you were there for him!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great that he reached out and you were there for him. Does he know about your "past" out of curiosity? I was actually thinking,today,about how you never hear anyone say "getting sober was the worst thing I ever did."
Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good on ya,thomas!

im thinkin ya should keep in contact with him as he's prolly gonna need,and hopefully want, some support, and ya know how heavy that phone can be for someone in his situation.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's fantastic, Jeff, that you were able to be there for your friend - what a wonderful gift for both of you.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, it's great that you were there for your friend. I hope he continues to stay in touch with you to get through this. Alcohol is especially dangerous for pilots. We've had a couple of incidents in this country where pilots were found to have alcohol in their system and were arrested.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Great that he reached out and you were there for him. Does he know about your "past" out of curiosity? I was actually thinking,today,about how you never hear anyone say "getting sober was the worst thing I ever did."
Yes, he knows about my drinking past, and we talked about it a bit more last night. He's one of those guys where I can tell him the whole ugly truth and he doesn't pass judgement at all. We've both been through some ugly stuff.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya,thomas!

im thinkin ya should keep in contact with him as he's prolly gonna need,and hopefully want, some support, and ya know how heavy that phone can be for someone in his situation.
I plan on reaching out to him mid-week to see how he's doing.