Notices

Depressed a bit.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depressed a bit.

I suppose I knew the initial happiness of early sobriety would wear off. I quit in December and was on a bit of a high at first. Not unlike the first time I quit is when after the 3 week mark hit is when I started to feel depressed/or anxious. We have a few issues financially too that gets to me. My husband isn't earning very much money and I make money from selling my paintings. Luckily I a pretty successful however not enough to carry the mortgage and all the other bills. So I believe it is a combination of the two factors. Plus my husband who quit drinking a couple of weeks ago drank two nights ago. It would be worse if I were drinking. I have no desire to drink at all, I just remember this time from the last time that I quit and I remember it took almost a year to feel stable. It's also winter here so the days are grey and cold. Sorry i know this sounds like one long complaining rant. I guess I really wish we could just get up and go somewhere warm and sunny. I feel like there is nothing to really look forward to. It's just one of those days.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Im having one of those days too. I cant pick myself up off the couch. I just want to sleep. Zero motivation.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry Whiskey. Thank you for writing in. Yeah I try to listen to motivational speeches on youtube when I feel down but today feels weighty. I hope you have a better day tomorrow and for me too. xoxo
Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Cusper. I hope your spirits lift as well.

Not sure if you have family with you, but my family thinks im crusty. Especially the spouse. I just cant seem to flip the switch to happy at the moment.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think post Xmas blues hits a lot of people, alcoholic or not. Hope the week gets better you guys

D
Old 01-14-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there, guys. Things will get better. Jan. and Feb. can be tough months for those of us in snowyclimes.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"It's also winter here so the days are grey and cold. "

I'm sure you've heard of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), due to lack of sunlight, shorter days, etc. Try and get some sunlight (what there is of it) in your eyes?
Old 01-14-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HAHA Whiskey! My husband is actually the "crustier" one. I tend to be a bit whiney- which really I think is worse. mind you I also have a sinus infection that isn't helping. I tend to catch virus's too when I give up drinking. or at least I did last time I quit. It's like my body is working again to fix things that might have been ignored because it spent so much time working on all the alcohol. I don't know.
Colombus, I actually got a package to a tanning salon. They have these beds just for vitamin d and you go in for 3-5 minutes. You don't tan or anything but it helps your body make vit d. That certainly helps. I should go up there.

One thing that really helps me is to look at houses for sale in the tropics. sounds silly but whenever I get depressed I look at places that are in the carribbean. Needless to say that is what I have been doing for the last hour. It's the possibility that there are beautiful hot places out there that makes me feel better especially this time of year.

Dee- yes, non-alcoholics and alcoholics all seem a bit down at this point. I know, even my sister in law seems blah too. It seems like every year I get older I just want to be somewhere warm.
Thank you all for writing in, I feel a lot better than I did earlier. It really helps to post. I kind felt like a jerk at first for coming on and complaining.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The last time I got sober it was late spring into early summer. I felt fantastic!

This time, getting sober in the winter (while successful) isn't bringing the same great feelings, but I expect that to pick up when the days lengthen.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dont feel too bad, it helped me, got me typing and feeling better. Nah, I still feel blue..... but its good to talk about it.

House shopping in the sunny south sounds great. I need some of that. People in warm climates are happier? I wonder.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whiskey- I don't know for sure if they are happier. I just know that I am so much happier swimming in the sun. I love to look at these beach houses with pools on the ocean. One day I would love to live in a place like that. Or at least rent a place like that for a whole month!! I am sorry you are still blue. It's difficult to turn around when you are in it. xoxo
Old 01-14-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

New England blues around here, we watch the shows on TV where people buy islands or live exotically. Definitely enticing but I always tell him I wouldn't move anywhere I didn't know people, homebody.
Hope everyone has a great night, grateful for your company.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I live in a winter climate. As soon as it is cold your neighborhood feel is gone. No one is outside at the park, or in the back yard. I dont see my neighbourghs. As soon as the sun and warmth comes back, people are outside, walking and talking to each other.

Ive lived in warm climates before. Going to the beach on a Tuesday after work. Catching two hours in the ocean before going home for dinner. Way different. Im going with the happiness quotion is higher in warm climates.

Any which way, it was cold and grey today.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's the same here. I find that I can go a whole season without seeing some people. I have a young son so I am taking him to school and picking him up everyday so luckily I still have some interaction with some people. However, sometimes it can get soo cold that all you want to do is get back inside. I also think vitamin d is huge when it comes to happiness. it really makes a difference. I remember when I was eating all the right things and was sober, it was only until we got to mexico where I felt instantly healthier by being in the sun. i agree, i think people in general must be happier
Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is interesting. I don't know if people in warmer climes are happier. Maybe. My friend lives in South Florida, and she likes it alot! She has an auto immune condition, and she feels that the warm weather is beneficial. Easier on her joints and also offers more opportunities to swim and exercise, which is also important for her health.
But...she has met a few guys (she's single) at different places--not bars--and they have, each and every one, habitually drunk too much. It was a deal breaker for her each time. I have visited her several times. Maybe I, as an alcohol-dependent person in recovery, am super sensitive to it, but I believe there is an entrenched drinking culture there that she is wise to avoid. She doesn't drink. It messes with her physically. Anyway, that's my two cents, fwiw.
No question that cold, snowy winters causes everyone to hunker down.
Conversely, I have invited my friend to come up to New England in July and August when the Florida heat and humidity is bad. It is lovely here in the summer.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

One thing for sure: All moods change. Good ones and bad ones. Just know this will pass. Do what you can do, within bounds, that makes you feel better. I like the idea of looking at tropical pics. Pretty funny!
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Post holiday blues I think, we all have it in my house including my usually so happy it's annoying hubs is a bit down
Old 01-15-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Winslow. Nice to see your updates, but sorry you are feeling down. Bit of the post holiday blues here as well.
I'm trying to stay busy and distracting myself when it hits. I've been paying attention lately (based on something I read somewhere) on kind of charting my moods. Good reminder for next time it hits that it will pass soon...typically but not always by next day.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday and a good week ahead.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Every dark night gives way to a new day.......hahah......feeling better today. Thanks for letting me type out my bad mood. Wishing everyone else a relaxing sunday.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better today, Whiskey. The sun is shining here. It's a beautiful day.