Notices

Busy days

Old 01-14-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Busy days

Hello all!!

I come to you this morning before heading out for a very busy day filled with birthday parties and activities. I really didn't know what to post and then stumbled on what I was feeling in the Weekender thread.

"Weekender Venecia who, as always, is extremely insightful.

She writes:-

What's easy to forget is how much harder our lives were (or are) in active alcoholism and addiction.

How much did we miss because we were too drunk or too high to participate in life? How many days were spent just waiting for it to be over - the headache, the rotten gut, the fog - yet knowing it would all start over again, sooner rather than later? The endless cycle. The continual loss of self respect."

I heard someone the other day that their forgeter was broken. And it's so true! It's so easy to forget the bad times and only remember what we want to. There were definitely times that I missed out on fun things with my kids or family because I didn't feel good. I would plan my drinking around activities so that I wouldn't feel hungover for a birthday party or another activity. I became quite good at not drinking socially, and then trying to cram an entire night's worth of drinking in after returning home. Without realizing it, my entire life was revolving around drinking even if I wasn't actually drinking at the moment.

It's been 60 days since I've woken up hungover or having to plan one second or around drinking and that's amazing.

60 days isn't that long, but it's a good start, and I'm trying really hard to remember not to forget this time!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I became quite good at not drinking socially, and then trying to cram an entire night's worth of drinking in after returning home.
That was me too! One of the great benefits of hanging around SR, reading others posts bring insight or reminders to what it was like. Thank you for your post.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
60 days isn't that long, but it's a good start, and I'm trying really hard to remember not to forget this time!
Sixty days is great news!
Old 01-14-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

very pleased for you PNM - 60 days is great

D
Old 01-14-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sixty days sober is wonderful! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I made it 69 days last time, so I know better than to get too complacent. However, it took me over two weeks of heavy internal debating to come to the decision to drink last time, and this time (so far) the urge or I guess an opportunity/ "excuse" has not arose. Keeping vigilant though.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great, Pinot!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

60 days is fantastic!!