Notices

they don't know how to treat us .

Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

they don't know how to treat us .

Ok , its early days yet after my last drinking session mid Dec .
My emotions still a bit swingy . Heres what I want to get off my chest .
Where I live in UK the County of West Lothian has a service WLDAS ( west Lothian drug and alcohol service ). I was advised by my GP to contact them while in withdrawals ( GP gave me some Librium ) ,anyway I was astounded when the councillor told me over the phone it would be BEST for me to make sure i still have some alcohol in the house taper off gradually . I did not have alcohol in the house and it was my day 1 .
This is the second contact I have had with this service the first being back last May which was in person and was a terrible experience with the councillor more concerned about " you need to inform DVLA of your alcoholism " and that if he thought I was unfit to drive he would contact the police , I was sober 4 days at that point I left his office worried and confused .
This service isn't fit for purpose IMO. Are they recovering alcoholics/users ? do they really understand what it's like or do they do a couple of courses on counselling ? I don't know but I do know this I will never contact them again .
Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry you're having such trouble with the authorities. Do you have a personal physician? Has that doctor a familiarity and skill with regard to alcohol and substance abuse? if not can you find one who has such experience? The reason I ask is that you would benefit from having a professional who can act as liaison between you and the "caregivers", and help getting you treated properly instead of bureaucratically. The driving is still an issue. Your breath and or blood can be tested to see whether you are able to drive legally. Prescription drugs may impair your driving ability as well. Good luck.

W.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The UK has chosen this approach with alcoholics. (Tapering)

I would guess it is because of the dismal success rate in sobering people up, the high cost of rehab, the public moneys being spent, and the drug-seeking relapsers. You can quit on your own with the Librium. Make it stick this time. I quit with a short (three day) taper and no drugs.

I'm sure they would treat you at hospital should things get bad, but really the Librium will take care of the initial detox. All rehab does is keep you away from the bad influences and give you the same coping tools you could get for free at AA meetings. Once you're past the first week, it's mostly psychological.

I created my own success, it's more rewarding anyway. Hang on, spend a lot of time here and stay busy. Eat well, get out every day for a walk. Buy an ice cream cone! You've got this.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post

the councillor told me over the phone it would be BEST for me to make sure i still have some alcohol in the house taper off gradually .

I did not have alcohol in the house and it was my day 1 .
That was especially common in the old days.
Today drugs if something is needed are what's usually used.
Best to let all resentments go (best you can at this time) and move on.
Yes, move on with your sobriety.
There will be some bumps in the road -- strengthen yourself.
M-Bob
Old 01-14-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tapering seems to be an accepted practice in the UK. This is my observation only, Thomas, and that is gathered from the global posts I read here. You know yourself best, what works or doesn't. Be careful and mindful. All will be well in time. Peace.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi thomas,

Quiting booze is tough.

I believe the drugs dr.s can give us, while easing the stress initially, end up dragging out the process of healing.

Same thing w tapering.

It might be easier to keep coming here for the obsessive interactions.....like i do....

Then use your sober energy to get fit physically. The mental takes a long long long time...did i mention mentally it takes a long long time.

Tapering...in my expert opinion..drags out the process...and might lead to relapse...

So...imo...quit messing w the drugs and the tapering....curl up in a ball when it gets too much...

It gets better every moment...

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience when I was rewferred to an equivalent service in England. First thing I realised was that because I am middle aged (or a bit older) and middle class as well as at my first meeting highly motivated, the person I saw announced that in her opinion there was nothing more they could do for me as I was 'well on my way' to quitting for good. I knew I wasn't!

Slightly taken aback I left and then phoned a few days later to make another appointment. The woman (I think a psychiatric nurse) asked me if I had been to AA. At the time I was feeling pretty anti them and said so. She used the words (literally) that if I was desperate to quit I would 'eat ****'. Anyway she offered me an appointment (not with her). I did complain when I went in to the woman I saw. I could tell she knew who exactly I had spoken to on the phone! Anyway that was the last time I had anything to do with them.

As someone above has said, the dismal failure rate such agencies have has led them to look at targets for 'harm reduction', management and so on. In a way one can't blame them I suppose, but there has to be a better way!
Old 01-14-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

These governments and government workers are often not up to snuff, sadly. biminiblue is so right about creating your own success.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah. I'm in the UK as well, and it's the same in my area. AA has helped me far more than any of the other services or GP advice, which all tends to be about moderating and tapering (like most of us haven't tried that approach ourselves!!)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The UK has chosen this approach with alcoholics. (Tapering)

I would guess it is because of the dismal success rate in sobering people up, the high cost of rehab, the public moneys being spent, and the drug-seeking relapsers. You can quit on your own with the Librium. Make it stick this time. I quit with a short (three day) taper and no drugs.
Pretty much this. I was reading a medical document that instructs docs in the UK to give the taper method for alcoholics, mainly because they find it to be the safest, plus if they have the strength to do a taper, they are more likely to succeed in sobriety. Not to mention most likely the top reason is because it saves the taxpayers $$
Old 01-14-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Wow I had similar experience when I tried to get "official" help (refered by my GP), the person who I met with said a similar thing about contacting the DVLA and also if I didn't stop drinking they would contact the social services who would take away my child. O.o I was a couple weeks sober at the time too and left worried - how does that help someone who is vulnerable, scared or worried? Surely they'd just do a 180 and get out of there and maybe never seek help again. They never did call me with a follow up appointment either. Was very disappointed and vowed to go to a private therapist who specializes in addictions, if anything in the future.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad all you guys found and use SR

D
Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes biminiblue I agree 100 percent we need to take responsibility . No resentments on my part , as said above all I want to do is move on with my sobriety .

Thanks all
Old 01-15-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Yes biminiblue I agree 100 percent we need to take responsibility . No resentments on my part , as said above all I want to do is move on with my sobriety .

Thanks all
So how's it going? Have you made it past the detox?