Notices

Feeling good, but guarded

Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling good, but guarded

Day 12...longest stretch in a very long time. I actually feel good, like REALLY good. Every other time i have tried to abstain i would be itching for a drink and my av would be in overdrive. I feel like something clicked this time. It is helping to focus daily on the clarity i now have. Today would have, 100%, been a day i would have drank, but i didnt even have an urge. I am curious as to whether or not the new meds my dr put me on are contributing or if I really am this strong. In any case, i am proud and guarded because i realize one false sense of security could set me right back. Thanks for listening...
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're comfortable, BUT!!!

Prepare for that time when you may have a strong desire to drink. It will likely happen. Just have a plan what you are going to tell yourself and how you are going to get to the other side of that urge.

"I don't drink. No matter what." Then get busy doing something else - distract distract. Call a friend, clean out a drawer. Do some laundry. Drink some hot tea. Take a walk. Whatever it takes.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm glad you're comfortable, BUT!!!

Prepare for that time when you may have a strong desire to drink. It will likely happen. Just have a plan what you are going to tell yourself and how you are going to get to the other side of that urge.

"I don't drink. No matter what." Then get busy doing something else - distract distract. Call a friend, clean out a drawer. Do some laundry. Drink some hot tea. Take a walk. Whatever it takes.
Thank you! Quality advice!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I found I needed to prepare for a thoughtless moment, just one second when my defences were down. I never drank because of a strong urge, I drank because momentarily it did not occur to me not to drink.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What meds were you put on?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
What meds were you put on?
Have been on zoloft, added wellbutrin....quit smoking too. It tastes horrible and you get no satisfaction from it at all.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do you have a solid plan of recovery? Do you know what you'd do if you had the urge to drink? Make a plan and then work it to the best of your ability.

My plan, in the beginning, was seeing an addiction counselor once a week, and daily visits to SR. I no longer see the counselor, but I come here every day to read and post.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmmm It could be the meds. But I think it's common for a time to come when the hard work pays off and the obsession to drink finally ends.

This happened to me twice, without meds. But I fell the first time because I forgot I was alcoholic after a while. I felt normal again, and then started thinking I could be a normal drinker again.
You're wise to stay guarded. I think it's also wise to continue reminding ourselves for the rest of our lives that we can't drink and to never toy with the idea again.

You're doing great
Old 01-12-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Do you have a solid plan of recovery? Do you know what you'd do if you had the urge to drink? Make a plan and then work it to the best of your ability.

My plan, in the beginning, was seeing an addiction counselor once a week, and daily visits to SR. I no longer see the counselor, but I come here every day to read and post.
I am attending AA, and have lined up numerous projects around the house i can work on to keep myself busy. My husband also knows if i say i need to go to bed at 8, i am feeling a desire to drink and just need to call it a day without questions...
Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
Every other time i have tried to abstain i would be itching for a drink and my av would be in overdrive... Today would have, 100%, been a day i would have drank, but i didnt even have an urge.
What I am reading here is that if you did have an urge to drink, that you would go ahead and drink, full stop, 100%. You have a plan to go ahead and drink as soon as the urge strikes.

Is that indeed the case?

If so, why exactly is that a good thing?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by red3215 View Post
Hmmmm It could be the meds. But I think it's common for a time to come when the hard work pays off and the obsession to drink finally ends.

This happened to me twice, without meds. But I fell the first time because I forgot I was alcoholic after a while. I felt normal again, and then started thinking I could be a normal drinker again.
You're wise to stay guarded. I think it's also wise to continue reminding ourselves for the rest of our lives that we can't drink and to never toy with the idea again.

You're doing great
Thank you!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey, great job! I am on day 12, also, and my experience has been very similar to yours. Feels great! Let's hope it continues to improve.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
What I am reading here is that if you did have an urge to drink, that you would go ahead and drink, full stop, 100%. You have a plan to go ahead and drink as soon as the urge strikes.

Is that indeed the case?

If so, why exactly is that a good thing?
I am simply saying that the drinking me wouldve drank on a day like today. The one that is trying to live and live a sober and healthy life won out. That, to me is a huge step and a good thing. And no i am not saying if i had an urge i would drink, i would fight like hell and stick to my plan. I was more or less commenting that the av was weak and i know i am grateful regardless of how that happened.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chifan7 View Post
Hey, great job! I am on day 12, also, and my experience has been very similar to yours. Feels great! Let's hope it continues to improve.
Nice job! Keep up the good work!
Old 01-13-2017, 02:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
I am simply saying that the drinking me wouldve drank on a day like today. The one that is trying to live and live a sober and healthy life won out. That, to me is a huge step and a good thing. And no i am not saying if i had an urge i would drink, i would fight like hell and stick to my plan. I was more or less commenting that the av was weak and i know i am grateful regardless of how that happened.
Little confused by this sentence as it seems contradictory, but assuming you are saying that you WOULD fight like hell and stick to your plan- what is your plan?

Sounds like an enjoyable period of "pink cloud" which is great- where is the foundation to keep the positiveness and momentum you've got right now?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Little confused by this sentence as it seems contradictory, but assuming you are saying that you WOULD fight like hell and stick to your plan- what is your plan?

Sounds like an enjoyable period of "pink cloud" which is great- where is the foundation to keep the positiveness and momentum you've got right now?
I can appreciate what i think you are trying to do by correcting my language, however it is a little condescending. I am continuing on my "pink cloud" and am proud of my yesterday. Plan is in place and seems to be working. I am cautiously optimistic. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wasn't correcting your language and certainly not being condescending so Inapologize if it came off that way to you. I'm a big proponent of the pink cloud and that we indeed can maintain that as our version of a best life. All I was asking is what you are doing to continue it- and that question comes from someone who works daily to keep mynpink cloud.