Notices

It really does get better weekender 13-15 jan

Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by david46 View Post
So what's some things I can do on the weekend's to stay sober
David, it looks like you've already received some helpful suggestions here. To them, I'll just add this one thing: Try something new. This is a good time to develop new associations, positive ones, to accompany your sobriety. That was something that resonated with me early in sobriety and I carried it further. It's just a good way to live.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post

"Miss Peregrine's" (Eva Green!) is checked out for my movie this weekend.
I'd never heard of Eva Green until I went home to visit my brother and his family and we watched "Miss Peregrine," which was quite delightful! I liked the book, too. Guess it's one of those "she's suddenly everywhere" moments because Eva also is the star of "Penny Dreadful," which I just finished watching and loved. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd recommend it.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

"Penny Dreadful" is where I know Eva Green from. Those eyes! I thought PD was fantastic although there were some things I didn't like about it, and as you say, it's not for everyone. I certainly couldn't recommend it to my parents! But the cast, the music, and the writing are exceptional.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I know that there are people on here who are probably having worse problems than I am, but I am struggling a bit tonight.
I will say a few more things about "the will" and then no more.
First my parents met my mom’s sisters on Friday. She had not seen 3 of them properly for over a year and a half, except for a brief greeting at a family wedding last summer.
I have been having nightmares for the past few nights. Similar nightmares to the ones I had after the big scene when my aunt threw us out of the house while she was shouting "see you in court". I can't pretend that it's not all connected. Anyway my parents are not angry exactly. More annoyed that this aunt was left a share of a house in the city (it was left to three of them) plus some land worth roughly about I'd say €200,000 plus she "took" €100,000 from the account which she claims was a gift and that she is not paying it back. The money in the bank was supposed to be divided between three others - my mom included. So I do understand my mother's frustration. My father wrote a letter about the backstabbing and so on and so forth. So I do see where they are coming from.
The solicitor is also no use whatsoever. My mother wants to report her to some kind of law council. Like if you had a problem with a doctor you could report them to the medical council. My mother did not sign whatever forms because she read it and said it was incorrect. My mother is one of 3 executors. The others did sign it but they confessed that they hadn't a clue what they signed. My dad said "they were like lambs to the slaughter". My parents are the only ones who are trying to make sure everything is above board but the solicitor told the others that if my mom is not cooperating "we will have to get rid of her". Who does she think she is?

Anyway that's all I'll say about that, and thanks for letting me vent a little.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Also I'm dreading work tomorrow. The atmosphere there is awful too. The 5 consultants had a big meeting last Wednesday. Apparently my doctor went nuts and was shouting at every one. I was told he lost the plot altogether. The other doctor told us it was the worst meeting he was ever at.

I know my doctor is close to retirement. He built that place up as he was there from the very beginning. He likes things a certain way. I did ask someone if he was this moody with my predecessor. They told me "yeah he was. He has his ups and downs." One of them went so far as to say "I don't know how you put up with him Tetra. You deserve a medal".

At least he's away tomorrow at a different hospital so I won't see him until Tuesday afternoon.

I asked my dad if all workplaces have this tension. He said "yeah pretty much. It was the same in my place with the petty fighting. Welcome to the real world honey!"
Old 01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Actually I think I'll just follow my father's advice. He said "work hard and keep the head down and don't get involved in anything else". Everyone was giving out about my doctor and I was most uncomfortable but I just smiled and said "oh yeah I see" and took another gulp of coffee.

Hmmm time for camomile tea I think. I find it quite soothing at night but I don't drink herbal tea at any other time
Old 01-15-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Ugh on both counts, Tetra.

Over here the probate people are eagle-eyed to observe every jot and tittle of the original copy of the will. If all potential beneficiaries (not to mention executors!) are not notified, everything grinds to a halt.

And all parties have to agree, or there is a protracted legal battle; it is unheard of to "just get rid" of an executor!

I hope there are sanctions available for this solicitor--and I hope your parents can "just get rid" of him!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Aww hugs to you Tetra.
Night all xx
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done BBB! By the way you're not wrong, the weekend has gone quickly

Ina, your friends who were drinking, that's probably ALL they did this weekend and are wishing they had done something more worthwhile. You did the more interesting and grown up thing by staying sober. Drinking is not fun for us

Tetra people show their ugly side when inheritances are concerned. The "we will have to get rid of her" comment is not credible, just hyperbole on the part of the solicitor justifying his or her fee

Well Sherlock is over so I guess it is time to feed the horses, raise the drawbridge and snuff out the candles at Saoutchik Towers. It is a public holiday for many of you tomorrow with all the distractions and temptations that brings so make sure you enjoy your day off rather than waste it drinking or drugging

The Weekender thread will be here too, it never closes
Old 01-15-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Had a really wonderful day 6, went to a meeting and am starting to find familiar faces. Did some errands and made a great dinner for the me and the kids. Did some meal prep for the week and household chores and since tomorrow is a holiday I can stop now and go and relax. I honestly thought it would take far longer than this to even start to see the benefits of not drinking.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Still sober on Sunday night! Watching movies with my wife and drinking some green tea. Day 16 tomorrow!

Hope all you other weekenders are doing well.

ABW1
Old 01-15-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi all, working late on a Monday night.
I will take it easy tomorrow thats for sure!!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, work beckons but at least it is a hangover free Monday morning
Old 01-16-2017, 12:24 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Morning all. Well what was a few sneezes on Saturday,more sneezes Sunday has gotten worse again today. I feel pretty poop and sorry for myself. Hope you all have a fab Monday. Xx
Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Sorry you're sick, Petals.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all.

I almost drove myself crazy yesterday choosing tiles for thé bathroom in my new apartment. My new moving date is march so I have to hurry up.

Taking it easy at work, just feel emotionally exhausted.

Anyway, it was overall productive weekend.

Get well soon, petals!

Have a great sober week, everyone.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Have a good week everyone!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you are sick, Petals.

Made it through my first weekend Thanks everyone, hope you all have a good start to the week.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post
"Penny Dreadful" is where I know Eva Green from. Those eyes! I thought PD was fantastic although there were some things I didn't like about it, and as you say, it's not for everyone. I certainly couldn't recommend it to my parents! But the cast, the music, and the writing are exceptional.
I've liked her a lot ever since her first movie The Dreamers. Its an interesting film though its got some themes which could be disturbing to some people.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders StartingOverNW

I hope you will feel better soon petals

Someone at work is doing the dry January thing, ie no alcohol this month. The subject of alcoholism came up and he blithely pronounced that all alcoholics could quit if they wanted to, he said this in way that made it sound like it would be really easy. There is still a lot of ignorance out there

Hometime for me