Notices

Determined to Try

Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there, Blue,
How did you decide to approach your detox?
No matter how you move through, it is action & commitment that throw us across the line into our future!
Lots of folks here rooting for you!
Let us follow your experience...stay checked in!
Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Heartcore. I have decided to consult my doctor for help before I just suddenly go cold turkey against both addictions. I researched some other websites about handling withdrawal with dual-addictions and a lot of people have warned me about hidden dangers in taking a sudden-stop approach to both alcohol and opioid addiction. As I stated, I had bad withdrawal symptoms the last time I just up and quit so, especially being semi-elderly, I certainly don't want to take any reckless risks. I have a doctor who handles my pain management and wellness that is very approachable and mindful of individual needs so I think I might ask him for advice. I see him again in a couple of weeks so that might be a good time to bring up the subject and see what he recommends as a good way to go after my addictions.

That said, I did not abstain from drinking or taking my Vikes while my relatives were in town this past weekend. However, I did scale back my consumption quite a bit (only 3 beers and 2 Vikes yesterday) while my brother-in-law basically got blitzed during the Packers/Cowboys tilt (what a great game!). I am not giving up at all on my goal. I want to and definitely need to quit. However, I want to go about it in a manner that will maximize my chances of success and minimize any unpleasant withdrawal struggles that are bound to be a part of the equation. Again, it may sound like a cop-out and a delay tactic but I want to succeed, not just go through hell, cave in when I start Jonesing and then say "well, at least I tried". I want to be one of those of us who can boast that I am x-days sober and counting on my road to recovery. Thanks again to all for the advice and reinforcement. It really means a lot to me!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think you're on the right track, especially with trying to minimize intake until you can consult your doctor.
Wondering if you could call him & try to get an earlier appointment than 2 weeks though. A lot can happen in 2 weeks - you could lose steam on your intention, or - far worse - could encounter some of the "bad life & health consequences" that accompany addiction. It is definitely an "urgent" medical issue!
I know that many doctors will - if they don't have immediate openings - give you a cancellation slot if you call in daily.
I'd definitely try to see him as soon as possible.
Also, know that if you decided to check into an in-patient detox they might not need his recommendation at all; they typically will do their own admission interview process...
Old 01-17-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good idea. I called today....no cancellations but they said they would call me if one comes up. Good possibility.

I'm just tired of lying to him and pretending this problem doesn't exist. I don't like AA's contention that we are all "powerless" to control the addiction. If that were the case, we'd all just roll over and let it take us. However, I do believe that the odds are stacked against me and that, although not powerless, I am not equipped to do this on my own. I need help. Luckily for me, my wife works for the government (their health care program is WAY better than what our illustrious leaders have in mind for the rest of you so remember that when you hear each side arguing about what the best way to go is with health care. It doesn't affect them at all since they are already universally covered!) so they have a very good addiction recovery program. I think that's the route best suited for me, especially since I have multiple addictions. If I can get clean and sober and come out of the facility that way, that's more than half the battle for me. I certainly don't want to take unnecessary health risks by going cold turkey with both the alcohol and the opioids so a consultation with my doctor would seem to make the most sense.

Don't worry about my enthusiasm for this fading in any way. Every day that goes by I am reminded of the inevitability of either recovery or death. I can go either way. The choice is mine. Thanks for the encouragement. I've never felt more determined so the time is now.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BlueAero!!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you get into see the Dr soon BlueAero

D
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

An update for all....I check into a detox facility tomorrow. Highly rated, I am excited but also scared ********. However, my resolve has never been stronger, my support from my family and friends is overwhelming.

I plan to use the AVRT method to stay on track once I am clean. It makes so much more sense (to me, at least) than the 12-step method. JMO of course.

The next time I post here I will be clean and sober!! Thanks to all for the support and advice!!! Until then....
Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good for you. I hope its everything you hope it to be and more. Might just save your life.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
quat

Good Luck! and not with success, that you absolutely Can achieve, good luck with the facility hope all goes well.
We expect a full report
wish you well and hope to see you around , soon
Old 02-09-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We'll be thinking of you, BlueAero. A much better life awaits. Look forward to seeing an update.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yaay, you!!!

So excited for you. You're doing it!!

Glowing, hopeful wishes & blessings sent from New Orleans!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best Wishes

D
Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome BlueAero
Old 02-09-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I did inpatient detox. Best thing I could have done. Good luck and best wishes!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ok everybody. Might not sound like much but, for someone who has been drinking DAILY for the past 20 years or so (and fairly frequently before that for another 20), I am SIX DAYS clean and sober and, although I am still going through withdrawal (insurance companies!). SO glad I did the supervised detox and I can tell you all for certain that I will NEVER drink alcohol again. It has ruined my health I have discovered!! I'll go into greater detail in another thread but color me SOBER from now on. Thanks to all for the support, especially Heartcore. I couldn't have done this without you!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Blue - 6 days sober is a very big deal. I drank 30 yrs. & I understand what a miracle it is to get free. You'll have a whole new life - very proud of you.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

9 days sober today and the acute withdrawal is finally starting to fade away! I feel MUCH better today although I still have brain fog, am irritable and I am having some really bad sleep issues (only sleeping about 3 hours a night). Also, my appetite isn't good at all....I get hunger pangs but nothing sounds good. Likewise, I have noticed that I am really sensitive to certain odors like I never have been before....anybody else experience this? How long should I expect the PAWS stage to last? Some sources online say weeks or even months before it gets better.

AVRT method working to perfection....keeping my beast locked in his cage and I will NEVER drink alcohol again. I feel so much better....40 years of drinking and I have been able to stop at long last. Hallelujah!! I am NOT powerless after all!!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

9 days is great
I hope the sleeping and the eating will settle down soon - maybe even some soup on hand might give you some nourishment??

D