Notices

Nyquil Nights

Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nyquil Nights

Hi all and happy New Year!

A funny incident happened the other night when I was restless and couldn't sleep and wanted to share- I went to our medicine drawer and pulled out the big shiney green bottle of Nyquil and was about to click off the top to take a swig. I used to do this often when I couldn't sleep on hangover nights and I'm so early on in my sobriety that I went straight to that solution for my discomfort.

I put it back without drinking any and accepted that I would have a hard time falling asleep. It feels little and silly but I'm proud that I accepted my mental and physical angst without any substance help.

Erica
Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided not to do that

D
Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you didn't go back to old habits.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I dated a guy that was actually pretty seriously addicted to Nyquil. It's not as harmless as a lot of ppl believe. I'm glad you didn't drink it and you're changing your go-to behaviors. That's how it's done
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

great point

ive known a few people over the years that have relapsed like that

also na, near, non alcohol beer ...

known more than a few who have relapsed that way too

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job! Sleeping will get easier. And a lot deeper and rejuvenating.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

During past (failed) attempts to stop drinking I thought Nyquill would not only help but would be OK.

Not.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nyquil contains acetaminophen, and that stuff is bad mojo. Of all the dumb, nerdy drugs to get addicted to, I was addicted to it. It took a solid week lying on a couch to get off it. Terrible, terrible drug, and I was worried that between acetaminophen and alcohol, my liver was getting shredded. Fortunately, tests show I came through relatively unscathed, but who knows what long term damage I did.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I loved NyQuil when I was sick. It really worked for me. I stopped taking it in sobriety because it's 10% alcohol. I'm glad you didn't pick it up. There are other methods to help with sleep.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is hard to sit and just get through those times and sleeplessness is so annoying. I'm glad you got through it.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to love taking Nyquil to sleep! I never did it often, but man does it knock you out.

No longer though, it's too easy to slip into bad habits and have them spiral out of control. Glad you recognized what you were doing and stopped! Sleepless nights are no fun but the longer I'm sober the more rested I feel and the better I sleep.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I still take Nyquil when I'm really sick. I still take communion wine when I go to mass. I've never had even the remotest urge or craving after either, BUT it is not something I do often nor are either of them my specific DOC as alcohol is concerned, and I also won't do either of them unless I know my program is all day strong. If I have any of the classic HALT signs, I just stay away.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
I still take Nyquil when I'm really sick. I still take communion wine when I go to mass. I've never had even the remotest urge or craving after either, BUT it is not something I do often nor are either of them my specific DOC as alcohol is concerned, and I also won't do either of them unless I know my program is all day strong. If I have any of the classic HALT signs, I just stay away.
Oh I still take it when I'm sick - in that manner it's not really a trigger for me. It's more of the wanting to use something chemical to help me sleep, relax, etc. that throws me back into old habits. If there's an actual reason for it like being sick or communion wine the whole setting is so different it doesn't even relate in my mind! (I don't take communion, but I can see what you're saying)
Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
Oh I still take it when I'm sick - in that manner it's not really a trigger for me. It's more of the wanting to use something chemical to help me sleep, relax, etc. that throws me back into old habits. If there's an actual reason for it like being sick or communion wine the whole setting is so different it doesn't even relate in my mind! (I don't take communion, but I can see what you're saying)
Exactly!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On an earlier attempt to stop drinking I thought I would take Benadryl during the day for its calming effect, though coupled with coffee to keep me awake. Very weird results.

I googled "Benadryl abuse" and found a forum dedicated exactly to that.

Much to my surprise there were literally hundreds of people claiming they had lost total control, were taking up to 50-60-100 tabs a day and that this drug had ruined their lives. They were stealing it, going to different stores like people go to different liquor stores, etc.

Blew me away.

Also, when they talked to their Drs or drug councilors about it all they got were blank stares.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by columbus View Post
On an earlier attempt to stop drinking I thought I would take Benadryl during the day for its calming effect, though coupled with coffee to keep me awake. Very weird results.

I googled "Benadryl abuse" and found a forum dedicated exactly to that.

Much to my surprise there were literally hundreds of people claiming they had lost total control, were taking up to 50-60-100 tabs a day and that this drug had ruined their lives. They were stealing it, going to different stores like people go to different liquor stores, etc.

Blew me away.

Also, when they talked to their Drs or drug councilors about it all they got were blank stares.

I remember the first class I was in on this site there were a few people saying they were taking benadryl to sleep for the first week or so and some older members jumped in and warned everyone about how addicting it can be! Benadryl! Who knew?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very nice job not drinking it!

If it were me I'd flush it. Both the alcohol and DXM in it can get you high.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I take Nyquil prolly once every year or two. Knocks me out like a hammer. Not sure I equate it personally with my alcohol abuse, but it's something I will now reconsider.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The danger of Nyquil is that one's AV tells you it's okay, it's not whiskey, now, is it? It's medicine. It's good for you. Just what the doctor ordered. Here, come take your medicine so you can relax, sleep, and feel better in the morning. That's a good boy...

Last go-round I found myself drinking a third to a half a bottle a day
and feeling near-psychotically worse than when drinking booze.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would take it if I was really sick. Fortunately, I haven't been (knock on wood...) It seems like practically anything can be "addictive" if you take too much of it.