Notices

Longest stretch. Obsesssion?

Old 01-11-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with Matt, Dee and others. Its a process, and you are early on in the process. You're doing the the right things...which is not drinking. Some find it helpful to not try and figure it out, just do it. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, day after day and one day you'll realize you haven't thought about alcohol all day long. It does happen, promise.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

It has been mentioned but this is a major thing that AA will help you with. I am still amazed that after doing a 4th and 5th step the obsession to drink was truly lifted from me. I know it sounds odd and I can't explain why but it happened.

I was so incredibly desperate that I finally listened to my sponsor, after a year of being miserable, and I followed his direction and did the steps and the miracle happened for me and many others I know. I hope you have the desperation to find this miracle for yourself when you are ready.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It consumes my thoughts too. It does feel like an obsession. I wish I were this obsessed over exercise or cleaning! :-)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi, I obsessed about drinking when I first stopped, it was everywhere and I noticed it!

However, it does pass. I know, it seems unbelievable but it passes! You can't hold a fist forever!

With the right tools, which are best for you, alcohol becomes something you did and never want to have again.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

At the start it is hard, I am still struggling but it does get better. The main thing is the individual cravings don't last that long just get through them one at a time. I am also going sober for 4 weeks for the first time in 10 years, you can do this too.

Just keep going!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fatboyanon View Post
I am not in AA but am using some of the tools from AA. One of the big tools is getting honest. I am getting completely honest with myself and am working on making my wife( a normal drinker) understand how I am suffering. I am also taking steps from SMART recovery.
Is there a reason you aren't actually in AA, going to meetings, getting a sponsor?

I'm a big believer that "doing it on our own" and just reading the BB isn't enough....many people have reservations about actually getting into the program and lots find it is the best decision ever made when they finally do.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Like my grand sponsor likes to say, ''AA is not a self help program.''