Notices

If the only thing you achieve this year...

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If the only thing you achieve this year...

My husband said something lovely yesterday that I'd kind of brushed off, but I've been mulling it over while I cook dinner. I've been cranky all day (soothed somewhat by an hour long walk with the dog!) and remembering what he said has cheered me up no end.

"If the only thing you do this year is this (admitting that you have an issue with drinking, and quit alcohol) - then, that's amazing. That's enough."

He is spot on, isn't he?

I thought I'd pass it on, in case it helps anyone struggling through these past few days
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a great husband. I completely agree with him, and just watch how many other things fall into place because you have stopped drinking.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is really lovely, thank you for sharing that. And Delilah is right, if you can accomplish that one thing you will be amazed at the many other things that you can accomplish by way of this one, initial act.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I got past the stage where everyone doubted I would recover, people started to congratulate me and express admiration for my will power and strength in beating alcohol. It was embarrassing. They didn't understand it wasn't my achievement. If I could have done it on my own I would have done it a lot sooner. It took divine intervention, not my specialty.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Sounds like you have a great husband. I completely agree with him, and just watch how many other things fall into place because you have stopped drinking.
That's what amazed me. Once I stopped drinking, virtually every other aspect of my life has fallen into place... relationship, work, health, goals, friendships, personal satisfaction, confidence, appearance, finances, sociability, ...almost every aspect of my life has not only improved, but improved beyond my expectations.

Drinking is a disaster, even to so called 'normal drinkers.' That's my takeaway from getting sober.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I came to SR this morning because I'm going back to work today (we've been snowed in for two days) and I want to make sure I don't fall back into my habitual stop at the ABC store on the way home. Your post was just what I needed to start the day right!
Old 01-11-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
fgo

Thank you, it is really that simole
Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
That's what amazed me. Once I stopped drinking, virtually every other aspect of my life has fallen into place... relationship, work, health, goals, friendships, personal satisfaction, confidence, appearance, finances, sociability, ...almost every aspect of my life has not only improved, but improved beyond my expectations.

Drinking is a disaster, even to so called 'normal drinkers.' That's my takeaway from getting sober.

I'm so grateful to you for this. Out of my previous attempts, I always found the aa meetings that I went to, though helpful, often focused on the misery and past sins we'd all made. People said that things will get better... but not often did I hear exactly how or what happened specifically that got better. It isn't rocket science, of course, but I appreciate you articulating that list for me today
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that!! I know so many of my problems i.e. career wise, relationship, weight wise, etc stem from drinking and your post reminds me to first and foremost work on sobriety. It's really tempting when everything is going well at first to try to fix all your problems at once and can seem daunting....that post was just what I needed to read And what everyone else has been saying, once you get sober a lot of these other aspects improve as a result!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sobriety works. It's been the greatest gift I've ever given myself.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post

Agreed! That year I had sober I accomplished more than I did probably in the last 10 years before that. Without even trying that much harder. I know drinking is a disaster, but I sure didn't expect things to improve that much! I think without alcohol bringing me down (both physically and literally, as a depressant) and my change in attitude everything just fell into place. It's crazy!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
When I got past the stage where everyone doubted I would recover, people started to congratulate me and express admiration for my will power and strength in beating alcohol. It was embarrassing. They didn't understand it wasn't my achievement. If I could have done it on my own I would have done it a lot sooner. It took divine intervention, not my specialty.
Absolute truth for me.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well said, Outonthetiles! And thanks for posting Brickbybrick83! I enjoy optimistic posts
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is a life or death struggle so your husband is spot on BrickbyBrick. It was also a nice thing to say
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Its a great thing to say from your husband and absolutely true. Admitting it is one of the hardest things to do and is the first step.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well said! In the beginning it's enough to just put one foot in front of the other without falling down. Things will fall into place more as you go along, provided you keep your focus on that first part.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrickbyBrick83 View Post
"If the only thing you do this year is this (admitting that you have an issue with drinking, and quit alcohol) - then, that's amazing. That's enough."

He is spot on, isn't he?
He is, and it's a very nice, supportive thing to say, but he's also telling you something else as well, based on what you wrote elsewhere.

He said that he has been worried about it for a while, but didn't know what to do.
Your husband probably considers it a big enough problem to be priority #1 to get it out of your life. Strike while the iron is hot, as they say.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Algorithm, but I have actually stopped drinking - I'm on day 13, and feeling great. He is very supportive, and has even stopped drinking with me (even though he doesn't have any issues with it at all - he can take it or leave it). I'm very lucky
Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Many times thoughts just like those have saved me from gloomy days.
For every day that I don't drink is a good day.
M-Bob
Old 01-12-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Brickbybrick,
Your husband is a wise and thoughtful man. Thank him for me. He helped me too!