Notices

Tired of Counting to day 5

Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of Counting to day 5

Most of the time though I only get to day 4. I need a new plan. I am still struggling I want to quit for good. I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired. Alcohol has such a strong grip, on me I feel like I am choking. Please help me. I find it doable to stay sober for atleast a day. And a couple more after that, but each day gets harder and harder. I guess I forget how bad it is. I feel great, so ruin it with drinking right? smh.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Cleopatra4 View Post
I need a new plan. I am still struggling
Welcome back cleopatra. What was our plan before? Are you just trying to "not drink" on your own? There are may different ways to go about it- have a look here at this link, it has a lot of different ideas on the subject.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess so yes I planned on posting here more. Anytime I wanted to drink I knew I should post instead but deep down I knew I wouldn't like what I would hear. I will check out that link and post my new plan soon. The white knuckle approach is not working.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi cleo

i didnt research your post history to see if you had tried aa

my testimony (my experience) is that once i was regularly going to meeings the desire to drink was removed

God bless

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Just not drinking never worked for me, either. I had to be doing something active to change the whole pattern.

Sooner or later my addiction would come calling, doing anything and everything in its power to convince me that it was okay to drink. The cravings would be relentless until I gave in for relief. Anything could set it off, from being irritated to overly tired or hungry or having a bad day, etc... Even feeling really happy or joyful could do it, because then I'd need it to 'celebrate'.

What I needed was a program of recovery that would help alter that thinking so that I wouldn't feel the need to drink to feel better. If I were to stop drinking and then feel unhappy with that for the rest of my life, what would be the point? I had to find something that would help me to stop and then to be content with being sober.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

double post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What really made this last time of getting sober stick for me was embracing the idea that "I am now a non-drinker and it's a lot more fun than drinking". It's helped a lot. Along with embracing that notion I had to also embrace that I am a alcoholic and drinking never never has or will lead to anything good- often destorying anything good.

Which one would you pick? It was a lot easier choice for me at that point.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Cleopatra4 View Post
... each day gets harder and harder.
Yes it does. Recovery is tough in those early days. But everyone here with more than five days got there by enduring the difficulty and adhering to a plan that was going to ensure success.

You can too.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered joining the January support thread Cleo?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...thread-17.html

It's for everyone quitting this month - it's a start?

D
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered joining the January support thread Cleo?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...thread-17.html

It's for everyone quitting this month - it's a start?

D
Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cleopatra, you can do this! Day 5 is a hurdle for you so you can be prepared. Make a plan, as others have suggested, and as Day 5 approaches make sure you are not going to be around alcohol or stopping to buy any. You will find when you get past that hurdle, it will become easier. Getting past those difficult hurdles is what helps us to do this.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

YES this is very helpful. I reallyy REALLY need to look at not drinking as a reward, not a punishment. Which I often do. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was the same for a long long time day 1 I was full of good intentions and will power that I was done for good then Day 3 would role by and I was smashed again. That hamster will was exhausting and soul destroying.

My experience was that eventually I got to a place of complete surrender the pain of drinking again outweighed any benefit I also put the same effort into my recovery as I did my drinking and guess what I have stayed sober. We have to work at recovery just like we had to work on getting drunk!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's important to have tools to help you at least endure the first couple weeks, whether meetings, literature, tapes, whatever. It does then get easier and the cravings lessen the more time you have sober. I had very little cravings at a restaurant/bar last night with my husband at 76 days. Those cravings are now gone. The key now for me to keep my sobriety is to not drink when I experience intense negative emotions. This is why I have been increasing my toolbox with techniques to help me during these times.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can do this.

What has helped me is saying -- Never again. I can never drink again and finally accepting it. Not one, I can't just have one. Absolutely none.

We are here for you!!
Old 01-10-2017, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I usually make five days then bam, the weekend came and off I went out drinking. Then hating myself. This time, I really prepped myself, wrote lists of what I hate about drinking, geared up for Jan 1. I look at it as a challenge to myself. I also embrace the fact that I'm not drinking anymore, and focus on how great it feels. I have a sign on my fridge reminding me how different and clear and focused I feel these last 10 days. I see it several times a day and it centers me. Once I got past the first weekend, I knew I could keep going. One day at a time! Best of luck!!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 4 here and feeling so good. Part of my plan is every night before info to bed I say a prayer and every morning before I get up to reflect on one: how awesome I'm feeling and to be so thankful for that and two: imagine my day sober, realize what triggers might show up and how I will deal with them.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on day 4 cleopatra

D
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cleopatra -
You're doing it!
Today I had a crap day of work, amid a crap week at work. Even with my toolbox overloaded with "coping tools," I almost swung by the market for a bottle of wine. The desire came from nowhere & was powerful. I relied on my most trusty & simplest tools of all (my hammer & nail). I drove on home, curled up in bed with my puppy & fell asleep at 6:30 pm.
I woke up an hour later, made some coffee & I'm good as new. Strong again.
Sometimes you just have to tuck yourself in, & care for yourself like a child...
Keep going! The rewards are infinite!!