Notices

Having a Hard Time

Old 01-07-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a Hard Time

I am looking for some support hotlines to help during this difficult beginning phase. Like many alcoholics, I've driven away everyone. I'm in the US. Please let me know if you've found any support lines helpful. I'm struggling.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaye

not an American so I can't vouch got any of these numbers but you should find something here.

What is SAMHSA’s National Helpline?

SAMHSA’s National Helpline (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service) is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations. Callers can also order free publications and other information.

Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) or visit the online treatment locators.
What are the hours of operation?

The service is open 24/7, 365 days a year.
Hopeline-dot-com has free 1-800 line that will connect any caller in the US who needs help to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The number is:

1- 800-784-2433
ALCOHOL

Alcohol Hotline
(800) 331-2900

Alcohol and Drug Helpline
(800) 821-4357

Alcohol Treatment Referral Hotline
(800) 252-6465

Alcohol & Drug Abuse Hotline
(800) 729-6686

Families Anonymous
(800) 736-9805

National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Hopeline
(800) 622-2255
Old 01-07-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This first phase is a bitch isn't it?!

As well as the lines, keep talking to us here - you've got people who have made it all the way to stable long-term sobriety, and others who are going through the same difficulties at the same time as you.

I feel really rough and low at the moment. Are you struggling most with feeling dreadful, intense cravings, both, or something ekse?
Old 01-07-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emjay2017 View Post
This first phase is a bitch isn't it?!

As well as the lines, keep talking to us here - you've got people who have made it all the way to stable long-term sobriety, and others who are going through the same difficulties at the same time as you.

I feel really rough and low at the moment. Are you struggling most with feeling dreadful, intense cravings, both, or something ekse?
I feel the same as you. Just awful. I don't think alcohol was the siren, but it sure quieted the other sadness and noise. And now, it's gone so the sadness and noise is back and also, there's nothing to quiet it. I guess that's craving.

And yes, to hear that it's not just me helps. Thank you
Old 01-07-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
fgo

The beginning is tough, but it will pass & so worth it.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's hard at the start but you can get thru this and be stronger for it.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

Covering sadness and noise with alcohol resonates with me. It's not so much sadness with me, but a mind that that just won't shut up. But there are also times that alcohol also took the edge off worries and anxieties. It numbed the mind in what felt like a relaxing way (it just felt like I nearly always overshot the right level of relaxation!). Without alcohol things can definitely have a sharper and more painful edge. But without alcohol in time there are fewer problems to deal with. I did also find before my mind calmed down, but it did take me about 3 months.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jaye, how are you doing now? I hope you are getting through the day. The first few days are tough, but it will be worth it.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Anna. I guess I'm ok, thank you for asked asking, but the constant sleeping is not great in terms of fixing the issues that have resulted from drinking. I'll give myself another day of rest then I have to be somewhat normal. I still feel pretty bad though.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jayne, that is so typical to sleep through it, your body is ridding itself of poison, there's a lot of pretty quick healing that begins right after you stop introducing alcohol into your body.keep it going, Feed your body healthy fruits, water. Look at money you are saving. Your doing a really great thing, give it a little time.