Notices

THE 1ST SOBER WEEKENDER OF 2017 - 6 to 9 Jan

Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I love putting furniture together, Ruby! I did a huge Ikea china cabinet all by myself several years ago. People wanted to help me but I chased them all away. Mine! All mine! Makes me want to go to Ikea to buy something just so I can put it together! Problem is, I don't need anything.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Tnek97, JackDsMissus, NorthernLass, Circlewagons, Meshelly and Grateful09. I remember you to NorthernLass and JackDsMissus. I delighted all of you are here.

Ruby, I have bought things from Ikea. To assemble a bed I would probably need to book a week off work. Like MrPl I had some bits leftover, in this case from a bedside table.

I attended my "new rules for 2017" talk. It was mercifully shorter than last year but the speaker was weird, he kept giving examples in which he would refer to himself in the third person. Saoutchik finds people who do that really annoying

Off home soon, not staying late tonight
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD! I'm going to need it.

I'm on day 5 and that's a little bit longer than I've normally lasted over the past year or so, which tells me that I'm more serious this time about my sobriety.

BUT...if I'm looking very clearly at what my top two or three insidious triggers are, weekends are definitely on that list.

I will be parking myself right here come Friday afternoon.

ABW1
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on day 5 ABetterWay! Lining up things to do at the weekend is always a good idea, you wouldn't think your alcoholic voice or AV would fall for something as obvious as just being preoccupied but it works
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Ty for the welcome everyone And, hai saoutchik! So good to see you stuck it out (and a little jelly) but happy to be back and with a better plan.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Count me in too!

Weekends have always been work time for me. I am in customer service, and in fact it always surprises me how many people are available for leisure M-F, 9-5. But the hotel where I work is closed for two months, so I am among the unemployed right now.

Monday I set off on a three-week train trip to Florida. I have a travelogue thread titled "Rave by Rain" (that's "Travel by Train" with a few letters missing...). I'll be posting and sharing pictures as I travel.

Today, I am going to pack my suitcases so I can see how much stuff I can buy at the store to take with me. I am starting my journey with a puddle-jumper flight from Orcas Island to Seattle where I will catch the train, and there is a very strict weight limit on luggage on the plane. I would like to take some snacks and limes for my water--I have to keep from getting hungry or thirsty because those are danger signs for drinking.

I got my ticket to watch a rocket launch today! While I am in Florida, there is an Atlas V rocket launching with a military surveillance satellite, so I am going to visit Kennedy Space Center that day.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

How cool!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That sounds like a fascinating three weeks Coldfusion. I love train travel. It's a shame about the baggage restriction on the flight, are there no ferry type crossings you can use? (sorry I am not sure of the distances involved)
Old 01-05-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm in :-)

Really loved the intro although weekends used to be less boozy for me than weekdays actually. I think it was cause I felt less stressed and pressured on the weekends.

MidnightBlue: I really can relate to what you said about always feeling like you have to apologise for everything. I struggle with that too, but I also believe in random acts of kindness as I think they brighten up our world a bit and can make someone's day a lot better.
So my advice would be to ask yourself, why you want to give a little something to your neighbours. Is it cause you feel like you have to cause you feel like you owe them something? Then don't do it, cause you didn't do anything wrong at all. Or is it that you want to cause you think it'll be a good ice breaker and make for a nice start and cause you want to do them something good? Then go for it!

I started my day feeling depressed and frustrated cause I didn't get much sleep for two nights in a row. My neighbours are renovating and start to be mega noisy in the early morning hours.
But then I decided to be noisy myself and renewed my broken kitchen tap which I wanted to do for about a year now. It wasn't easy at all cause the screw was so rusty it wouldn't move a nanometer. In the end I had to get my metal saw but I did it! I feel really proud over that accomplishment cause I did it all myself without a single man's help (and I'm a young woman without any experience in plumbers work).

And it's snowed here today, I love it! Everything looks so nice and bright!

Now it's time to prepare dinner (at 22:30, oops) and I decided to include some salad, just to be a bit more healthy.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm in! It's a special weekend for me.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Kervlarsjal! I admire you for taking on the plumbing challenge. I have done some seriously second-rate plumbing work that I am soon going to have a plumber replace. I love snow too!

I packed my suitcases, and am about ten pounds over without the limes and nuts. I don't need to fly--it is an extra part of my adventure since I enjoy small planes. In fact, if the weather is bad, I have an alternative itinerary that involves the ferry and a bus. But I called the airline and the agent said that it will be no problem with the extra weight. Still, I'll think about maybe mailing some stuff ahead since I packed early and there's plenty of time.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

How utterly annoying. I thought I had posted and apparently didn't.

I'm actually looking forward to putting the bed together. I assembled my kitchen cabinets a few years ago.

Coldfusion, your trip sounds really cool. Congratulations on tickets to the launch. That would be exciting.

My work day is winding down. Looking forward to my haircut this evening and reading all the terrible magazines to catch up on celebrity gossip. Although, I don't usually know who half the people are that they are talking about because I don't watch much TV or go to movies.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

What's so special about this weekend, Trees?
Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Kevlarsjal and congratulations on tackling and fixing that tap, you deserve to feel proud, doing things like that is very satisfying. I think a lot of people would be surprised at what they could do if they tried

Trees has piqued my curiosity but it will have to wait as i cannot keep my eyes open any longer. Bedtime for me
Old 01-05-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi guys.xx
Old 01-05-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Coldfusion, I traveled by train from Maine all the way to Kingman, Arizona to go to Vegas. I was on my own and it was the experience of a lifetime. Have a great trip!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good night, Sao!

Hi, Petals!

Lady Blue, the train from North Station in Boston up to Maine is one I have not done. But after this trip, I will have traveled most of Amtrak's system.

I am visiting my brother in Minnesota before I go to Florida to stay with my aunt. So I am boxing up all my warm-weather clothes for Florida, boots and jacket for Minnesota, one change of clothes for the trip, and some of my snacks. All of that I will mail ahead to Minnesota, and that has lightened my suitcases quite a bit. Originally I didn't have the boots in my suitcase but it will be good to have them--my brother keeps insisting that I can borrow boots from him, but we do not have the same size feet!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hey guys! I'm in! I know this is bad but I don't have any plans yet! Mostly because as I posted in another post, I'm very freshly sober (3 days) and feeling much more tired than I thought I would. I will come up with a plan tomorrow! Perhaps some video games with my husband and stepdaughter since I can do this and not have to move lol!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the great into post Sao

D
Old 01-05-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Congratulations on quitting, Doggoluvr!