Notices

Starting over

Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting over

On day 3 and I just wanted to share some thoughts that occurred to me today as I sat in an AA meeting. Ive been to inpatient rehab 2 times, and outpatient rehab a couple of times. You would think I knew enough about the program of AA and quitting drinking to quit by now, but here I am. It has occurred to me, its not how much you know, its what you put into practice. Recovery requires action.

However it occurred to me sitting in the meeting I actually know very little. I need to start over from the very beginning, like Im truly a newcomer. All the suggestions from all of you on the board I need to take in. In AA, I need to sit down and listen to what is suggested, as opposed to acting like I already know it all. "Knowing it all" never got me anything but drunk.

I will give feedback where I can based on my experience, but I need to focus on following the suggestions of those of you that have actually had success staying sober, because I obviously haven't. Cheers
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

we are similar

lots of thinking got me drunk

lots of action has kept me sober
Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. Although now, with six years sobriety, I do know a few things. I know I can recover if I follow a few simple steps laid out in the Big Book.
I was a drunk for twenty five years and I've learned that I know about alcohol. I know alcoholism and I understand alcoholics. I'm a long way from knowing it all, but I know I'm an alcoholic and I can never safely drink again.

It sounds like you have a good grasp on your situation. I know I couldn't think my way out of drinking. It took action. Sure, I failed many times trying to quit, even with this knowledge, but I never gave up trying.
I hope you don't, either.
Best to you on your journey, and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you now "get it" and can see what you need to do. You can do it. Your thinking and understanding of anything and everything will keep getting clearer and better the longer you are sober and the more you work a program.