SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 4 and cautiously optimistic (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/402906-day-4-cautiously-optimistic.html)

Ina123 01-04-2017 08:58 AM

Day 4 and cautiously optimistic

So far I haven't been sleeping much but that's to be expected.

For the past 12 years I have been a heavy drinker, the past 5 practically daily. My friends are all heavy drinkers as well, which is why i thought this forum may be a good place. My BF can also be a heavy drinker at times, but unlike me he can also enjoy nights off or just 1 or 2 beers. I open a bottle of wine and damnit i'm finishing it....and just one bottle is a good night.

I would say my MAJOR motivation is my health. I've been telling myself for years that i'm too young for any serious problems, but to be honest I know that's not true and simply a reassuring lie i keep telling myself.

Another major motivation for me is my future – ambition wise. I feel like i've been self sabotaging myself for over a decade. It's like i'm completely misrepresenting myself either through words or actions when i'm drunk or hungover....Constantly giving 20% if that...and so I drink again to forget that fact.

I constantly see this inspirational post online " She designed the life she loved" and it makes me sad cause I truly believe if I don't stop it'll read "She drank the life she hated".

I simply don't want to waste my talent and time on this earth.

I guess that's all.

Thanks for taking the time to read:)

Suzieq17 01-04-2017 09:07 AM

Thanks for posting. I hated my life for the 23 years I drank. The past few days have been a welcoming calm for me--I'm trying to embrace it, and so should you.

Keep posting and sharing. We are all in this together.

ABetterWay1 01-04-2017 09:20 AM

Hello lna and congratulations on 4 days! I am at 4 days myself and have a similar story to yours. Looking forward to sharing this journey with you.

FreedomHorse 01-04-2017 09:30 AM

Hi Ina123! Welcome! I loved your quotes...very inspirational!

Grateful09 01-04-2017 11:14 AM

Cautiously optimistic

"Cautiously optimistic" seems wise to me. When I first started trying to quit drinking, I was a bit too much in the land of "everything is great, woo-hoo!" In retrospect I think I was trying to run from the not-so-great sides of recovery, like early recovery symptoms, worrying about my health and so forth. Ironically, the land of "everything is great" was exhausting for me and I went back to drinking.

Nowadays, I'm a grateful realist. Much more helpful for sustained sobriety. Seems a bit like your cautious optimism. Congratulations on your good work! AND, for your smarts to think through where you are with all of this at the same time. :c011:

Mountainmanbob 01-04-2017 11:15 AM

I think it's a good thing to stay cautious this alcoholism can sneak up on us I do not trust the man in the mirror very much it's kept me sober for 9 years.

M-Bob

uncorked 01-04-2017 11:29 AM

Hi Ina and welcome. You sound like a very self-aware person. Coming here and posting is a huge step for many. Stick around and you'll find a lot of support and success stories. I can totally relate to drinking sabotaging ambition and motivation. I always felt like crap the next day. I didn't even realize how crappy I felt until I got sober! :-)

PurpleKnight 01-04-2017 12:44 PM

Welcome to the Forum Ina!! :wave:

August252015 01-04-2017 02:33 PM

Welcome! Good job on quitting. Keep going- look into the Class of Jan thread under Newcomers' Daily Support. People who start this month. You can do it!

MrPL 01-04-2017 04:20 PM

You can do it his Ina! Nothing wrong with being cautious and I'd use the optimism to build a solid recovery plan, it has made and is making all the difference to me.

P