Notices

Prescription sleep meds, antidepressants and anxiety meds

Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Now I do acupuncture and exercise and Vitamin B-12 for my anxiety. That helps me.[Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, p. 133]
Bunny, I agree totally with your take. It really all depends on the person and the severity of the illness. A few years back I really got a great handle on my anxiety and depression. I did vigorous exercise and talk Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Did the trick for me. My alcoholism was sort of accidental. I was really just enjoying life -- a little too much --- and my drinking got heavy due to partying. But then the alcohol itself started ramping up my anxiety again, and there I went.

I personally do not favor meds for anxiety and depression if you can avoid them. But some folks cannot avoid them, exercise and other stuff notwithstanding.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am not a clinically depressed person. I find I get situational depression that can send me off the deep end though. I have to be very careful what situations and people I expose myself to. I have had to go no contact with my mother and sister to save my sanity. My doctor has tried to put me on meds and I saw a therapist once who suggested it short term. I have tried them a couple of times and felt worse. Now I refuse any suggestion I try meds. I take time released melatonin for sleep as I too do not sleep well.

I do believe there are people who need meds. I also believe they are over prescribed and addictive. Managing my life so that I am not exposed to toxic situations that set me off keeps off medication. I would not judge anyone who goes the med route though.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
AA has a pretty strong position of being anti-medication
Some members may but AA does not.

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm grateful for the medication that treats my depression. I've wondered if my great grandfather would not have committed suicide, if such medication were available in his day.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I'm grateful for the medication that treats my depression. I've wondered if my great grandfather would not have committed suicide, if such medication were available in his day.
Yes, Pondlady, I wonder that about my grandfather, too, who committed suicide before I was born. He was described as a 'sad man'.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow, what a jerk. I hope no one took him seriously. Sounds like he needs anti-idiot meds. I'm surprised no one else said anything to him.

I'm not in AA and I don't understand that viewpoint. Sounds dangerous to me. I agree with the other here that whatever medicine(s) you take are between you and your doctor and are not up for public debate. I have taken anti-depressants for a long time, one of them being trazadone, which helps me sleep. I have also taken anti-anxiety meds for short periods of time.