Notices

Alone in a parking lot...

Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Only you can solve your problem with alcohol. You can get support, but only you can decide.

I'm texting with my sister right now. She was a nurse too. She lost her nursing license to drinking. She has cirrhosis and is currently under hospice care, and is still drinking right now.
She's only been drinking heavily for about 6 years.

If you think this can't happen to you, you're wrong.
I DO hear your pain & frustration. I know it's hard. I am so sorry. Thank you for taking time to post.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RickRude View Post
You don't have to suffer anymore if you choose not to.
Do you think I'm choosing this? No sarcasm intended. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chele71 View Post
Yes and no. Yes to the extent no one actually is putting a gun to your head and making you drink. No, to the extent you have a problem you that you have lost control and are addicted.

We've all been where you are at right now. I want there about 10 days ago. But you can at least decide to do something about the problem. And that is the first step.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Chele71
If you are not taking action toward quitting, then yes you are choosing to put alcohol in your body. With that choice comes consequences that you are not able to control, and a life that is spinning out of control. I know that feeling and I'm sorry you are going through it. The way out is to quit drinking completely. I hope you choose abstinence..for you and your lil man and your other children and everyone who cares about you.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Only you can solve your problem with alcohol. You can get support, but only you can decide.

I'm texting with my sister right now. She was a nurse too. She lost her nursing license to drinking. She has cirrhosis and is currently under hospice care, and is still drinking right now.
She's only been drinking heavily for about 6 years.

If you think this can't happen to you, you're wrong.
Good post, thx I needed that.

Sometimes I forget that I'm doing this mostly for health reasons.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

If you are isolating yourself in your car and drinking, you are setting yourself up for a DUI which will certainly make your life worse.

In my state, you don't even need to be driving to get a DUI.

I know a guy whose car broke down. He was sitting by the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to show up, and figured, what the heck, I might as well open the bottle I just bought. A cop came along before the wrecker. Even though his car was not running and wouldn't start, he was arrested and spent 3 days in jail (because it happened over a holiday weekend) before he could get bailed out.

Go to an AA meeting, how can that be worse than what you are currently doing?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

If the keys are in the ignition...it is an immediate arrest for DUI even if the car is not running. Don't be foolish!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I was a parking lot drinker. Drank during lunch. Drank on my way to catch the train. I was hopeless and ashamed. I did not know what was wrong with me. I felt so lost and broken. If you get and stay sober your life will vastly improve. I could not get sober on my own. I had to go the detox and rehab route and then work a vigorous 12 step program. My life has done a complete 180 and I am now neutral to alcohol and working in my field again. Amazing ! You can do it! Why not hit an AA meeting tonight?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
If the keys are in the ignition...it is an immediate arrest for DUI even if the car is not running. Don't be foolish!
I second all of this. Search DUI on this forum or click on my name and read my DUI saga. They are NOTHING to mess with. If you think your life is bad now, add a DUI to your list and a lost license for a long time and it just got a lot worse.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

One thing to consider...you might be peri-menopausal. There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence out there that women at this stage of life are more susceptible to their drinking suddenly going into full-blown alcoholism. There's a nasty combination of loss of estrogen and other feel-good female hormones combined with how alcohol highjacks the receptors for neurotransmitters.

You're a nurse, so you're a scientist. Research alcohol and hormones. Research drinking and neurotransmitters. For me, once you take the basis of addiction out of "I'm a terrible person" and focus on the biochemical action of alcohol in our brains and how really addictive that can be, it's less about self-condemnation and more about self-preservation to quit drinking.

In short, alcohol is a highly addictive and toxic substance (especially for women) that is being actively marketed as desirable by an industry that doesn't care who it kills. It's very much like smoking in the 1950s.

Here's another link to get you started...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.23a7a047d299

You can choose not to be a victim anymore. You can choose health and clarity. It's simple...it's just not easy. This board is an amazing resource for support and information; I have been sober for a year and two days and it's because I found this place and the people here.

You can do this.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Chele, you are not pathetic. You are in the right place. One great strategy is to develop a plan for each morning, then each afternoon, evening. Their are helpful links on how to do that on this site. It really helps, because you are the author and what you put on the plan fills your time with purpose. Each success makes the next challenge easier. This is how I got on track. Glad you are here!!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I was on the verge of losing everything as well, so as afraid as I was of life
without the emotional cushion of alcohol, what it was costing me finally was too much.

What I'm hearing from your post is that there is quite a bit of pain and conflict
in your marriage at the moment--maybe that's what triggered the acceleration
with the drinking in the first place?

I'm glad you are here--you can feel better, get better, and find your way out of this.

Keep posting--you are in exactly the right place with people who have been
there too
Old 01-03-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am stuck. I drank Saturday, by myself, always by myself . He punishes me by ignoring me. No talking . No acknowledgement. Nothing . I can't take it. I'm pathetic but I haven't always been this way.
Chele
You can do this you don't want to loose your son
You need to find the strength NOW .....stop drinking you can do it for your boy!!!
ST MICHAEL PLEASE GIVE CHELE THE STRENGTH TO STOP DRINKING....AMEN
Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I also understand my husband can't fix me. I am feeling attacked. Uugh.
You are feeling attacked..you are in the wrong place..no Chele..you are feeling like this because you are on a major bender..and the alcohol is making you feel this way...please get some sleep..if you cant go home because of what you will face when you walk through the door sleep it off in the car. Please dont attempt to drive.
I have been there myself.
Look after yourself..first and foremost..then change can happen..if you want it. I am on day 3.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chele

There's a lot of support here and good ideas. Come here and post instead of drinking - we can help you get through

D
Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Chele, your story sounds like mine. It took divorce papers for me to go to rehab and stop drinking. My now-ex got a temporary ex parte order for full custody of our then 9-yr-old son. You don't want that, trust me. We now have joint custody and 50/50 visitation but it took a while. Part of me kept drinking just to spite him. But I was really just spiting myself. Look, if I can quit, so can you. Take the bull by the horns. If you can go to rehab, do. I was terrified but it was the best thing I ever did. If you don't want to do if for yourself, do it for your son.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Chele!!
Old 01-04-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I think chele has checked out.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hopefully she'll be back. If not just yet, in the future.

Chele, if you're reading please let us know if you're okay.
Sending prayers for you from a chilly little Isle of fog tonight.