Notices

She died and I'm alive

Old 01-02-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

MIR,
Early in recover you reached out to me. Your passion for helping others really came through. I'm sure you stopped me from drinking that day. You understand how important that is. You are a special person for helping so many. Thank you for everything you do.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

MIRecovery. It's painful to even read your post title. I cannot fathom your grief... I admire your courage to go on and to remain sober. Thank you for sharing with us how you're making your way through this. Your daughter would be so proud. I hope your faith continues carrying your through and this year brings you more and more peace and comfort.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
Hi MI. I met my best friend's mom for lunch a few times after her son died. It was one of the most heart-breaking things I've ever seen in my life. I'm tearing up now. I can't imagine how that kind of loss feels, but it makes me sad to think about, MI. At least you're finding some peace in sobriety.
Best.
But you meeting like that was the most important way to heal, I'm living a similar situation and we all just like to be together, makes us closer to her, as it must for you all. Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

MIR, Since you lost your daughter I've prayed for you to be comforted - to whatever degree possible. I admire how you've managed to talk about your pain, even though it must be excruciating. I hope in some small way it's helped to share what you're going through. We care, and we love you.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(((MIRecovery))
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hope time is soothing your grief a tiny bit at least, MIR. We tell newcomers not to quit for someone else but perhaps this is an exception. I am sure she wouldn't want you to waste your life in your grief over the loss of hers. The way you have maintained sobriety is a testament to your love for her (and hopefully yourself).

While it's not much consolation I do think that loss makes us better people, or at least it puts us in the position to be better. The death of my father and the many humiliations of being a drunk punctured my overinflated ego, forcing me to look in the mirror and admit I didn't like what I saw. I think now I'm a little bit slower to anger, a bit quicker to forgive and more willing to accept people for who they are.

Best wishes for 2017, MIR!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thinking of you MIR, you are such an inspiration.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Thank you for all the kind words. I never have and never will feel like an inspiration. Life has so many twists and turns some good some bad. To me the hardest thing about sobriety is navigating life. When you are half in the bag most of your life and alcohol was the solution to everything we are ill prepared to live life. From my perspective leaning on others that gone before you is a life saver. Their experience, strength, and hope make most things possible.

I'm just trudging the road to happy destiny