Notices

Day 2 and struggling - I don't know if I can make it

Old 01-02-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good day all. Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement and thank you for checking in with me today. This is day 3 and right now my plan to fight the urge today is to simply stay at home and not go out. This will prevent me from dropping by the liquor store for "just one bottle". I think this is more white knuckling it right now but for now and while I work on my plan and lists this is how it is.

I've gotten a lot of great ideas from you all and really appreciate it. I feel like I have the strength and determination to follow up with these ideas now. My mind is slowly shifting into a getter place.

I was so afraid of judgement for my situation but so thankful for the acceptance and encouragement. Thank you all so very much. God's blessings for a wonderful and healthy 2017 for each of you.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you BB. I appreciate your suggestions here. I would appreciate it if you could pass the list on to me. I tend to do better with some type of template to start to work from and it sounds like the list would be just that.

Thank you so much for your good wishes and sound advise.

xx00 labgirl
Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad you are still trudging through this sucky time, labgirl. It truly gets better with time. Get through this detoxing bit and then we will all work together on staying sober every day.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well done on day 3! I just want to say a word about white-knuckling. It doesn't have to be this big frustrating negative thing. Ultimately, white knuckling was what worked for me. I was so worried that I needed a Big Plan, that what I was doing wasn't enough, that if I don't do it some certain way, I would definitely fail... I just want to tell you that sometimes it's a simple as committing that you will not drink, no matter what, and whatever it takes. Be it for the rest of your life, or one day at a time, or 30 minutes at a time. Whatever works for you, as long as you don't pick up no matter what.

Hugs and good wishes for a great sober week ahead!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Well done on day 3! I just want to say a word about white-knuckling. It doesn't have to be this big frustrating negative thing. Ultimately, white knuckling was what worked for me. I was so worried that I needed a Big Plan, that what I was doing wasn't enough, that if I don't do it some certain way, I would definitely fail... I just want to tell you that sometimes it's a simple as committing that you will not drink, no matter what, and whatever it takes. Be it for the rest of your life, or one day at a time, or 30 minutes at a time. Whatever works for you, as long as you don't pick up no matter what.
So much truth in that! Great advice for anyone.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by labgirl View Post
Thank you BB. I appreciate your suggestions here. I would appreciate it if you could pass the list on to me. I tend to do better with some type of template to start to work from and it sounds like the list would be just that.

Thank you so much for your good wishes and sound advise.

xx00 labgirl
No problem - It's quite long so I have sent it as private message so as not to hijack the thread with one post.

Prayers for your recovery and sobriety tonight from the UK. BB
Old 01-02-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey - it is actually pretty dang nice being in your right mind all day every day

Please hang in there with us. Takes awhile to break that nasty spell but when it starts to happen the only thing you will fret about is that you did not quit sooner
Old 01-02-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting to day 3!
Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Berrybean, Will you also please pm me a copy of the list? It sounds like a great tool.
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Got it, thank you BB!!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by labgirl View Post
Hi. I’m here at the end of day 2 with nothing to drink. Part of me is glad of this and the other part of me wants a drink. I hate to admit this, but stringing 2 days together without a drink is quite a feat for me. This is after 3-4 years of ever increasing drinking. I’ve gone from wine to rum and finally at vodka. I drink for the oblivion. The initial buzz is fine and I like it but my main goal is blackout. I’m not the type who can buy a bottle and just drink a little or even half of it….no, I buy a bottle and finish the entire thing in one night. This behavior happens almost on a daily basis. I may have one night that I don’t drink at all but those are few and far between. With me I drink in the evenings. I stop after work and pick something up to bring home for the evening. Needless to say the next morning I’m hung over to the max and have to struggle through my morning workout and then work for the rest of the day only to do it again that very evening. I hate it, I hate myself. I want to quit, I need to quit. This routine has absolutely shredded any self-esteem I may have had; I can’t even look at myself in the mirror. When I pass someone at work, at the grocery store, anywhere, I can’t even look up at them. I’m so disgusted with myself and I don’t want to see that disgust reflected back in the face of strangers.

I pray that I’ll stay strong tomorrow when the stores open back up after the holiday and that I won’t collapse and buy a bottle of false courage.

Thanks for reading.
Hi Labgirl..i am on day 2 also.. not wanting a drink but emotionally strung out..high..and low..but knowing i dont want to buy and consume poison again..your esteem is low because of the alcohol..it robs you of self worth..and drains your bank balance.... i only drank in the evenings..and had become an accomplished hider of bottles..waking up in the morning thinking..omg..where did i put them.. it is a relief to sit here now with a Horlicks..hugs to you..and stay strong.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks whitehorses. I know exactly what you mean. I've found empty bottles as well as those 1/2 full still. And each time I found one I was overcome with shame. I'm very glad that tonight I am sober, I'll remember what I did tonight when I wake up in the morning and I won't be hung over.

thanks for your post
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You're doing great labgirl, you got this! I can relate to you a lot in your initial post. I'm in day 5, and today was my first day off work. As to avoid previous habits I made a schedule of what I would do all day. I too will remember what I did today without a hangover. I do not want another hangover ever.

Keep it up!!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing labgirl. I am winding up day 3 also. I also would drink to oblivion every night. Not because I wanted to, but because I just couldn't seem to stop myself from getting to that point.
So far, the past 2 mornings, I've woken up happy, and relieved that I'm not hungover with a head full of fog. I actually look forward to the evening where I can relax and have some tea instead.... going through the actual evening is what seems to be difficult... not because of cravings exactly, but more restlessness.... I wish you (and us) much success
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oct2016 View Post
Berrybean, Will you also please pm me a copy of the list? It sounds like a great tool.
Thanks!
Done and sent Oct. Hope it helps.
BB