Notices

Tips for making the most of the next 30 mins

Old 01-01-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for making the most of the next 30 mins

A craving only last 30 mins. What's your tip to make the most of a thirty minute period of time?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to play online scrabble . . . would eat up those 30mins day after day, or any puzzle game to take your mind off it!!

Alternatively a walk in the fresh air, do something around the house, ride that storm!!
Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Continually telling myself not to drink and distracting myself with other activities.

Reading, cleaning, folding laundry, putting laundry away, dishes, cleaning a toilet, mopping the floor, vacuuming, cleaning the shower, organizing the pantry....I could go on, but this is a good list to start with.

Anything but drink.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

I hope you are past the worst of it now, water.

I have coloring books, they are fun, relaxing and a time suck! When I want to speed time up for awhile, I color.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eating something good and preferentially nutritious (but many people swear on ice cream), going for a walk, doing some chores, talking to someone non-triggering, looking up something interesting online, listening to music that captures my attention, journaling about my thoughts and feelings during the craving. The journaling ended up quite interesting over time, it really helped identify patterns and triggers. When the cravings became less powerful with time, I also explored meditating through them and observing physical and mental feelings (I think that would be similar to what is often described as "urge surfing").
Old 01-01-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

During those moments sometimes it was hard to concentrate but I would find a sitcom on tv or Netflix to try get my mind off of it. I always had good luck with the Twilight Zone or Everybody Loves Raymond. Also, several days ago I was having a craving and I called a friend. We had a ten minute talk just catching up and at the end of the phone call, the desire to drink was gone. One thing I also recommend is the arcade section of this website. I've found some really fun games on there.