SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just Got Out of Detox! 5th Day Sober! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/402628-just-got-out-detox-5th-day-sober.html)

Horn95 12-30-2016 12:45 PM

Just Got Out of Detox! 5th Day Sober!

And I am feeling pretty good. Having some anxiety, but that is to be expected. Thankfully, I did the med detox. But that was an experience in and of itself -- I never want to go through that again. It was -- no pun intended -- a sobering experience. A lot of reality hits you when you are sober.

But I am confident I will prevail. I know this is only the beginning. My plan is to go the AA route. I can't do the IOP, because I travel a lot for my work. I have a lot of materials to work with that I got from the clinic. And of course, I have this site for support. I am also going to get treatment for what got me here: my anxiety disorder.

In any event, I am on my way to the sober life. I feel really good physically. And happy to be sober.:tyou to all of you for the support and encouragement to get me here.

I have been looking forward all week to making this post!!!!

ardy 12-30-2016 12:51 PM

hugs kiddo so many hugs and prayers and just remember why you did this.. and never forget for a minute.. that if you should do that deed again it could mean your life..... my hubby was in one of those 2 years ago when the morphine withdrawal did not work well... almost lost the best guy in the world.. he is a beast .. as the withdrawal you started will not end in that time frame.. but you will fight for your body and the rights to live in it for a long long time... promise ..... love and hang in there... for a better tomorrow..

Delilah1 12-30-2016 01:45 PM

I'm glad detox went well, so excited for you to start 2017 sober!

Soberwolf 12-30-2016 01:48 PM

Excellent Horn

suzyq77 12-30-2016 01:51 PM

Great job on getting through detox Horn!

I found that after only about a month or so, my anxiety was mostly gone. I hope you have some natural relief with yours as well!

Life is going to get much better for you very soon!! :You_Rock_

PurpleKnight 12-30-2016 03:59 PM

Fantastic Horn!! :scoregood

Winslow 12-30-2016 04:19 PM

Thanks for the update Horn:) congrats on getting that done and over with,you never have to go through that again

Horn95 12-30-2016 04:29 PM

thanks for all the support guys. It means a lot.:You_Rock_

Anna 12-30-2016 04:43 PM

That's great, Horn. I'm glad to hear from you and that you're doing well.

biminiblue 12-30-2016 04:49 PM

Hey! It's good to hear from you, I'm glad it was tolerable and that it's over.

You don't ever have to go through that again. Whew.

DesertDawg 12-30-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Horn95 (Post 6267694)
e. I can't do the IOP, because I travel a lot for my work.

First of all, congratulations Horn!
As you probably know, a medical detox is much better (and safer) than what you would have gone through going cold turkey. That' just great.

Also, I was worried about being able to continue in IOP when I got out of residential, because the IOP was only 3 hours/day for 3 days/week. Like you, I travel a lot for work (like 85% travel). My IOP therapist sent my employer's short term disability carrier a letter saying that in addition to that 9 hours/week, I also had to attend a certain amount of 12-step meetings, and when all that time was added up, it was apparently enough to allow for short-term disability coverage, because it was approved. Not saying that will work in your case, but maybe it's worth pursuing??
IOP gave me a chance to get my sober head right before returning to work (which was major stressor and trigger for my drinking.)

In either case, good luck to you.

FLCamper 12-30-2016 04:50 PM

Great! Get started in AA right away and keep the momentum going. My anxiety nearly disappeared after sobering up. I'm very happy for you - that is a great feeling.

Dee74 12-30-2016 04:56 PM

Welcome back Horn - as others have said - keep that momentum going! :)

D

Mklove 12-30-2016 05:03 PM

Horn, Happy New Year, how exciting for you, you got this!

Zebra1275 12-30-2016 05:22 PM

My plan is to go the AA route. I can't do the IOP, because I travel a lot for my work.

You're in luck! Every town you go to will have AA meetings and they will welcome you with open arms.

Alone in a hotel room in the evening was a dangerous time for me. Attending a local AA meeting took care of that.

Midwest1981 12-30-2016 05:22 PM

I am glad you are feeling better Horn! keep working it!! :)

Ariesagain 12-30-2016 05:51 PM

Oh, hooray for you!!!!!

You're doing great!!!

:c011:

BringingBackB 12-31-2016 05:40 AM

Great job Horn, carry this momentum into 2017, and remember you need never have to go through detox again.