Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Withdrawal - Day 4 - Still not much better - when will it stop ?

Notices

Old 12-30-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was expecting to feel much better today but I don't . I don't really have the dry heaving any more but have very little appetite. I still feel shaky and anxious and have a bit of diarrhoea. I also have backache on one side (kidney?). Yesterday I tried to eat something three times during the day and to drink a lot of water... but it was hard. When oh when will this go away ? As Dee said the good news is that I never have to go through it again. This is the worst thing I have ever had in my life (counting malaria which I have had twice). Please tell me it will get better soon.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

I sorry you are still feeling so lousy, withdrawls can be tough, and I don't know that there is an exact ending date. Why don't you give your doctor a call, they may be able to help ease you through some of the symptoms.

Dee is right, it won't last forever, and you never need to feel like this again, but in the interim, give your doctor a call.

Keep checking in here, and let us know how you are doing.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

By the end of my drinking days I'd be sick for a week or more...I hope you'll be better way before that

D
Old 12-30-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

You will start feeling better soon enough
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Withdrawal is horrible, there is no doubt there. Just keep up with trying to eat and drink what you can. I know i've had to pretty much force down food for the first few days before things eased up.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there.

You will feel better soon, try not to worry.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning- hope you have slept some. We can't tell you when you will feel lots better - we CAN tell you that you will if you don't drink.

I found that I slept as much as possible/needed and it helped the first few days pass. Seeing your dr is a good idea too. I certainly needed a look at my whole physical condition.

Hang in there.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Sorry to hear you are still feeling crappy, withdrawal is really tough.

Unfortunately with withdrawal there is no set rule. It will depend on your age, how many times you have been through withdrawal before, how much/how long you drank for, many different things. Mine lasted progressively longer the more times I went through them. (usually 3-5 days before I felt like my normal self again).

I hope you feel better soon
Old 12-30-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Hang in there! I'm still early days myself, 22, but I feel better now than I have in such a long time.

Tough going in the beginning but I just kept reminding myself that I felt no worse than when I was drinking and atleast now I was on the path to feeling well.

Going to the Docs is a good idea too.

You CAN do this.

I hope you are feeling better very soon.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 4 i always still feel rough but it still feels better than day 1! Last time I detoxed I didn't feel good until about a week and a half to two weeks, just stick it out, it'll get better soon
Old 12-30-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make some notes to yourself about how awful this withdrawal has been. Keep them somewhere, and if you ever consider drinking again, read your notes.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes , I have made a diary of all the awful symptoms - hopefully that can dissuade me from ever having to induce this again by picking up that first drink . End of Day 4 .. still exhausted and with an ache over my kidney. Anyone had that ? On the bright side., no more dry heaves !
Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there.

The areas around my kidneys, liver and panaceas ached for years.

I always fooled myself into thinking it was gas or a muscle ache.

Of course all that went away now that I am 67 days sober.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are doing this I candothis!! funny my old screen name I used on here was Icandoit12. I changed it due to fear of my ex finding me on here.

It gets better. Loads of water, bananas, funny movies, just stay hydrated.

I called my dr and asked for her to call in and prescribe me some detox meds. She did and the are helping great. Just feel tired.

rest. water. meetings. posting on here. this is what can help us do the next right thing.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I attribute a lot of withdrawal with a lack of hydration, nutrition. I'm on day 2.5. The first night when I woke up from an earlier binge I took a couple sleeping pills and had decent insomnia. The next day I had mild shakes, racing heart, nausea, liver pain. I pounded water all day, took some electrolyte supplements and forced down a dry bag of top ramen. That night even with Benadryl didn't get much sleep.

I woke up today feeling none of those symptoms, so at work I pounded water and ate 2 meals. I'm going to eat another before bed and may or may not have insomnia. But I contribute feeling much better today to all the water intake, small nutrients and food.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, it does get better. I would be super carful about taking any supplements without Dr. Really testing liver. Especially with any pain in that area. Be darn sure your liver is solid, sleeping pills etc. can wreak havoc. I learned the hard way. Liver damage is not fun.glad you'Re here, everybody.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
I was expecting to feel much better today but I don't . I don't really have the dry heaving any more but have very little appetite. I still feel shaky and anxious and have a bit of diarrhoea. I also have backache on one side (kidney?). Yesterday I tried to eat something three times during the day and to drink a lot of water... but it was hard. When oh when will this go away ? As Dee said the good news is that I never have to go through it again. This is the worst thing I have ever had in my life (counting malaria which I have had twice). Please tell me it will get better soon.
Icandothis
You are only just getting started....it's been 2 months for me and I still have times when I feel tired. Just take one day at a time....I've read here that 90 days is the average time to feel some what back to normal.
Good luck and don't give up.