Notices

Dreams

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I haven't been here for a while but has anyone ever thought to analyse their dreams.

Do they mean anything? And if any of you could point me in the right direction, to another site it would be greatly appreciated.

SS4
Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi shellshocked - I'm not a dream analyst at all I'm afraid.

Do you mean the vivid and sometimes nightmarish kind of dreams in early recovery?

Those are pretty common and normal
D
Old 12-29-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellshocked444 View Post
I haven't been here for a while but has anyone ever thought to analyse their dreams.

Do they mean anything? And if any of you could point me in the right direction, to another site it would be greatly appreciated.

SS4
I have the weirdest dreams when I first quit. I was in a house I didn't recognize with people I didn't know and I kept falling and breaking things and they would get angry. Fast forward and I'm in my own kitchen and a skunk got in the house? The skunk promptly jumped on one of my dogs back and sprayed. Then I woke up wondering why the house didn't smell like skunk.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have alot of dreams of my wife cheating....and others of deployments guess those 2 are my nightmares. They are so damn vivid
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fedup1234 View Post
I have alot of dreams of my wife cheating....and others of deployments guess those 2 are my nightmares. They are so damn vivid
That's awful. I sometimes have very vivid ones about my parents who have been gone a long time and not all of them are happy.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My dreams often mix people from different times of my life into present or past situations. They are a blend of reality being stranger than fiction.
Last week I had a dream that my mom was in the operating room during my knee surgery, it was a younger version of my mom, and I was awake during the surgery. When I checked into the hospital last Wednesday I made sure they anesthesiologist knew I did not want to wake up at any point during the surgery, and if my mom showed up in the OR she was now to be allowed to scrub in!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello,
Dreams are healthy !
Dreams in which you go back through your day or recent days are supposed to be even healthier...
Have a look here :
Why Do We Have Nightmares?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sadly I don't remember any like that, LOL.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My brain is waking up. The think and just do bits of my brain only get to talk to each other when 'I' am asleep. They just put it out there to each other- fighting, comparing, laughing. Sometimes I see, feel, hear, remember their conversations. They communicate by talking, memories, pictures, thoughts and feelings. Kind of like the adults talking and I am the kid listening in. I know something is up- but can't quite work out what...
Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For the last year of my drinking or so, I had incredibly vivid nightmares. Those turned into very vivid dreams when I quit drinking. Taking seroquel every night has really helped with that process- now I sometimes remember vivid dreams that are combinations of people/places/things that don't "belong" together, and other times I guess I just sleep/dream "normally" and don't remember anything.

I find that often a dream I remember connects to something weighing on my mind that I need to think through. Sometimes, on the other hand, it's just random stuff that is often funny and bizarrely entertaining. I sleep much better the longer I am sober, only occasionally having a bad restless night, and don't get to caught up in what dreams might mean unless it seems there is a significant take-away.