Notices

back again

Old 12-29-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy back again

hey all...back again. Have done some nasty things to my partner/family/friends/work and pretty much lost most of these now.

I think I have borderline personality disorder unfortunately to compound it.

Smashing headache, begged my boyfriend to take me back again this morning. I completely forgot I said some really really nasty stuff to him..stuff I had promised not to say/do ever again.

I'm... at rock bottom.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you, peacefulfreedom. I'm sorry for the pain you're in. I hope being here will help. You're never alone.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back, glad you came. BPD is treatable for sure, but of course the drinking needs to stop before you can work on that. Have you followed or explored a formal sobriety or plan/program in the past?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God, thanks. so nice to have you guys respond so fast. I was wondering that, do I need to quit alcohol completely in order to combat the borderline??? because with some of the symptoms, I swear it helps. Like stops me doing some of the bad symptoms. Sorry, I know I should ask a doctor that and I know what they would say so I guess I've partially answered my own question... I'm just scared I guess
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking absolutely does not help any mental illness, if anything, it makes it worse. Yes, I would get sober pronto, and stay that way. Then you can treat the BPD. But don't drink!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so yes it's going to interfere with any treatment you might receive for BPD or any other psychological disorder for that matter. Not to mention all the other problems alcohol is causing you. But before you even get that far, maybe talk with a counselor? Self diagnosing disorders is not the best way to go about it, right?

It is scary for certain - quitting that is - but is it really any scarier than the destruction alcohol is causing on your life now?
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BPD me too

Originally Posted by peacefulfreedom View Post
hey all...back again. Have done some nasty things to my partner/family/friends/work and pretty much lost most of these now.

I think I have borderline personality disorder unfortunately to compound it.

Smashing headache, begged my boyfriend to take me back again this morning. I completely forgot I said some really really nasty stuff to him..stuff I had promised not to say/do ever again.

I'm... at rock bottom.
I also have BPD tendencies. I've driven away my fair share of family and friends over the years. Drinking definitely exaserbates my flawed judgement and big mouth. Every bad thing I've said over the last 5 was me drunk. It's horrible. I'm lucky my husband sees the good in me. Drinking and BPD is a recipe for disaster. Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I thought alcohol relieved my anxiety (symptoms), but ultimately it made things much much worse. Welcome back peacefulfreedom.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Unhappy thanks.... but question

Thanks so much for the replies. You guys are the only reason I've been able to consider to continue living a bit. My mum's partner is a psychiatrist who has informally diagnosed me just by knowing me over a fair bit of time. I know I need to go get a formal diagnosis though. At least that way I might get help right...

But I honestly don't know - I think my borderline is the thing that has destroyed my life, not necessarily the alcohol. I think maybe the alcohol has just kind of acted as a catalyst? Oh.. I don't know. I'm going to counselling next week when all the stuff opens up again after chrissy... I honestly know I'm a crap person. My partner has made it worse too I think because he has seen the brunt of my bad behaviour he now doesn't have any patience left for me. (He never really had a lot in the first place though - he's not that kind of guy).

I'm in a dark place. I realised the only thing that was keeping me around was my dog. Again. Could never leave her.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are not a crap person. because you are working at getting well.

Well done on seeing a counsellor next week, and a formal diagnosis a good idea too. Lots of people here with Borderline and they are getting well.

In my view sobriety adds a spiritual (I'm an aetheist) component which should help in transcending and dealing with BPD. Things become simpler.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! I am another one who thought alcohol helped to ease my anxiety, however, it really just made it worse.

Spend some time reading and posting, check out the December 2016 class, and Dee will be posting the January 2017 class in a few days, that will be a great place to meet others at the same point in their recovery journey. Also, the 24 hour thread is a great group, everyone checks in daily for accountability, and we a
L checking in and and support each other. Hope to see you posting more!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi peacefulfreedom, welcome back.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you PeacefulFreedom
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome back PeacefulFreedom

I'm sorry you're so low.

I'm not a doctor of any kind but I do believe that my drinking exacerbated a lot of other problems I had, and I do believe that, whatever else I had to deal with, I ended up an alcoholic.

I am sure your problems will lessen if you get a diagnosis and a treatment plan for BPD...but as a layman, I doubt things will improve too much of you keep drinking.

I had a look back at your old posts - maybe you should do that too?

I know the temptation is to blame anything but our drinking, but please do try and look at it realistically.

D
Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Post thanks Dee

I just re-read my posts from earlier. (Once I discovered I could because you mentioned it). I am so glad I posted here when I did! Wow. So good reading them again. Somehow my past self has given my present self perspective.

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don't just roll with a diagnosis from a family member. Get yourself to your own mental health doc.

But...... don't let mental health issues be a scapegoat that gives you a loophole to keep drinking.

Most often it seems mental health issues and addiction are inextricably interwoven. You can't successfully address one without the other also being seen to.

But the good news is, facing up to both and taking the steps to embrace sobriety and treat whatever mental health issues you may have will give you the opportunity to live a life of abundance, joy, freedom and gratitude.

Which I guarantee is a million times better than living with addiction and other mental health challenges.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Peacefulfreedom -

The primary reason that I don't drink or use is entirely because it encourages/releases my rageful self. Making the choice to quit drinking was primarily to return to control of my emotions.

I have to remind myself of this when many months of sobriety have passed, and I find myself sitting in an AA meeting feeling like I don't share the background to identify as an alcoholic.

Alcohol amplifies my mental health issues. Maybe I'm not an "alcoholic," but if I want to build healthy relationship behavior, I simply cannot drink.

Also, like you, my relationship with my puppy is one of my primary grounding tools. I also do therapy, and participate in the particular 12 step meetings that I feel are supportive/nurturing (which I have found to be women's meetings).

For me, I've found that identifying myself as someone who is "in recovery" from my mental health issues, rather than from drugs and alcohol is feeling most correct. I cannot use drugs and alcohol, in service of my emotional healing, but shifting the focus has felt much more "right" or "authentic" to me. It is a subtle shift in perception, but somehow it makes a difference to me. That shift has supported my quitting smoking in the last week (day 5! unbelievable), and still feeling happy and grounded.

I think you're on the right track! You deserve to be able to love and connect with a beloved without tanking it through impulsive words...
Old 12-30-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Peacefulfreedom!!