Notices

Honesty alert.. I failed again

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Honesty alert.. I failed again

Posted earlier about wanting to stop went to the gym for 2 hours worked out hard per usual for a Wednesday night but the stress of the day caught me buying a small bottle of wine on the way home ugh.. Excuses I know but feeling like crap about my typical Wednesday night wine and reality TV time..just posting to remind myself to be accountable..
Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Make tomorrow your day 1. You can do it don't give up.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Being honest is great but so is being prepared

Next time try posting here first Becka?

we can definitely talk you out of any bad ideas, and we may even be able to give you some other healthier ideas about dealing with stress.

What had you so wound up that 2 hours of exercise couldn't shift it?

D
Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it would take more then a message board post to explain that but in a nutshell I think I'm suffering from PTSD from a couple incidents earlier this year (domestic abuse and a car accident at 34 wks pregnant) and when things get tense with my fiance I kind if go to my own place and just have a couple glasses of wine to calm down and get my thoughts straight. It sounds crazy I know but I can't take anti depressants or benzos because they make me nutty and I have a highly addictive personality so I try to stay away from additional addictives. Ugh lame I know #nutshellstory
Old 12-28-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BTW I am a psych major so I know exactly what I'm doing and I still can't control it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fedup1234 View Post
Hang in there. Make tomorrow your day 1. You can do it don't give up.
Thank you!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BabyBecka View Post
BTW I am a psych major so I know exactly what I'm doing and I still can't control it
Have you gotten professional help for your PTSD? There are non-drug therapies and techniques that can help, and they are a lot better than using alcohol to "calm down"
Old 12-28-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Your here...no failure! Thoughts of Love & Strength to you!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately in the longer term using alcohol is probably not going to do you any favours.

I drank for anxiety and depression, but as I became more and more addicted to alcohol, my anxiety heightened whenever I wasn't drinking, as did my depression.

I ended up with not only the original anxiety and depression, but more of the same thanks to a growing addiction.

Altho I've never heard of anti depressants being addictive, I understand that you may not want to turn to more drugs to solve the problem.

There may be a variety of treatments available that do not employ medication - breathing exercises, relaxation techniques, therapy and psychological approaches...

I would not give up hope of finding a better safer and all round better solution than alcohol

D
Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Have you gotten professional help for your PTSD? There are non-drug therapies and techniques that can help, and they are a lot better than using alcohol to "calm down"
I agree with this. Seeing a therapist or AA meetings can be a great help, and don't require any medication. Also if medication is suggested, there are countless ones that are not addictive and a hell of a lot better than alcohol which is highly addictive and can destroy your life.