Notices

Question for cig smokers

Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question for cig smokers

I am on day 2 sober. Quit smoking cigarettes aswell. But feel it might be too much withdrawal. So I decided to keep smoking cigarettes for now. Anyone have any insight or experience with this
Old 12-28-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a lot to quit at once, personally I couldn't do both but maybe try cutting down on the cigs at first if its hard so you don't overwhelm yourself and give up. Good luck to you
Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I say get rid of the cigarettes. They will probably not help you stay off the alcohol, and may actually increase the desire to drink overall. After 72 hours the nicotine is out of your system, and you just have to not start again.

Check out whyquit.com and their Free Quit Smoking Books, Guides and Tips.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a few weeks sober and plan to quit smoking in 3wks. I almost didn't buy a pack today,but I'm taking 'baby steps'.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Quitting both at once may be too much, though that is for your to decide. For many, it's a take one thing at a time approach with knocking the monster of alcohol out first, then move onto other issues like smoking.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

I personally wouldn't recommend quitting both at once. I quit the ciggies first, then the booze. Although I must admit I found quitting smoking a lot easier than quitting drinking!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's an app for counting how many cigs you have in a day,it might help you cut back a bit,or an e-cig,drinking and smoking are bothterrible but I think keeping off the booze is most important,wishing you strength
Old 12-29-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I say smoke your you-know-whats off. Do yourself a favor: don't try to quick nicotine or caffeine while quitting alcohol.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm also a smoker. The thing about quitting anything is having a true desire to do so. I have a true desire to quit drinking...it's mind altering. I'll get around to the cigarettes, but it doesn't alter my thinking, behavior or abilities. For me, I choose one thing at a time. Great job on day 2, and best of luck with the cigarettes!! Don't drink today...you CAN do this!!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to not smoke to remain sober. I've known that as fact for a long time now. As soon as I have a cigarette AV becomes completely unmanageable.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Some people say to have a few months / a year sober before quitting nicotine. In my case I had 3 months and I know I could never do both at the same time.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the input. I know that by quitting drinking eventually I will quit smoking since I smoke more when I drink. Had a tough day today day 3 no work until Tuesday fought the urge to drink by cleaning the entire garage.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last time I stopped drinking I waited three weeks before attempting to stop smoking. Eleven months later I picked up a drink then a few nights later started smoking again. Alcohol destroys my will power where nicotine is concerned.

I'm going to quit smoking again next week which gives me about a week to get over the initial hump of stopping drink. I know if worst comes to worst I'd pick up a cigarette rather than a drink and I'm ok with that. I'll give it a shot but no pressure.

Caffeine you will pry from my cold, dead hands
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn't try both. Not drinking in the beginning took ever once of determination I had. Couldn't imagine doing both. I'm close to six months sober and am just now trying to give up the cigs
Old 12-29-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes the craving for a cigarette can be interpreted as a craving for alcohol so you need to be vigilant.

I had to quit both at once because when I drank I wanted to smoke a cigarette and vice versa.

Worked out ok for me - I was so sick from alcohol withdrawal and associated problems the giving up ciggies had a barely negligible effect..

D
Old 12-29-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fedup1234 View Post
I am on day 2 sober. Quit smoking cigarettes aswell. But feel it might be too much withdrawal. So I decided to keep smoking cigarettes for now. Anyone have any insight or experience with this
When I went through a 28 day rehab they recommended to put off for a while the stopping of cigarette smoking. Just stopping the booze and for some the drugs is enough on ones plate.

If you can do it at this time -- great.
But, you may really need one every once in a while at this time.
M-Bob
Old 12-29-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA Member

i went to smokers anonymous when i was 9 months sober and havent smoked since