Notices

Want to stop, don't know how

Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to stop, don't know how

Been drinking since I was a teenager. Lately it seems to be excessive and to drown out things that have happened that I don't want to think about. I've blacked out a few times this month and I feel anxious at night when I don't drink. Every morning I say I'm not going to drink that night but i almost always still do. Somewhere along my way I went from having a great time to not knowing when to stop. I can drink 2 bottles of wine in a night and I hate feeling like crap the next day ... Just looking for some support or encouragement because I don't get it from anyone else. My fiance, friends, and family members all drink too so its hard to avoid. Trying to find the strength.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Becka and welcome to SR, there's loads of support here.

I know exactly how you feel. I've spent god knows how many days feeling so crappy and counting down the hours until I can get off work and have a few drinks to make myself feel 'better'. The problem is I find it very difficult to stop, and so the pattern repeats on a seemingly endless loop. Fortunately, you are in the right place I find reading/posting here everyday helps me hugely. Just over 3 weeks sober now. You can do it
Old 12-28-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As you're becoming aware alcohol turns from the problem into the solution, or so we think.

Many paths to sobriety all requiring willingness. Sobriety is there for all - nothing special about the people that gain sober time. Simply, the pain of drinking became greater than we could tolerate any longer.

Welcome
Old 12-28-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome BB, plenty of help and support here to help you break the cycle once and for all.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If you get anxious when you don't drink, maybe you should get your doctor's help in quitting. Sometimes meds can be given that mitigate the withdrawal symptoms.

I used to feel hopeless too, but I got sober for good seven years ago and don't regret a minute of it. My life is better than ever now.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome from one BB to another.

Glad you found us. I had surrounded myself with other heavy and problem drinkers by the time I'd realised that it was becoming more or a problem than a pleasure. That can make it more convoluted, but by no means impossible to stop.

You're likely to need a good plan, and a good network of support (mine has come from here and from people in the fellowship of AA). Dee has a great thread about making a plan... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

If you are an alcoholic / problem drinker, there is no problem that a drink won't make worse. So life will, after the initial wrench, get better for its absence in our lives, as long as we build up a good sober toolkit by working a solid plan of recovery.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 12-28-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Becka,

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on this website. The link above about plans is great.

Two links that I have found really helpful are the January 2016 class, and the 24 hour thread. You can join the December class, you will find others who have decided to commit or recommit to sobriety this month.

I was also a daily wine drinker, and just about every morning I thought "not tonight," only to pop open another bottle after work. Each morning I would head off to work with a fuzzy head, and definitely wasn't at my best. I had brief periods of sobriety in the past, and. Any failed attempts at moderation. Last NYE I finally decided enough.

The first few days are tough, but you will get through them and will find that sobriety is so worth it. You can do this! Looking forward to seeing you on SR!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 12-28-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think for most of us it was all fun and games, until full blown alcoholism rears it's ugly head.
This site is a great place to start. Also perhaps try a local AA meeting, do some reading, watch a few youtube videos on recovery,. There are lots of options to help you along on your journey.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, BB! The days/weeks before I quit when I wondered if I ever could were the worst days. It's like that for most of us. Pour it out!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another BB.

Oh. Except I'm bb.

I just made a decision to never drink again no matter what. That closed all the loopholes. Then as time went by I worked on the other stuff that was bothering me. There is a book or a website for any problem under the sun.

Welcome
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi reading your post I felt it could have been me writing it! I'm feeling exactly the same and have just joined this site in preparation for quitting and in hope of inspiration. Best of luck with your journey x
Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your encouraging words and links. I've spent the morning going through them all. I just hope I can be as strong as y'all.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ns2017

Good job Becka
Old 12-28-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

BB, alcohol went from fun times to a problem for me too.

Please read my post I started and see my progression and failures. Please be aware that you face a very similar road.

Feel free to message me with any questions concerning my journey that you will will help you.

Good luck. You got this. Realize what it is you are surpressing with alcohol and surpress it more healthily then accept it, forgive when needed, and heal from it.

Also, a counceler helped me more than anything else.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by BabyBecka View Post
I feel anxious at night when I don't drink.
The problem masquerading as the solution.

Alcohol causes more anxiety than it relieves. Take 90 days off and see if you still feel anxious when you don't drink.

Welcome to SR. Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BabyBecka.

We're strong together - glad to have you join us!

D
Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BabyBecka!!