Notices

Reading the Big Book

Old 12-27-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading the Big Book

I've been opposed to AA, but have decided to give The Big Book a go because, quite frankly what have I got to lose? I must admit to being shocked at how much of it seems hauntingly familiar. I'm not ready to go to meetings yet (if at all), but reading this is already proving to be productive.
The whole idea of a higher power put me off, but I'm beginning to see that is quite possibly my ego talking, the same ego that keeps telling me I can do/say/drink what I want.

I've also decided to do some volunteer work at a local mental health charity, which I'm starting tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but I have read the Big Book. I try to get something from every book that I read. I'm glad you're working on your recovery.

I can't express how much volunteer work helped me. I don't think I would have gotten through the early days/weeks/months without it, and it was something I continued for many years until I moved away. I will always continue to do volunteer work and have it be a part of my life.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Jimmy I think you have a great attitude in your approach to AA . I was not nearly as open minded. I was an avout athiest/agnostic when I came to AA. It took a clever long time member to get me to look at the idea of a "higher power" with any degree of objectivity at all.

Many in AA have Group Of Drunks as their higher power. Many of us have also had an understanding of a higher power that has evolved over time . You will probably appreciate the appendix in the back of the book called "Spiritual Experience".

All the best to you.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in AA and I think it helps to have someone take you through the book. I was not able to understand much of it on my own. All the nuances and archaic language...plus I was so scrambled eggs. Seriously my nervous system was shot to sh1t when I walked into the halls. But good for you on being open minded enough to read it!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've found reading to be very beneficial as well. I think many of us are off put by AA at first, but I've listened to hours of AA speakers and it really does resonate that there are countless people out there that had experienced the same things, and had the same feelings, until they made the changes needed to find their sobriety.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

"I earnestly advise every alcoholic to read this book through, and though perhaps he came to scoff, he may remain to pray."

From the Doctors Opinion
Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I will reiterate what was generally said above, it's best to go through the book with a sponsor who has worked the steps. Better yet your sponsor and a book study group is a great way to go through it. This will allow you to ask questions and get some "insider tips" from those who have used the Big Book and the program of AA to turn their lives around. The Big Book does go along with the program. One without the other will probably not give you the freedom from that alcoholic obsession you so badly desire.

That said, it's great that you are willing to read the Big Book since you aren't a fan of AA. I hope the Book opens your eyes to things and will give you the strength to work the program with a sponsor and make your life great!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's great Jimmy
Old 12-28-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great. If you're getting a lot out of that but aren't ready to go to meetings, you might enjoy listening to some of the speakers online. This is the site I download them from... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I found it amazing that a book published 28 years before I was born described me pretty good.
had a great solution,too.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also, when I read it I was like "How do they know? How do they know? Oh my GAWD how do they know me?" I thought it was a set up hahaha.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
That's great. If you're getting a lot out of that but aren't ready to go to meetings, you might enjoy listening to some of the speakers online. This is the site I download them from... 5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!
Awesome, thanks. I'll have a listen.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a question about some things I read in the Big Book, about alcoholics drinking to quiet their nerves etc. This is something I don't do. I feel shockingly nervous, anxious, shaky etc the morning(s) after, but I don't drink. I usually stay in bed if I can while the whole thing has passed, usually no more than 24/48 hours. Are these withdrawals?? Whatever they are, they're getting worse.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not sure if they're withdrawals. Sounds what me and my old drinking buddies used to call 'the fear'. I always thought all Mondays and Tuesdays were doom ridden and spent on tenterhooks. Apparently not. They're just fine nowadays. I just had The Fear after 2.5 days hard drinking.

One thing worth remembering when reading the Big Book (and the same at meetings) is, we get more out of it when we focus on the similarities rather than the differences ). A lot of the time I could hear or read snippets and think 'well, I don't do that', but if I'd carried on, that's probably where I was headed, so 'I don't do that YET' probably would've been more accurate. I managed to drag my sorry arse into work despite how I felt. That doesn't mean I was doing well. It was rubbish to spend 30% (ish) of my life, feeling that way. What a waste.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I always feel bad for people who think you have to believe in God to get anything out of AA. It's simply not true. All you need is the willingness to believe in a power greater than yourself. You don't even have to believe. Just be willing to believe and let the rest happen on its own.