Notices

Conquering the Liquid devil

Old 12-27-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conquering the Liquid devil

Hi,

After being sober for 3 months I relapsed on Halloween (with no explanation it just happened) Since then, I have been right back it like I never stopped. So, with that being said. I have a question did you get angry, take it one day at a time (what I did) think of getting sober as life time change when you quit.

I have quit cocaine, smoked weed and cigarettes but, the liquid devil is a hard one for me or, maybe because it's the last vice ?

looking forward to hearing your responses.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I dunno. Seems like when I read history, things like alcohol and gambling stand out as always having been a problem. They're hard things to quit.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle644 View Post
So, with that being said. I have a question did you get angry, take it one day at a time (what I did) think of getting sober as life time change when you quit.
I have a book, Anne M. Fletcher's Sober for Good, that speaks to this. One of the great things about this book is that it covers such a broad range of people and recovery experiences. It's based on the input of many dozens of "masters," or people with at least five years of sobriety, and on the question of "quitting forever" vs. "one day at a time," not surprisingly, it varied from one person to the next.

Some people found it easier to stay stopped one day at a time, others felt that making that lifetime commitment was necessary for them.

I hope I understood your question.

Whichever way is right for you, we hope you stick around.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Having a plan. Replacing the alcoholic behavior with positive behavior is what has worked for me. Just saying "I'm not going to drink." only works for so long. I take it one day at a time - but it's forever.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't plan on becoming a regular drinker again, I know where that road leads me. But I have sworn off the stuff and relapsed enough times that it's hurtful to me to say am done forever. Despite my good intentions, I don't like to lie to myself. It's like swearing I'll never gain that hard fought ten pounds again. What I can do is take it one day at a time and do my best to never make it a habit again.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It helps to have a plan. Picking up again, alas, doesn't just happen. We think about it, then we do it. As to how you think about the road ahead, well, whatever works. I could not wrap my mind around not drinking ever again, so I didn't think in those terms. I was a true "one day at a time" person. One day became two became 7, and so on. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle644 View Post
Hi,

After being sober for 3 months I relapsed on Halloween (with no explanation it just happened) Since then, I have been right back it like I never stopped. So, with that being said. I have a question did you get angry, take it one day at a time (what I did) think of getting sober as life time change when you quit.

I have quit cocaine, smoked weed and cigarettes but, the liquid devil is a hard one for me or, maybe because it's the last vice ?

looking forward to hearing your responses.
Hi Michelle
Keep talking here with us when you are tempted log on....... tell yourself it's a lifetime change don't give yourself that wiggle room....if your like me that doesn't work.
Michelle it's not fun anymore we aren't 16 anymore it's time for us to grow up!!!
Love you girl.....you can do this.
SWTPEA
Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

My problem wasn't alcohol. My problem was me. I had to change the way I related to alcohol, because - as an inanimate object - alcohol was not going to change to accommodate me. It was a bad relationship.

My solution was to sever our ties completely. Very happy I did that.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stopped trying to conquer it or fight it. It beat me. I surrendered. I withdrew from that battle and don't let myself forget that alcohol is stronger than me, and always will be. I made that decision not to recommence battle by taking another first drink. That was how just addressed my Alcoholic Drinking.

Then I started to address my Alcoholic Thinking by working a program of recovery. Mine is based on AA meetings, the 12-step program, sponsorship, fellowship, gratitude, acceptance, mindfulness, and trusting my Higher Power to do for me what I can't do for myself. Others will look diffrent. We can devise our plans by drawing on the resources available to us, both online and locally. Dee's thread could be a good place to start... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 12-27-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan based on acceptance is the way forward friend
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I focus on how good I feel being sober. That really helps me. About a month ago, Sam's was offering samples of chardonnay and I thought, well, what's two sips gonna do? I worried about waking up "the monster" that people talk about....or dying...or whatever, so I guess I was tempting fate. But I could feel those two sips and I didn't like it. It nudged the depression I felt during my marriage/drinking days. I realized how much better I felt being clear-headed and energized. I don't see it as much as a struggle as a choice, if that makes sense.