Notices

I closed my Facebook...

Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I only log in here and there, most everything on there is nothing but nonsense I could care less about. I didn't log in for over a month a couple times and didn't miss anything.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I meant that some what jokingly. I made a decision long ago that social media was something I would avoid.
Oh right, I thought that was unusual 😀
Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I took a different approach with Facebook. I deleted my account. I didn't miss any of the people, but what I did miss is using it for personal reasons. For example, I like the feature that tracks all the book I've read. I also like to use YouTube for cooking, music and whatever else I find that is inspiring, heart-warming or fascinating to me, so FB is a great place to post those types of things along with personal notes such as changes I made to the recipe, what I thought about the food, how the music made me feel, etc.

What I did is created a new FB account using a Chinese name with a fictitious history. I recreated my book library, and have a growing collection of eclectic videos along with my personal commentary. I have no online friends, and that's perfect. There's no way anyone could ever know it's me, so I leave my profile public.

It's actually quite fun to have an alter ego and have completely free reign to create a virtual existence posting and saying exactly what I want without having to worry about an audience. It's also really nice to have a lot of stuff pulled together in one place. And the best part is that I don't have to deal with people and all their likes, dislikes and opinions. It's just for me.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah, FB and other social media has popped up a bit lately on the boards. And, as EndGame observed, there's more and more research being done with findings published on mainstream media etc. It's having a very problematic effect over time for a lot of people.

Personally, I deleted my account several years ago. Don't belong to Twitter or anything else. My sole social media, if you like, is by using here and occasional commenting on major news sites articles. And very few of those, as well.

I've had to re-train my nearest and dearest few to please send me any nice photos via email (the way we used to) or by mms. I'm also actually reverting back to asking people to WRITE me an email - not the same as a proper letter for obvious reasons - but a million times better than great chains of texts, or some hurried asinine half-sentence. Few, of course, actually comply :-) but I long ago gave up feeling tied / tethered to the mobile phone etc. I control my technology, it doesn't control me.

And I can tell you: further withdrawing from the pressures of instant communications of all sorts hasn't made me at all popular. Several have become really peeved. Which in itself is a glaring summation of how ridiculous it's all become.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I rarely post much myself but I do a ton of reading on FB as I belong to many groups (on soap making and crafting and cake decorating etc). There is a lot of info on any given subject and many are closed groups that are moderated. I also have a business page where I promote my small hobby/business and that has been super helpful in driving traffic to my website.

I don't think FB is an altogether awful thing, if you learn to use the tools properly and set viewing settings that give you the kind of experience you want. There are so many more filters for viewing than ever before.

That said, I get wanting to get away from it too. Too much social anything is draining for me at times, so I take long breaks.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Quite, soberlicious.

Yes, I've often thought - oh, maybe I'll sign up again to FB for that very reason: i.e groups based on a particular interest or set of activities (e.g. I notice I rarely hear about various social justice activist demos and the like, because they're on FB).

And, as you say, with a small business as well - yes, it's helpful for promoting your work.

I agree overall: that to use such spaces with very locked down settings for pragmatic reasons is probably the only reason I'd ever return. But the OP of course is talking about the more fetid swamp interpersonal stuff, which you know. There is quite a difference

Oh, and belated cheers to you and yours, soberlicious, for Christmas and NY :-)
Old 12-26-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I guess I'm the odd man out. I've never had a Facebook account, and never wanted one. I only have a handful of close friends/family, and if I want to get in touch with them, I can call/text/e-mail them anytime I want. I don't need to see what they're having for dinner or what they're doing every moment of their lives. I'm sure nobody really cares what I'm doing all the time, either. I've never felt like I was missing out on anything. I'm not technophobic and am reasonably proficient with a computer. The whole thing just seems like a huge time suck to me.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I live on the other side of the country from my family and college friends so FB is a great way to keep up, and share photos of kids/events. I have also unfollowed anyone/thing that breeds negativity.

If you feel it is having a negative impact on your life, then it is probably best to take a break.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I deactivated my FB account about 4 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made :-)
Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimmyhow View Post
I decided to go off Facebook for good. I think it contributes to my moods and general negative outlook I have at the moment. I think I subconsciously compare my life with others and it makes me miserable. That and it just provides a bigger platform for me to make an ass of myself. Has anyone else had similar thoughts?
Heard of a study the other day that stated, ones who spend a lot of time on sites such as that are usually more irritable and not as happy as those that don't.

I got tired of Facebook way back when and closed my account. Hard keeping up with what everyone's doing. I really don't want to see a picture of your new dog or your old dog. Or you are having bagels and coffee on the boardwalk in Hawaii -- get off your Facebook and enjoy the now moment.

Note -- this site is excluded.

M-Bob
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by bemyself
But the OP of course is talking about the more fetid swamp interpersonal stuff, which you know. There is quite a difference
Yes, you're right. The interpersonal stuff can become quite ridiculous.
Originally Posted by bemyself
Oh, and belated cheers to you and yours, soberlicious, for Christmas and NY :-)
and to you and yours as well xo

Originally Posted by DesertDawg
I guess I'm the odd man out. I've never had a Facebook account, and never wanted one.
Neither of my sisters, nor my mom or dad have ever had a FB account. My Aunt and Uncle don't have one either. That's just off the top of my head...I could pop off lots more with a little thought. I never think it's odd when ppl don't do social media, as there are certainly more than enough compelling reasons not too really. It's def not everyone's cuppa.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I don't think FB is an altogether awful thing, if you learn to use the tools properly and set viewing settings that give you the kind of experience you want. There are so many more filters for viewing than ever before.
Yes.. It makes it very simple for me to connect with my running groups, childrens' school page, and neighborhood page which gives me important info on safety and other happenings. I rarely post, I just get the info I need.
Block feed of those annoying people (you don't necessarily have to unfriendly them). However, I do get sucked in to reading all the posts and other stuff. Even on here-- this amazing and helpful community--- I find myself reading and hours later I'm like &@$! I need to get off my a$$ and play with the kids or run or clean or whatever!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I had a facebook account because I had to for yoga teacher certification. Once completed I closed it. Or I think I did. It wasn't as easy to close as I had hoped. Either way, I could care less about it.

It seems facebook, just as an observation, can be stressful and addicting. Ego driven. But if it's a positive then great. Facebook on....or whatever. I just don't 'get'it. Don't need to. But that's just me.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hide 99% (no exageration) of my 'friends' from my timeline. Only keep my close family.

But, yes, I feel the same way about instagram and snapchat. I've deleted my snapchat as it made me extremely jealous and miss my old drinking days. Sorta contributed to my relapse, but I'm trying to hold myself accountable.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

The only reason I have kept my Facebook account is for the chat function. It's how I chat with friends, although I could switch to texting if I really wanted.

Each time I venture onto actual Facebook it just winds me up. I have absolutely no interest in seeing someone's pile of Christmas presents or their dog. Add the fact that a huge amount of Facebook postings of people's 'perfect' families/partners are completely fake. It's 21st century keeping up with the Jones'. Its certainly not a suprise to read the scientific studies indicating that social media actually makes people more depressed.

Edit - if anyone has watched the show 'Black Mirror', there's a really good season 2 episode about people's obsession with social media. I'd highly recommend it.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I value facebook. And Instagram. And the Internet in general.

But I see how much time, energy and emotion it all consumes. What an addiction the electronic world has become.

I'm not sure it's viable to just drop out altogether.... yet finding 'balance' seems eerily like trying to moderate drinking.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

I'm not sure it's viable to just drop out altogether.... yet finding 'balance' seems eerily like trying to moderate drinking.
I'll put a :-) on that one.
M-Bob
Old 12-27-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I use it for running groups, and positive affirmation groups only. It feeds my soul with positivity. My only 'friend' on the account is my wife!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I deleted mine....best decision I ever made! I love instagram though because I like to share pictures!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

After reading through the replies, I've decided to give it another go. I've kept my original account deleted though and set up a new one, completely anonymous that I can use for the groups.

I can always get rid of it if it seems like I need to.