Notices

The 'I survived Christmas SOBER' club

Old 12-26-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I made it! I drank a lot of coffee and green tea and some sparkling water. I think I replaced alcohol with food this year...time to eat some vegetables. This is my first ever sober Christmas!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Grateful to be part of the Christmas Club and preparing for New Years. Rather than stay up and bring in the New Year, I will go to bed early and will get up before the sun and welcome the first sunrise of 2017 from a snow capped Sierra Nevada mountain with a cup of hot coffee with my faithful 4 legged friend.
Thank you for this post. Mr Floss is talking about taking the smalls into the city to watch the fireworks. I don't fancy it. But this idea is appealing.

ETA: I had a sober Christmas, too. Lots of lime soda water.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I also had a sober Christmas! Not too worried about New Year's Eve, I was sober for it last year, and have been many years in the past so it's not really a trigger for me. But, being surrounded by family on an occasion is a button pusher, but I told my oldest and her husband that I wasn't drinking and my friend already knew and my son, 10, were all that were invited to my home on Christmas Day. So, we did it!!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm happy to join the sober Christmas club! My second sober Christmas after about 25 drunk ones. Woo hoo! I drank about a 12-pack of Sanpelligrino, coffee, tea, and sparkling water. I even bought some fresh fruits and veggies and fired up the juicer on Christmas morning! Anyone have a thread to recommend on "best virgin cocktails"? It's been on my mind to start making some great mixed drinks, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Seems like New Years Eve would be the perfect day to try some new recipes.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I made it. It sucked. Wish the two members of my family that called, wouldn’t have called. Wish other people that didn't call, would have. Wishing has never gotten me anything. Tried to make the best of it anyhow.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Happy to join the club! I went to Target on Christmas eve and was AMAZED at the non-alcoholic beverages available. I got some ginger beer and this really delicious and subtle cucumber drink. I would have those during pre-dinner drink time. At meals I enjoyed sparkling water.
For anyone looking for something interesting, check out Target- they had two brands of non-alcoholic "fancy" drinks- "Sipp" and "DRY" I was tempted by the Lavender flavoured drink but thought it might be too sweet.

Good job everyone!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I survived

I survived Christmas sober, with coffee, ice water, and tea.

I wish I could say it was fun but it really wasn't, it was an in-law thing though and nothing I could control.

Great club! New Year shouldn't be a problem for me but I'll stay tuned!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by gregknight View Post
I made it. It sucked. Wish the two members of my family that called, wouldn’t have called. Wish other people that didn't call, would have. [I]Wishing has never gotten me anything. Tried to make the best of it anyhow[/I].
Couldn't agree more -'well stated. So then the question remains what can I do to take action?!

I reached out to many friends via texts mostly. A simple message of holiday cheer. When it sucks I do something for someone else. This typically gets me out of myself.

Well done on not drinking. It ALL starts with that, certainly.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good job on making it through Christmas and the festivities. If you didn't make it and you are reading this, that means you are still in the fight so don't give up.

New Year's Eve was not a huge problem for me because I didn't go out drinking in the end. Scoffed at the amateur drinkers and their lunatic antics on NYE and St. Patrick's Day. Drinking massive quantities of alcohol and still being able to function is truly not a skill to take pride in but I did for the longest time.

Get support together now. Skip the parties and get togethers if they are too tempting. There will always be another NYE. If you want to stay sober, you will get through it.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm proud I survived Boxing Day sober! At my SO's for Boxing Day and his mom and sisters only yell insults at each other and practically no one else can get a word in. Not a great atmosphere and lots of booze to go around. My SO's sister drinks a lot everyday but she isn't the type to start binging (like me) and letting it ruin her life (like me showing up drunk at the office) and she noticed I wasn't drinking and was pushy about getting me a drink. I just ignored it and stuck to sparkling water.