Notices

New to forum

Old 12-25-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum

Since this is my first post, I thought I should provide a history.

My husband and I where mainly drinking on the weekend until a few years ago. Then we would frequently have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner but anything else. On the weekend we would have a drink containing vodka and wine. Over the last few years this has increased to almost every night having a drink with vodka and maybe a bottle of wine. I started hiding the fact that I was drinking additional wine. My husband found the bottle, he confronted me, and we had a argument. This was 6 weeks ago. My husband continued to have a drink every afternoon when he anger subsided. I have not had a drink until today when he left the vodka bottle on the counter while I was getting dinner ready.

It is only during this late afternoon/early evening time that I want a drink. Later in the evening, I am actually glad I have not even had a drink - I feel better. I am hoping to gain a new perspective on this situation and how others are coping.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery! I think you'll find lots of support here for how to stop drinking and how to live with someone else who drinks. Read around and post often!
Old 12-25-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good move. Keep reading the threads and posting. Welcome. Have a sober- peaceful time.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Emmi,

Welcome.

These answers are based on what i have learned from SR.

If you talk to a Dr. about your drinking, he might diagnose you with alcoholism and prescribe drugs to help you. You may not want that. You may not care. Up to you.

Cutting to the heart of the matter...

imo...alcohol is highly addictive. If a person routinely drinks a few drinks a day, they are addicted.

What is the number?

I vote about 14 drinks a week...or so. If a person binges...more than about 5 drinks in one drinking session....a couple of times a month...they are addicted.

Alcoholic equals alcohol addict. It is a medical term. Something you my not want on life insurance policy questionnaire..job application etc.

...hence the awesome feature of anonymity here at SR.

I typically drank a bottle of hard stuff...about 30 units..in a week. Sometimes I drank more...sometimes less. Sometimes I wouldn't drink for 2 weeks. Sometimes I would drink everyday. It depended on many things.

Because I was a drinker..the potential for overdoing it, dui, domestic issue etc were always there.

I quit about 20 months ago. It was hard for about the first 3 months. Then I started to feel great physically, but still craved around 4 pm. For the first 6 months I dealt with some serious anxiety issues. The booze created them. I needed the booze to quell what it had created. It was the viscous circle of addiction.

Now, I am clean. I crave, but I know I am an addict. It is a life long affliction. It will never go away. There is no going back to occasional drinking for me.

So...in closing here...when you start to want a drink in the evening, that is the crave. When you don't drink...the crave will get worse.

You will have anxiety...and if you give in and drink..you reset the cycle. It gradually gets worse and worse.

Since I quit for good, it is a whole new world. A sober world. Booze no longer afflicts my brain. Booze is no longer damaging my brain. My decisions are based on a normal brain, not a toxic brain.

This is life as God intended.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I started this forum today too Emi123!

I spent the whole day reading, starting a journal, and doing research. This is the healthiest thing that I have done for myself in 3 years. Earlier this afternoon I felt depressed and overwhelmed. Right now I feel happy & proud.

We can do it! We can make our lives better without alcohol :-)
Old 12-25-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 12-25-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is something that is progressive. Often times it slowly creeps up and before you know it, you're deep in the pit of full blown alcoholism.
It sounds like you're noticing the problem and addressing it which is a great first step. Keep going forward with getting the booze out of your lives and things will get better.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Emmi. It's good to have you with us.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Emmi.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Emmi glad you found us
Old 12-26-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Emmi!!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)