Notices

Would you drink if you wete terminal?

Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
No but I do want to thank you for the question.
Agreed, but I do hope that Northeast69 returns to read and reflect on what he initiated. I would never have thought to start this thread, but there is much more to this morbid, hypothetical scenario than meets the eye.

Addicted people are profoundly suggestible to any ideas or schemes that will allow for continued self-intoxication, and this scenario cuts deep -- right to the core of the matter. It is not mere idle speculation.

Fellow SR member Gottalife pointed out to me that Sister Ignatia picked up on this suggestibility long ago. The large number of views and responses that this thread has had so far would seem to corroborate this as well.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Agreed, but I do hope that Northeast69 returns to read and reflect on what he initiated. I would never have thought to start this thread, but there is much more to this morbid, hypothetical scenario than meets the eye.

Addicted people are profoundly suggestible to any ideas or schemes that will allow for continued self-intoxication, and this scenario cuts deep -- right to the core of the matter. It is not mere idle speculation.

Fellow SR member Gottalife pointed out to me that Sister Ignatia picked up on this suggestibility long ago. The large number of views and responses that this thread has had so far would seem to corroborate this as well.
So, I'm I hoping I get a terminal diagnosis, so I can start drinking again?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
So, I'm I hoping I get a terminal diagnosis, so I can start drinking again?
I don't think that's what is being said.
more that an alcoholic can find any excuse to continue to drink.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
after the first round of chemo I went through( which was after 2 surgeries and a clinical trial) and while I was gaining my strength back, I was outside after a meeting talkin to a friend. he was askin me how I was doing- how I was really doing.
talked a bit, then he said," you don't realize youre a miracle."
that threw me off guard and I think my expression showed it, so he went on to explain:'ive been sober over 20 years. been to a LOT of meetings and have witnessed many people get a diagnosis not even close to what you have had to hear and said, **** it" and drank."

I still don't get how a drink could help.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I get it, tomsteve, I was being a bit of a smartass. But, if the original post triggers someone to start drinking, well... they should stay away from this site, or anything that says, mentions, alludes to... alcohol.

Alcohol is pervasive, in this world - it's everywhere.

And, even here, what may be a trigger to me, may help keep someone else stay sober. Hell, one of the more controversial topics on SR, is the "what's the dumbest thing you did while drinking..." When I first stopped drinking, I found comfort in those threads, while others reported them to the mods!!!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Wouldn't drink but, I would move to New Mexico and manufacture blue meth,later becoming a kingpin.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Each day is your life. Like it or not we're all going to die anyway; it's all a question of time. If it's not worthwhile being sober for your final few months then what's the point in being sober for your final 20 years? It can't be right if your only reason to stop drinking is to prolong a life where you're unhappy.
And that's the truth of it. I'm drinking now because my life is miserable, and my life is miserable because I'm drinking.
Now that's a puzzle and a half.
Best to all.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

all of you listen up hard and tight.. Please don't Please don't... for your body will have so much happening to it.. to do that would just harm your shell faster.. and with more pain and with more regrets.. and everyone around you will have to put up with the bad manners bad habits bad temper and the scream of I hate everything and you the most...... my Pop just before he died. did that over did the drinking . well Iam dying why not.... and that last week of sickness and pain and hate to my Mom and sisters... at times my Mom misses him very much.. and then she remembers the screaming nasty body that laided there and hated everything and every one... and then she is glad he went the way he did.. and now she has peace... 2 sides of the coin.. me I want someone to say. she was so nice right up to the end... prayers on a better tomorrow..
Old 12-30-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by taplow View Post
Each day is your life. Like it or not we're all going to die anyway; it's all a question of time. If it's not worthwhile being sober for your final few months then what's the point in being sober for your final 20 years? It can't be right if your only reason to stop drinking is to prolong a life where you're unhappy.
And that's the truth of it. I'm drinking now because my life is miserable, and my life is miserable because I'm drinking.
Now that's a puzzle and a half.
Best to all.
(((taplow)))

so much truth in your post. I hope you can find your way to a sober life and out of your misery.

your signature line really sums up your post.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

No.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

This place can change lives...there's tons of support here taplow- why not use it?

D
Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Many years ago I was new to AA. A beautiful young woman of about six months sobriety was diagnosed with a terminal illness. She joined the Salvation Army and gave her remaining time to those in need. I remember the last time I saw her, looking really smart in her new uniform. What an inspiration!

My entire line of sponsorship all died sober. My sponsor from a terminal illness. He gave his last years to troubled young people in our justice system. I spent time with him on his last day. The last thing on his mind was drinking. It never came up. He was much more concerned that everyone helping him knew how grateful he was. Another great inspiration.

That is how I would like to go, rather than as an undignified drunk.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

When I first joined SR, I was quite active in the chatroom meetings on Tuesdays and Fridays. There was a lovely woman there who, shortly thereafter, was diagnosed with cancer. She declined very quickly and died within six months.

She stayed sober to the end. I took great inspiration from the example she set. It was, as Gottalife notes, dignified. And solely on her terms.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Great thread! If these replies haven't changed your mind, I don't think anything will. But I am so glad you posted that. I really needed to read all the responses.