Notices

Christmas Day Journal & first steps

Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 3

Day 3-

Beautiful day in LA! Went for a run. Woke up pretty rested- had a really hard time with cravings last night as I was at home alone & that's when I really struggle. House was free of booze which definitely helped (excepting some unopened un-aged white whiskey which I got my boyfriend as an Age-Your-Own kit last Christmas... but that seems like it would be pretty gross & is not hard for me to stay away from) Went to bed early more as a coping mechanism than to be healthy.

Went to the grocery to get some vitamins & magnesium supplements as I've heard these help with recovery. Going hard on the herbal tea with lemon, coconut water, and La Croix. Having something in my hand to sip helps.

Trying to be mindful of HALT triggers... need to get some food in me.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

HALTS(ad)- so simple and important. Remind myself every time I feel out of kilter.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I should also add a B to that list for Bored... I realize that one of my triggers is being home alone with nothing to do.

Hope to start working on replacing my default behavior of drinking during that time with more healthy & productive things that will actually bring value to my life rather than hangovers.

Have started with a big to-do list to keep me busy this evening.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You've got some great strategies here K! So good to see you continue on the sober train. You mentioned being bored. That was one of the things I noticed when I stopped drinking - you suddenly have all this free time. You said you really enjoyed painting but hadn't been doing it anymore - maybe start that up when you're feeling bored.
Get back into running and run when you're bored or want to drink. I also joined a gym and got back into yoga to fill up my free time. I had a schedule of when I would go and my days suddenly got really filled up and left no time for drinking - and by the time I got home I was so tired I just wanted to relax in bed and read and not drink. Try something new - it's scary but why not?! Gotta fill that free time with something right??

Also, you mentioned tea drinking - I drank so much herbal tea during my first months of sobriety and still drink a lot of tea. When you want to drink make yourself a cup of herbal tea - it's so nice to have something to sip on.

Keep up the good work! ✊🏼
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations on that marathon- and your decision to live alcohol free! Any thoughts of a marathon in 2017?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm signed up for 2 half marathons this next year! Also considering committing to another full in the spring... sometimes it depends on my work schedule. Hard to get those 20 mile training runs in if you are working on weekends. Do you guys ever split up mileage? Run in the morning & also run in the evening?

Also I painted the today... trying to keep it pretty simple & stress-free. Watercolors & a small sketchbook feels nice. If it doesn't turn out well it doesn't feel like a big deal... just like journaling.

Thanks for the support Leasha24 & Ultramarathoner! Really appreciate the posts!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats on choosing sobriety, K!

You won't be sorry.

As noted, alcoholism is a progressive disease. When you start again you're right back to where you left off.

Most alcoholics only talk of their plans for the future. Make yours happen. Stay on track.

Use every modality you can to stay sober. Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful.

Distraction, Discipline and Determination will help you achieve your goals.

As far as AA goes, Many people choose the Group as their Higher Power. Good Orderly Direction. Take what you want and leave the rest. As long as you know there is something grander out there than us, is all that matters. There are too, many other tools that will help you stay sober. Avail yourself to as many as you can.

Wishing you the best on a new life filled with possibilities! Welcome to SR, K!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I canceled my races for last year- but will be training for a 50k in October of 2017.

I typically don't split mileage- I just get up super early on Saterdays for my long runs. I've read that splitting mileage works and would do so if working weekends. Yet, I'm a novice at this stuff so I'm not the guy to ask.

Focusing on your races and training this year is definitely a way to stay focused on the right stuff.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yay so glad to hear you're signed up for a couple races. That's exactly what I did last year was sign up for a race so I would have to be committed to training and not drinking. I've heard of people splitting mileage before but it is best if you can get in the whole long run at once to prepare your body for the race. Long runs don't have to be on the weekend if you work weekends or have a varying work schedule. I would say just get in one long run a week when you can.

I get in my runs whenever I can meaning if I have to get up early and run at 4 or 5 am I will ... and the other night I couldn't run until 730 pm and didn't get done until 9. Just gotta do it!!!

And good to hear you're painting and keeping it simple and stress free. That's what is supposed to be! Just enjoy it and get that passion back. It will come.