Old 12-25-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's often best to not go home again.

Family Estrangement at the Holidays
Old 12-25-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you for the article, EndGame

I think this line should be put on commercials along with other holidays specials:

Keep Your Good Intentions to Yourself

“You would never tell an abuse victim — like an abused spouse in a domestic violence case — that they should give their spouse another chance. But in a lot of cases, that is what people do with those who they know are estranged and they don’ t have any understanding of the situation,”

‘We don’t want to be reconciled, and I don’t want to tell you why I’m estranged.’
Old 12-25-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks EndGame & happy christmas brother
Old 12-25-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you EndGame for much cud to chew this past year on our furious earth. . .

“Child, child, have patience and belief, for life is many days, and each present hour will pass away. Son, son, you have been mad and drunken, furious and wild, filled with hatred and despair, and all the dark confusions of the soul - but so have we. You found the earth too great for your one life, you found your brain and sinew smaller than the hunger and desire that fed on them - but it has been this way with all men. You have stumbled on in darkness, you have been pulled in opposite directions, you have faltered, you have missed the way, but, child, this is the chronicle of the earth. And now, because you have known madness and despair, and because you will grow desperate again before you come to evening, we who have stormed the ramparts of the furious earth and been hurled back, we who have been maddened by the unknowable and bitter mystery of love, we who have hungered after fame and savored all of life, the tumult, pain, and frenzy, and now sit quietly by our windows watching all that henceforth never more shall touch us - we call upon you to take heart, for we can swear to you that these things pass.”
― Thomas Wolfe, You Can't Go Home Again
Old 12-25-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One more from this amazing book . . .

"Some things will never change. Some things will always be the same. Lean down your ear upon the earth and listen.

The voice of forest water in the night, a woman's laughter in the dark, the clean, hard rattle of raked gravel, the cricketing stitch of midday in hot meadows, the delicate web of children's voices in bright air--these things will never change.

The glitter of sunlight on roughened water, the glory of the stars, the innocence of morning, the smell of the sea in harbors, the feathery blur and smoky buddings of young boughs, and something there that comes and goes and never can be captured, the thorn of spring, the sharp and tongueless cry--these things will always be the same.

All things belonging to the earth will never change--the leaf, the blade, the flower, the wind that cries and sleeps and wakes again, the trees whose stiff arms clash and tremble in the dark, and the dust of lovers long since buried in the earth--all things proceeding from the earth to seasons, all things that lapse and change and come again upon the earth--these things will always be the same, for they come up from the earth that never changes, they go back into the earth that lasts forever. Only the earth endures, but it endures forever.

The tarantula, the adder, and the asp will also never change. Pain and death will always be the same. But under the pavements trembling like a pulse, under the buildings trembling like a cry, under the waste of time, under the hoof of the beast above the broken bones of cities, there will be something growing like a flower, something bursting from the earth again, forever deathless, faithful, coming into life again like April.”
― Thomas Wolfe, You Can't Go Home Again
Old 12-25-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have some family members who have stopped speaking to others due to how they voted in this election. One group chose not to come to Christmas dinner today. I support their views, and understand their reasons, but it makes me sad. The other group did come to dinner, and brought it up once saying that they were not on the good side of the other family anymore, and were sad about it.

I love all of them, and am trying to remain neutral, in hopes that with time this will change.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks EndGame. In these situations it's easy to feel like you're the only one effected, but estrangement is rather common and this article helps bring it out in the open which is so much healthier than burying it away. Best wishes to anyone struggling with it, and I'm sure this article will be of some comfort to them.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great share EndGame!!