Notices

On the train home for Christmas

Old 12-23-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the train home for Christmas

Luckily my car went to the lot before my drinking became disordered. So I've never had the opportunity to drink and drive. I'm so grateful for that because I know in those blackout states I might have tried to. So I am grateful for that and that I'll be sober when we purchase our first car together.

Anyway, I had a ritual of always ordering two mini bottles of wine and the cheese plate when the cart cake by on the train for a 2.5 hour ride. Luckily I'm both in the middle of day rehab and intensive counselling (a step I never took before) and on Antabuse, so my ritual either by choice or not (hard to tell when on Antabuse) is a tea ritual. Nice bag of tea, steeped properly and slowly, to soothe my throats and the edges of my head cold.

Hunger and a clear head when I get home instead of anxiety over whether my parents suspects I've got a buzz. You'd think I was 17 not 35. Sigh.

I had a neocitran last night for my head cold and realized I liked it, so I threw the rest out. Amazing how we look for substitutes without even realizing it. I knew I'd go back for more of that "fatigue induced drowsy feeling" even without the symptoms of a cold another time. Now that reallly made me think about addiction/anxiety and mood altering substance use... I can see patterns of unhealthy use of food and drugs in my 20s before settling on my doc of alcohol... I think it's good to see this pattern to reinforce how strong my physical and psychological addiction is.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy the train travel and your Xmas

D
Old 12-23-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Enjoy the train travel and your Xmas

D
Thanks - the train is great. And so to will the holidays be as I work towards sustaining sobriety. Please! Not please?
Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds like a lovely way to spend a few hours...I'm a little jealous!

A nice cup of tea on a winter's night is one of the world's great pleasures...no calories, no hangover, just comfort in a cup.

Enjoy your holidays!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
It sounds like a lovely way to spend a few hours...I'm a little jealous!

A nice cup of tea on a winter's night is one of the world's great pleasures...no calories, no hangover, just comfort in a cup.

Enjoy your holidays!
I truly love drinking tea now and feeling the warmth and comfort and flavour fill me. As a booze hound before I never "got it" but now it's a true pleasure

Peppermint tea with a piece of chocolate is just incredible too!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tea was one of my great discoveries also Water!!
Old 12-24-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have good clarity now. I hope you enjoy your Christmas.