Notices

1 day sober, feeling like chit

Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 day sober, feeling like chit

I would go through a big Svedka or the big Absolut every 2 days. Start at 6 in the morning and have about 4 drinks until leaving for work at 7. I would then drink a water bottle of vodka throughout the day, just to have the buzz going. After work, first thing I would do was make another drink and continue until I got really hungry or passed out.

Only reason I drank in the morning because I hated the hungover feeling from the night before, the nightsweats, and dry-heaving

Decided to go see a doctor yesterday and he put me on Valium. Spent all day today sweating in bed, anxious, shaking and dry-heaving. The shakes are pretty much done, but I still have no appetite, and can't stop dry-heaving. Feel week and tired. I know about the shakes and sweating, but dry-heaving?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone experiences withdrawal differently - there;s a pretty wide spread of 'normal'.

If you're concerned, or if think the dry-heaving might be from the Valium its best to consult your Dr

Hope you feel better soon,
D
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being sick is a common withdrawal symptom, and if you've lost your appetite then you probably don't have anything left to bring up.

If you feel that you're in danger then get some medical attention.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello,

Glad you are here, and that you went to see your doctor yesterday. The first few days are the hardest, but it really does get better with time. Did the doctor recommend rehab, or instensive out patient?

SR is also a great support, I read and post here daily. You should join the December 2016 class, and also check in on the 24 hour thread, you will find lots of support on both, and it will help you stay focused on your recovery.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NJPump -- Good on you for getting some medical supervision before just quitting cold turkey. That was a great move. My drinking pattern was very similar to yours, and I went through bad withdrawals several times until finally I said 'enough is enough', so I've been there and have a good idea of what you're going through. You know things aren't right when simply brushing your teeth stimulates your gag reflex.

Stay strong, it'll get better. Then the real work starts -- to STAY sober -- but at least you won't feel like death. The fear of going through that horror show again is one of the things that has helped me stay sober. The way you've felt the last day or so -- I keep that memory fresh in my head, and think long and hard about it every time I even remotely consider having a drink.

Hang in there, friend, you can do this!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NJ - Yes, I went through all of those things. I was drinking every day when I finally quit - it was awful the first few days. Things got so much better though - and rather quickly. Once it's out of your system you can begin to heal and have hope again. I'm glad you're here with us.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey NJ, hate to hear what you're going through, but yeah I experienced all that when I ended my heavy drinking in 2014. Shakes, brain zaps, feeling sicker than a dog with nausea, dizziness, extreme anxiety/panic...you name it I had it.

It's good you are working with a doctor through this process. I went cold turkey without medical supervision, which was a mistake as it could've ended up very badly. It also prolonged my suffering by not allowing my over-the-top anxiety and panic to settle down. Had I to do it over again, I'd definitely see a doc.

Benzos such as Valium can be prescribed during the acute withdrawal phase to ease symptoms; sounds like your doc is on top of things.

Be sure to hang out around the SR forum; lots of good people here!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm brand new here, NJ, but I was drawn to your post because I have been where you are, (Way too many times.). I wouldn't wish going through that on anyone. You will get through it though and going to a doctor, valium, very good move.

In my experience, I also completely lose my appetite for several days, and zero sleep for awhile. Hopefully you won't have that bad of time, but face it, it's sh*t.

Again, I am brand new here, but I would try making yourself as comfy as possible, watch dumb TV, sip, not gulp, some water to keep your mouth from getting too dry. Recognize that depression and anxiety are just part of it that will subside. When you can, try some easy to digest protein, just a little, and let it settle.

All my best for you!
Old 12-22-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

hi njpump
Old 12-22-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The alcohol completely destroys your body, and the dry heaving is just it's reaction to trying to get rid of every drop of poison it can. Though it does get better after a couple days, and the withdrawals will pass soon.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on my third day and relate to all you mention, i feel your pain . I had the dry heaving for 2 days but its stopped now . You WILL get better each passing hour .
Old 12-23-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2

Dry heaving is gone. No shakes. No night sweats. Just could't fall asleep last night. Stayed up watching Family Guy and King of Queens until 3 AM. Still no appetite though. But I will be going to the gym later for a little to get things moving and should be able to eat something.

Thanks to everyone for the help and I will keep you posted.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 2 NJ - hang in there, it will get better!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It's good to see you out and going to the gym. Drink some sports drinks that have electrolytes and low sugar to get some nutrition into your depleted body. The carbs will make you feel 100X better. Try eating a banana or protein shake if you like them. Keep us posted!
Old 12-23-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very good to hear, NJ. Just do a little, relax, do a little more. Best thoughts and prayers.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job on day 2 NJ
Old 12-24-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's great NJ, glad you're feeling better.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 2 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!