Notices

I Can't Wait for Detox.... or should I?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Can't Wait for Detox.... or should I?

I am going into detox on Monday. And I cannot wait. As many of you can relate, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Every morning the nausea, exhausted from alcohol sleep, dragging all day. Napping in my car or office. Boozing just to not feel bad; or worse I should say. I so want to feel at least physically normal.

This is no joke. Two years ago, I took 4th place in a fitness competition (40 y/o + class). 6% body fat. 6 pack abs. I started prepping for another show in January and started looking great. And then I gave into stress and booze. And I have fallen apart physically.

I just want to feel physically not sick. The psychological stuff I will deal with. I just hate being a physical, overweight wreck. Doggone it, how did I get here?

So how soon should I start feeling physically better?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is great that you are going to detox on Monday! Are you able to go to any meetings to help you between now and then? Did the doctor suggest anything to help? Is it possible to get into detox today, or sooner than. Onday to start feeling better sooner?

Sending you lots of good thoughts as you start out. As for losing weight, I will have one year sober on January 1st, and I have lost 43 pounds, and I'm back to my healthy weight range. I focused on recovery and making me the best me. You will get there again.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you can get in before Monday and would like to get started earlier by all means go ahead and do it. As far as when you will feel physically better, that really depends on a lot of things. But for most the initial physical withdrawals last anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, and it can take longer for your body to re-adjust. There are of course a lot of things that can help during that time - i'm sure that if you are in a rehab facility they will have lots of ideas for you.

The best thing you can do is to quit drinking though, and the sooner the better of course.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, since I already suggested going today...and that was yesterday...

Can you start a taper right now? Half of what you had yesterday, then tomorrow have half again, etc.

What is the reason in your mind for not going today and getting your prescription today?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, since I already suggested going today...and that was yesterday...

Can you start a taper right now? Half of what you had yesterday, then tomorrow have half again, etc.

What is the reason in your mind for not going today and getting your prescription today?
Christmas. It would ruin the holiday for my family. And I never get sloppy drunk; at least outwardly. So the only person who knows the depths of my drinking is my best friend.

I cannot be going through withdrawals on Christmas Day.

I just want to know how long I can hope to feel well enough to get back in the gym and not nauseous every morning.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started exercising the second day after I quit drinking. It was really good for me. But I agree with Scott, everyone is different.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I started exercising the second day after I quit drinking. It was really good for me. But I agree with Scott, everyone is different.
Between 10-12 oz. of alcohol a day.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

When you do start feeling better come join us

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
When you do start feeling better come join us
I absolutely will.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Horn, it sounds like you are miserable. If you have the option to have someone drive you or hail a ride right now....I'd go. Eff Christmas, it'll come again next year. you gotta get healthy brother.

I'd like to hear more about your fitness competition. I used to compete years ago. Since I quit drinking I started getting healthy again. Its wonderful. I feel like a kid again.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Between 10-12 oz. of alcohol a day.
I jumped right into sobriety and I was drinking that much.

I felt shaky, but I didn't do any kind of medical intervention and I was out exercising two days later.

Try to cut back today. I did a two day taper, then quit. Of course, I didn't know that I could have problems quitting, I just did it. I suppose I could have just been lucky. I didn't have to stay in bed or anything - as a matter of fact, I finally started to feel better. When I did quit completely, that first day was so uncomfortable and my heart rate was so high that I had a half shot of rum. That set me back one day but it worked and I didn't have to do it again.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's admirable you won't 'ruin Christmas' for others by going to detox Horn.

I hope you'll apply the same reasoning to drinking over Xmas

D
Old 12-21-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Horn, just to clarify...

...if by "not waiting" you mean going to your medical detox earlier than you planned -- that's your decision. All thing being equal, I would say that sooner is preferable to later, though I can understand your concern about not wanting to impact Christmas for others if you know for sure that help is on the way soon thereafter.

...If you mean not waiting for *medical* detox to just stop drinking cold turkey without the benefit of medical supervision....you probably know this, but that can be VERY dangerous. But if you can cut down, maybe that would be a happy medium for you.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Hi Horn, just to clarify...

...if by "not waiting" you mean going to your medical detox earlier than you planned -- that's your decision. All thing being equal, I would say that sooner is preferable to later, though I can understand your concern about not wanting to impact Christmas for others if you know for sure that help is on the way soon thereafter.

...If you mean not waiting for *medical* detox to just stop drinking cold turkey without the benefit of medical supervision....you probably know this, but that can be VERY dangerous. But if you can cut down, maybe that would be a happy medium for you.
No, it's real med detox. I have to check in, give up my cell phone and laptop: that will drive me crazy in and of itself! I will have limited computer access, so I will update y'all as I can.

This site has been wonderful in helping me get through this period. The belief I will beat this is the only thing that keeps me going. And every hour is a struggle.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck Horn!

I went to a 30-day rehab after (stupidly) detoxing myself, and yes, I had to give up my phone, wallet, keys, etc. And I had NO computer/internet at all, and only 5 minutes of phone time twice per day. It can be daunting.

You know what, it worked and I productive ways to use my time.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

After a 28 day spent in a rehab I felt much better. Good sleep, food, groups and candy got us through. Admitted -- we put some weight on.

I understand looking forward to detox -- many, many new lives have gotten a jump start there.

Stay in touch.

M-Bob
Old 12-22-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with the others that said start tapering off, you'll avoid withdrawal a bit and be more present for Christmas plus it will make it easier for you on Monday when you do get to detox,don't turn it into one "last hurrah" though by drinking all crazily, that will only make it worse! You're giving yourself the greatest gift by going into detox and getting healthy, here's to a great New Year for you
Old 12-22-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
I agree with the others that said start tapering off, you'll avoid withdrawal a bit and be more present for Christmas plus it will make it easier for you on Monday when you do get to detox,don't turn it into one "last hurrah" though by drinking all crazily, that will only make it worse! You're giving yourself the greatest gift by going into detox and getting healthy, here's to a great New Year for you
Mornings are rough. I just want to be able to go at least 6 hours straight of sleep. I haven't slept normally in months. .
Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mornings are awful in active addiction.

I feel ya.

It gets better when you are sober. So much better. Maybe not right away, but after decades of horrible mornings, I now wake in a positive mood with no anxiety after 8-10 hours of restful sleep. That is mind-blowing to me.

Hang on. Did you cut back yesterday?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, a bit. Nothing past 6 pm, and only 2 1/2 bottles of wine. Sounds absurd, doesn't it?

But sleep was terrible. Got maybe 5-6 hrs. altogether from 10 p to 7 p. Sweating, tossing and turning, racing negative thoughts.

I am a tough guy. Marine Corps infantry. Two graduate degrees from prestigious schools. But this thing is kicking my ass. Every day I ask, "How the fu** did you get here?" But here I am.