Notices

Getting thru the first Christmas sober

Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting thru the first Christmas sober

Well so far so good. I just wanted to check in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas! I've heard the holidays are tough for not drinking. I am beginning to see that! I'm just around the corner of 6 months sober. I have been doing pretty good but am feeling more anxious then normal. When I came to work yesterday I had a 6 pack sitting on my desk from a co worker. I ended up giving it away a few hours later to my sister. I had a vendor dinner last night where lots of alcohol was. I got what looked like a cocktail but wasn't and nursed that all night. Received a bottle of wine from the vendor and gave that away to my sister. It is like wow!! But I just take it one day at a time! And try not to believe the lie of alcohol. I have a sponsor who I have been driving crazy and she wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes Linz, the same has been happening at work for me! Secret Santa gave me liquor scented candles, wine glasses and a bottle of Champagne. Easy enough to give away but wow, in my face! Glad to hear you have a good sponsor, peace to you during this festive time!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sister is sure enjoying me getting sober I know that much! Ha!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it Linz. I just posted that I'm already planning it out. Your in control now. Youve come so far Linz. Stick to your plan and you've done so well. Congrats on almost six months.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Linz- congratulations on six months! That's awesome Christmas shouldn't be a problem for you!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep the Xmas crazies. Good move about removing the 6 pack. Out of sight, out of mind. My first xmas ever without family. Will be living virtually at SR and avoiding every risk in my control of things I can.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Yep the Xmas crazies. Good move about removing the 6 pack. Out of sight, out of mind. My first xmas ever without family. Will be living virtually at SR and avoiding every risk in my control of things I can.
Well I will keep you in my thoughts! I did skip the company Christmas party because no one would have missed me. I like to avoid any risk I can too!
Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillwink View Post
Linz- congratulations on six months! That's awesome Christmas shouldn't be a problem for you!
Thanks Jill! God willing I make it there! I have ten days left but I know I can do it!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The holidays and Christmas are tough especially with the kids home and with 5 all of legal age the drinks flow. The first one was really hard to get through but I will tell you it was the most satisfying for me and it will be for you. I tend to keep busy in the kitchen and find things to do which prevent me from sitting idle too long. One day at a time and you'll be so proud of yourself when you push through! Congrats on 6 months!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months sober!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have every confidence in you Linz - have a great sober Xmas

D
Old 12-20-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

6 months is great and a fabulous base to cross the barriers that xmas puts in front of you - I'm with you on the gifts - been given a lot of wine.

I'm just becoming a great re-gifter
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
Yes Linz, the same has been happening at work for me! Secret Santa gave me liquor scented candles, wine glasses and a bottle of Champagne. Easy enough to give away but wow, in my face! Glad to hear you have a good sponsor, peace to you during this festive time!
I received two bottles of wine as gifts at work. I sent one home with one of my teachers, and one will be brought to my mother in laws for Christmas or NYE. It was nice to have no desire/temptation to drink them.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Linz, I know that it appears like everyone is drinking at this time of year and it can seem relentless...remember we are here.!
The firsts are new and are the hardest....but once you get through the firsts, well, for me, there was an immense sense gratitude.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Linz I hope you check in with us through the holidays & great job on 6 months