Notices

Have to reach out

Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have to reach out

Well, I was going to quit visiting this site as I had felt some negativity that was really discouraging. But that is only a very small percentage of the posts, isn't it? I am not a very rational person. I see a couple of negative things and I just start to spiral. I think years of alcohol abuse may be a contributing factor ...

Anyway I kept lurking in spite of myself because I really need to see stories and conversations from people going through the same thing that I am going through. I feel like if I don't reach out that's not good.

Thanks everyone for the forum, it's so good to have this resource to rely on.

I am on day one again after a horrible bender yesterday
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome back!
Hope you can stay this time.
I have found this place invaluable to my sobriety.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the good words, Spartanman. I appreciate this site, too. I try not to be harsh in my responses, and I hope that I am not. Lots of ESH here, sokeep coming back.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm pretty new here also, I just passed my one month mark. It can be hard dealing with negativity, but I find far more understanding and positivity. When I come across negative posts I simply stop reading and move on. I don't need it.

Please keep posting! Not everyone understands me, but the support I get here is invaluable and I don't know where I would be without it.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks! Yes there is certainly a lot of wisdom on this site. The overwhelming majority of stuff I read here is positive and helpful for sure
Old 12-20-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

glad youre stickin around, spartanman. I agree with this statement:
" I think years of alcohol abuse may be a contributing factor."
negativity became my normal. I had a negative outlook on everything. it could've been a beautiful,sunny awesome day yet I could find something bad about it. it was all in my attitude and outlook, which needed a major overhauling. to get that overhauling I had to hear and read things that weren't very pleasant to read, but true.
i got sober through AA. there was this old fart that would say something that would just peeve me something fierce. after a meeting one day he came up to me smiling( which peeved me) and said, "tom, ya cop a serious attitude often when i say something. any idea why that is?"
"because youre an *******."
"well, yes, i can be, but i think its probably because its true for you,too."
that old fart really helped me see the why's of it all.

when we'd sit down and talk, i was completely amazed how similar our thinking and actions were while drinking yet a 30+ year gap between them.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Spartanman! You will find lots of support on this site. The 24 hour thread is a great positive source of support. Also, if you haven't already joined the December class that is another good support.

Remember, if you feel a thread is negative,just skip over it, there are lots of other threads on SR, read the ones that help you.

Glad you are back!
Old 12-20-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying about the negative comments that you will occasionally get on SR. But like you said, they are few and far between. The vast number of people here are very supportive and really want to help. Glad you decided to stick around. Have a great day!! John
Old 12-20-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suspect that the negative thread you're referring to is one I avoided for just that very reason. But, as you say, most threads and people on here are very positive and supportive, so I keep coming back. I have had to use the ignore facility on here a couple of times over the last few years as well for sanities sake. Just like I have on other social media. Thing is, the support I've recieved on here has made a massive difference to my recovery, so like I life, I take the rough with the smooth and try not to let my expectations trip me up.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spartanman View Post
I am on day one again after a horrible bender yesterday
Spartanman, despite what it may seem like, most everyone here who has a good deal of sobriety under their belt was exactly where you are at one point, and a lot required many, many tries before sobriety finally "took". I certainly did. Sort of like, (to paraphrase Seinfeld) trying to tip over a vending machine, it has to rock back and forth a few times, before it finally goes over. That's how it felt when I finally quit, anyway.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Negativity is one of the last words I'd use to describe this place. I find it incredibly positive and inspiring. Of course, this is the internet though, so there will always be one or two things you don't agree with though. Like others have said, I tend to just skip those posts / threads,

All the best for your day 1
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can you get to a meeting tonight there's choice my friend it really will bolster your sobriety

Good job making a day 1
Old 12-20-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are still around Spartanman. As many have mentioned we are all here for the same reason and I'm glad you decided to stay. There will always be negativity around us in life, no matter if it's on an internet forum or in everyday life in person. That's just a function of human nature, not a function of the venue. And also remember that many people are struggling just like you, we all did at some point. Everyone has a bad day now and then and sometimes our comments reflect that.

Hope you can spend some time reading and sharing, you are welcome to say as much or as little as you would like.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR is an invaluable resource so I'm glad you are back.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

keep keepin on

It does get easier(quote) YOU MAY HAVE TO FIGHT A BATTLE MORE THEN ONCE TO WIN IT. 1 +1=2
Old 12-20-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm glad you stuck around.

In any group of human beings, there'll be things we agree with and things we don't. Things we see as positive, things that really rub us wrong.

In any group of people working on sobriety and recovery.... there'll be human beings.

If we can learn to look openly for the things that may help us, suspend our judgement or simply walk away from the things that really don't sit well with us, then we can take away from any interaction with a group of people in recovery something that will benefit our own sobriety.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post. My post might be considered negative but I use to enjoy the Christmas season but now it’s been turned into eeking my way through the days staying in sobriety and boredom. I long for the days that I could go out and have a few drinks with some friends and reminisce of the days of the year. 2016 has been one of the most kickass years of my life!  Positive ; ) but I’m pissed that I have to struggle with cravings like this. I seriously want to just go to bar and hang out and just reminisce about the old days. Meet a stranger and just chat at the bar. Have a few beers and call up some old friends and just catch up. Is that wise? Probably not. Why because one is too many and a 1000 not enough. *uck early sobriety around the holidays suck.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back - I'm glad you reconsidered

D
Old 12-20-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's great Spartan

I know I can learn from most posts. If nothing else I can learn to modulate my own reactions. Nothing can really upset me if I don't let it. Doesn't mean I'm human Teflon but most stuff in life doesn't require an over reaction. And I've found the posts that irritate me the most are the ones I need to really look at. The why of my reaction.