Notices

New here!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR!

Like you, I was able to remain sober during my pregnancies, but found myself slowly start to creep back to drinking every evening. I will have one year sober on January 1st and I can promise you it gets easier, and no matter what life throws at you is easier to deal with sober.

For me it was important to plan out my evenings during the first few weeks, I made plans to go for walks, take my kids to activities, watch a new series on Netflix, read... I n ended to have something specific planned, gradually not drinking became the new normal, and the thought of drinking seldomly pops into my head, and when it does I play the tape through and know I do not want to wake up back to day one.

I also attempted moderation several times, and failed miserably. I spent way too much time thinking about when, how much, and what I could drink, and often just said screw it and found myself polishing off a bottle of wine.

Reading and posting here daily really helps me. I check in on the 24 hour thread, and like seeing how everyone's doing. I also check in with the January 2016 class, we have been there to support each other throughout the year, and it really helps. Have you joined the December 2016 class? If not, you definitely should.

Hang in there when it gets tough, sobriety is so worth it!!

❤️Delilah
Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Sarowyn. I had a boss who knew what was best for me because he was a sociologist. He told me to do moderation drinking. Ann said '...failed miserably'. Yep- that was me. In fact it made me feel worse because I could not moderate and thus believed I was weak. My solution- drink more.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us would agree that we would like to be able to drink once a week and be happy with that.
I gave up on that idea a while ago when I realised that it took about a week for my moderated drinking to turn into 1/2 bottles a night, and that was if I was lucky.
It is easier to not drink at all. When I first stopped, I would find myself salivating if I was around wine. That's gone now, but I know that even with over 2 months under my belt, it'll only take one drink to slip down that slope again.