Notices

Two weeks today and dispondent

Old 12-17-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks today and dispondent

Well im on day 14 today and my mood swings are worse than my wifes and thats saying something.
When I talk to people about my previous sobriety of five and a half months i tell them how wonderful it was, how i was starting to get my life back and how a lot of medical probs stopped. But now im thinking maybe i was just romanticising the notion of sobriety or maybe ive just forgotten how hard the early days are.
I feel angry, restless and stangely feel hard done by that i am choosing not to drink. Even with my family around me i feel isolated and alone.
I just want to hide away and not be found.
Anyway rant over and time to spend the next 4 hrs trying to go to sleep!
Old 12-17-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep going. The crud will dissipate.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

14 days is great!
Old 12-17-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pj is right. The bs in your brain will slowly go away. Just hang in there.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think you were romanticising Jtmlk.

I noticed that when I relapsed at 8 months my recovery has been harder this time around. I don't feel hard done by one bit as really want sobriety, but the mental and physical demands have been greater this time. It will pass Jtmlk.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HI Jtmk, I'm at 16 days and experience some of the same feelings... mentally and emotionally restless...doing my best to put my hands up and enjoy the ride, or put them down and nap. Whatever it takes, right? And I don't think you were romanticising at all. Sobriety is so worth the effort and temporary mood swings. Keep at it!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that every time was different - harder like people said. Don't lose faith tho - it will get better I promise

D
Old 12-17-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi there . 2 weeks for me today too. I am feeling a bit restless and shortchanged too as it happens but that is because I have a bug that I can't shake off which makes me feel somewhat hungover! It is really making me impatient. But I have stopped for 6 weeks and 12 weeks before and I do know it settles down, that health improves and that thinking lifts. You can set the conditions for good health but you can't get it on demand (psychological or physical). I am trying to think of it as gardening and that I am still in the phase of clearing the weeds properly before anything can really grow. At least that is an idea that works for me. I wish you well. 2 weeks is great. 5 months shows you can really do it and I am SURE that much of the good stuff you remember is real and accurate and will come again.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there. The days will start to build agai, and you will start to feel. Enter.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It definitely gets better JT and you know that but you have to ride out these rough feelings no matter what mate.

When I quit I'd had a month prior to my last bender that had been drink and drug free due to fitness and was on top of the world - the place I therefore found myself after the last bender seemed like a living hell at times but all I can say to you is as long as you stick with it and make those changes / work at your plan then things will improve.

It all seems so daunting to make those changes, I mean the real changes to our lives and the lifestyle that we have become accustomed to for many years but until we realise that it really is necessary then the pressures are never going to go away.

You more than likely need to make a break from what was your drinking life and start thinking about what makes you tick away from the pub and around the lads - to make this work as hard as it has been I had to turn my back on the old life and all my drinking mates otherwise it would have been torture, it's been tough to do at times and the why me has definitely been at the forefront of thoughts many times, it's tough to accept but 100 % necessary and in all honesty the best move I've ever made bar none- watching everyone else do the drinking is only going to make this all the more difficult to get your head around.

We all want to help you and succeed with this mate but remember nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick with it Jtlmk hope you got some sleep
Old 12-18-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone your thoughs are much appreciated
Old 12-18-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

we tend to underestimate the power of DETOX. it doesn't just affect us physically, but emotionally and mentally as well. and while it's not exactly a fun time, it is important.......and it will pass.

a few years ago i did an elimination diet with a naturopath. basically think of every food you ever loved and then don't eat it!!! it wasn't too bad at first, but about two weeks in, i was home one day, alone thankfully, and i went into a RAGE. i mean i was mad at my coffee table! i don't know why, it just p!ssed me off. EVERYTHING p!ssed me off....i stomped around the house, yelling, scaring the hell out of the dogs, who chose to go sit in the driveway.

i also got seriously emotional. weepy, sad, the whole nine yards.

and that was just from food.

but ya know what? i got thru it. that "phase" passed, and no coffee tables were harmed!

so you just hang in there. go for walks, go take a pillow and beat the snot out of a tree. cry. whatever it takes. just don't drink. it will get better!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hang in there - you know deep inside that it gets better, once you get through the crappy part.
I know my emotions were all over the place early on.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Well im on day 14 today and my mood swings are worse than my wifes and thats saying something.
When I talk to people about my previous sobriety of five and a half months i tell them how wonderful it was, how i was starting to get my life back and how a lot of medical probs stopped. But now im thinking maybe i was just romanticising the notion of sobriety or maybe ive just forgotten how hard the early days are.
I feel angry, restless and stangely feel hard done by that i am choosing not to drink. Even with my family around me i feel isolated and alone.
I just want to hide away and not be found.
Anyway rant over and time to spend the next 4 hrs trying to go to sleep!
Jt
Your not alone.......remember take one day at a time and before you know it 46 days under your belt.
Keep posting 😊
Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 14!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there man, it will slowly get better. Your brain is having to readjust at a neurochemical level and this takes time. Alcohol affects several neurotransmitters, notably enhancing GABA which is the one that calms your nervous system down. When the alcohol is removed, GABA can plummet leaving your nerves feeling frazzled as they are easily excitable. How's your sleep? It's very important to be able to sleep during the post-acute phase as that helps speed recovery!

You're doing great at 14 days!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone, plure my sleep is awful at moment - normally fall asleep at 4-5am and sleep till whenever. On a positive side with your help i havent drunk anything today and have applied for three jobs. On the negative side being rather stupid and already drowning in debt I thought it would be a good idea to purchase an apple watch 2 with warranty for an eye watering £458.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

This is why willpower doesn't work, which requires that we continually deny ourselves of that which we very much want, no matter what the personal cost. Something more than putting down the drink is needed.