Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

45 days sober and I could sleep around the clock is this normal?

Notices

Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone that's been sober a long time......
Just wanted some feedback on how im feeling.
Im sleeping better than I have in many years im not tossing and turning anymore and im sleeping through the entire night......not getting up to guzzle water at 2 am anymore, but im finding it harder to get up for work in the morning and im tired not physically but mentally and im drinking alot more coffee. Im ordering a large mocchiotto at DD. it feels like my brain is tired.....any thoughts?
Old 12-17-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ride it out for now.
Plenty of sleep is good first few months.
I took naps most every day for 3 or 4 months.
Your working -- good thing.
Staying sober -- main thing.
Congratulations on your 45 days sober.
MM
Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey pea,
Sounds like your doing great. I'm approaching six months and I to sleep more. I believe my body is repairing itself as well as trying to find my new normal. I know one thing a little extra sleep is exactly what you need if it keeps you sober. I will say that things are still changing for me for the good. Give it some more time and you to will find your "new" normal.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How is your food? Are you getting a good mix of protein, vegetables and fruits and healthy fats?

Food is the fuel.

I cut way back on caffeine in the first six months of sobriety because mornings were so anxiety laden for me. I went to half caf and only one cup. Now I'm back to two cups of espresso (regular) per day, but it took six months or more.

Sleep was all over the place for me for the first few months, too. I figured I was healing from a life-threatening illness and I slept as much as I could.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
How is your food? Are you getting a good mix of protein, vegetables and fruits and healthy fats?

Food is the fuel.

I cut way back on caffeine in the first six months of sobriety because mornings were so anxiety laden for me. I went to half caf and only one cup. Now I'm back to two cups of espresso (regular) per day, but it took six months or more.

Sleep was all over the place for me for the first few months, too. I figured I was healing from a life-threatening illness and I slept as much as I could.
Hi biminiblue
Eating is better..... i wasn't eating as well when drinking my gastrointestinal was bad....diarrhea every day along with stomach aches everyday which went away at night when drinking.
My whole system right now is changing for the better 😊 I can't believe what I put my body through.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
p***enger

Great post SWTPEA & congrats on 45 days!

I agree with Mmbob -- what you're experiencing sounds normal & healthy. Stay hydrated (I'm chronically dehydrated, not good), don't eat crap, take actions every day to stay sober, and sleep as much as you need. Treat yourself as if you were recovering from a very long, severe illness. You are.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Great post SWTPEA & congrats on 45 days!

I agree with Mmbob -- what you're experiencing sounds normal & healthy. Stay hydrated (I'm chronically dehydrated, not good), don't eat crap, take actions every day to stay sober, and sleep as much as you need. Treat yourself as if you were recovering from a very long, severe illness. You are.
Thanks courage
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds familiar to my experience! Fatigue is still a main thing with me- I work a lot and do a lot, and I have to be careful of getting too physically or mentally/emotionally tired.

I slept- including naps- a LOT for the first few months. A lot of things including that need to nap shifted after around 100 days. At almost 10 mo my recent bout with napping has been a side effect of a new med. Otherwise, I have only occasionally needed to (maybe once a week) and sleep well for 8-9 most nights.

Stay sober and keep going! Your body is indeed healing.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today I am 54 days sober after 27 years of daily drinking.

I am always tired. I am also on medications for anxiety and depression. I also have sleep apnea. So I have many factors messing with me.

Hang in there. That is all we can do.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Today I am 54 days sober after 27 years of daily drinking.

I am always tired. I am also on medications for anxiety and depression. I also have sleep apnea. So I have many factors messing with me.

Hang in there. That is all we can do.
Hi Doug
Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

45 days is awesome Im only at 14 days but previously gave up for nearly six months. The first 3 months take a lot out of us as the body gets used to normality. I think at about 3 and a half months i started feeling less tired.
I also found excercising gave me more energy and yoga classes helped me relax.
Well done and look forward to hearing from you soon- just remember to tell yourself that each day you become a little bit more amazing
Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your body and brain are healing. Sleep is part of that. If you are concerned - perhaps see your doc. about it.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 45 days...I was the same for a few months, slept and slept and if it were not for responsibilities and obligations I would have slept some more.
I think I got the long straw in early recovery, the pages of this site are full of people suffering awful insomnia for months on end!
Time took care of the need to sleep so much and normal sleeping patterns have returned for the most part.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Your body and brain are healing. Sleep is part of that. If you are concerned - perhaps see your doc. about it.
Hi PJ
Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
Congratulations on 45 days...I was the same for a few months, slept and slept and if it were not for responsibilities and obligations I would have slept some more.
I think I got the long straw in early recovery, the pages of this site are full of people suffering awful insomnia for months on end!
Time took care of the need to sleep so much and normal sleeping patterns have returned for the most part.
NTTL
Old 12-17-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
45 days isawesome Im only at 14 days but previously gave up for nearly six months. The first 3 months take a lot out of us as the body gets used to normality. I think at about 3 and a half months i started feeling less tired.
I also found excercising gave me more energy and yoga classes helped me relax.
Well done and look forward to hearing from you soon- just remember to tell yourself that each day you become a little bit more amazing
jtmlk
Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Sounds familiar to my experience! Fatigue is still a main thing with me- I work a lot and do a lot, and I have to be careful of getting too physically or mentally/emotionally tired.

I slept- including naps- a LOT for the first few months. A lot of things including that need to nap shifted after around 100 days. At almost 10 mo my recent bout with napping has been a side effect of a new med. Otherwise, I have only occasionally needed to (maybe once a week) and sleep well for 8-9 most nights.

Stay sober and keep going! Your body is indeed healing.
august
Old 12-17-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi SWTPEA. Me too.

My sleep is all over the shop and dreadfully fatigued. Diet is really important, and need to take my own advice. Sometimes too tired to prepare a good meal.

Agree with Courage about hydration and did notice a difference when I made a concerted effort to drink lots of water.

Congrats on 45 days SWTPEA, me 48 days so it looks to be pretty common in these early days. We'll get there.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Hi SWTPEA. Me too.

My sleep is all over the shop and dreadfully fatigued. Diet is really important, and need to take my own advice. Sometimes too tired to prepare a good meal.

Agree with Courage about hydration and did notice a difference when I made a concerted effort to drink lots of water.

Congrats on 45 days SWTPEA, me 48 days so it looks to be pretty common in these early days. We'll get there.
steely
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Swtpea & Congratulations!!

We're all different but at 45 days I suspect your body is still in the healing mode.
I was surprised at how tired I felt at 90 days and after listening to the good advice here, I relaxed and just listened to my body. Still do.
Lots of water, healthy food, rest & exercise will see you through. Plus maybe a Dr. check to rule things out?

You are healing now and that's good -. Take care & see you on the 24-hr. thread!