Notices

When your bad day gets worse...

Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When your bad day gets worse...

Thank you for all your kind messages from my previous post (I can't seen to find it on here!)

My cat was run over, and I realise many people could deal with that. I've not been on here because it 'set me off'.

I have no friends or family (family are dead, and I suffer from social anxiety).

YES, I started drinking AGAIN! The house was very lonely, and I had no one to go to. (I went to AA but didn't help as I was still in 'grief mode'). I just keep crying ALL the time.

I'm going through withdrawal yet again, I went to church tonight (AA) which helped, but I still feel so 'lost'.

I turn to the drink every time
Old 12-16-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

I just lost my dog a few weeks ago too. She wasn't ran over, but she had a severe seizure that left her incapacitated that required my family to make the decision to put her down.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to deal with the loss of a family pet, especially if you are used to depending on them for comfort and companionship.

One thing that has helped me through that situation is meditation and lifting weights. Using the meditation to clear and focus my mind helps remove the lingering feelings of sadness, and the lifting weights gives me something to do besides drinking/thinking about drinking.

Anything that you can to do redirect your sadness and grief will help greatly in overcoming your AV.

Hope this helps, and I am sorry to hear about your cat, it is never easy to lose a companion.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get it, I really do...I've said good-bye to seven dogs and three cats and every last one ripped my heart out.

But here's the thing...as long as you keep drinking, nothing really heals. You just keep reliving the grieving. It keeps you forever stuck in that terrible place and your kitties would be so sad for you.

Put down the booze and honor their memories the way they deserve. Sober really is the better way.

Sending you a hug.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your cat.

And, I think loneliness is often a problem that alcoholics deal with because it's an isolating disease. Have you thought of volunteering in your neighbourhood or city? It's a great way to meet sober, caring people and to do something you feel good about. Maybe you could help at an animal shelter? I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my dog is my lil buddy and it would crush me if he was killed and I know it will crush me when he dies. im truly sorry for your loss,cassie.
something to posted:
"My cat was run over, and I realise many people could deal with that.."
yes,they do. they hurt just like you are. they allow themselves to feel and grieve...without alcohol.
when my dad died I stayed drunk for 3 years straight. it did absolutely nothing but make my existence worse. I never allowed myself to grieve and feel.

please throw out the alcohol. it aint gonna make anything better.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss Cassie6! I still miss my old dog that passed away years ago. I really regret that I was drinking throughout his whole life. Anyways, after a while, you may be ready for a new pet.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Cassie,

I am very sorry to hear about your cat.

I echo what others have said though. You will only be able to grieve properly when you are sober. Drinking is just delaying the inevitable and making things worse. I hope you can throw the rest of it out.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm really sorry for your loss I understand it must have been devastating x

Drinking doesn't make it better it makes us worse

I hope we can help you grieve in sobriety
Old 12-16-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat. Why not honor her memory by getting another cat who needs a loving home?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinking on grief never works tho - all you do (if you're lucky) is push the pain aside for little while, but it always comes back...and we drink again..

we never heal, the wound stays red raw and we become more and more reliant on something that is more and more losing it's effectiveness because we're using it so much.

It's ok to feel sad - its a natural response., We cry, we stop crying, and we start to process our loss. Don't put off that process by drinking any more Cassie.

D
Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cassie, I'm so sorry about your beloved cat. Losing a fur baby is very hard and add the element of shock, from an unexpected accident, and grief is compounded.

I lost my tiny poodle last month, she was almost 17. It hurt terribly...literally a physical pain in my chest. I also lost my father this year, the single biggest loss of my life.

Both of these losses were hard, very hard, but being sober helped me make healthy decisions, so I could move forward.

I hope you decide to stop drinking and take care of yourself.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cassie, I had a cat who was like the four-legged love of my life, and then later I got another one I loved almost as much. Maybe even AS much. It is so hard to lose them. Most of us have had to go through it. Cry all you want.

I'm grieving right now for someone too (two-legged).

I'm glad you went to a meeting tonight. You said it helped, so how about more of those?

And I think volunteering is one of the best things you could possibly do. It's going to get you out of your house and probably out of your head for a while. You're going to come into contact with other people and you're going to be helping others, and I don't see how that could fail to affect you positively in some way.

Instead of turning to the drink every time, turn to us instead. Be strong. Hugs.